Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 254, 255, 256 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

I don't know

As usual, I just skimmed your answer, but this seemed to be the pertinent point Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:
How are the no deal preparations going? Smile

I thought I heard the EU is taking them very seriously.

So are we. £4.2bn has been allocated to Brexit spending, of which approximately £3bn will be spent on no-deal planning and arrangements. This has been all over the news. Papers like "The Independent" especially have been whining about it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
M.C wrote:
How are the no deal preparations going? Smile

Arguing for the sake of it once again, aren't you.

Eh? It was a question to steer the conversation... it seems to have worked.

mpd72 CPT wrote:
MC presumed it delivered border control, when in fact nothing changed under it, including freedom of movement.

I really CBA arguing over a dead deal, I'll just post this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46613900

Apparently the EU are going to offer us a years extension... that's nice of them.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I don't know

As usual, I just skimmed your answer, but this seemed to be the pertinent point Laughing

You don't help yourself at all, do you. You cannot show any knowledge whatever, but just witter uselessly. So I feel no hesitation in an overdue *plonk*.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many is that now? Laughing Don't worry chicken I still love you Wub

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It was a question to steer the conversation... it seems to have worked.

Yeah, right. If you want to make a point, spell it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
About 'so we'll go out with a No Deal because that's the default'
It's the current default. It can easily be changed.

I think you missed my point that if Parliament can't agree on an alternative the agreed default is exit on 29th March. How easy is agreement going to be?

Sorry if I missed something; the problem is that if they can't agree, it is possible that the government itself will change the date, of its own volition. Does that answer?

I hope not, of course, and I very much hope that "no deal" stays firmly on the table to focus attention.

I think that getting agreement is going to be very difficult, and that "running down the clock" has a lot to be said for it. The problem I see is that Remainers won't I think agree to anything that helps us leave, and that Labour are still trying to get their own man in and a nice helping of power.

It's all a bit sticky. God. I hope we get out, one way or another. If not, there will be trouble.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 23:48 - 16 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Woe is me! Plonked by Reijufixing! Whatever will I do?! Crying or Very sad

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
the problem is that if they can't agree, it is possible that the government itself will change the date of its own accord.

Can it do that without Parliamentary agreement? If Parliament can't agree then the clock is ticking towards the default No Deal Brexit.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
M.C wrote:
It was a question to steer the conversation... it seems to have worked.

Yeah, right. If you want to make a point, spell it out.

No one else found it cryptic Thinking

mpd72 CPT wrote:
M.C wrote:

I really CBA arguing over a dead deal, I'll just post this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46613900

That’s nothing to do with the dead deal, that’s a fantasy white paper about what might happen if there was ever an after life and the EU let us go. It was also too soft and still didn’t regain proper control on immigration.

I’ve shown you that freedom of movement, like all other EU rules, would continue under May’s dead deal. The scary part was, there was no assurance that the EU would ever agree an exit from the dead deal and could even start charging us again after 2 years.

I wasn’t having a pop, merely stating that a lot of people assumed the deal actually delivered some form of leaving due to lies and smoke screens from May, where in fact nothing technically changed.

I'm sure I said last time that May's deal was only the first part, there's a line in that article (fixed the link btw) that says about freedom of movement/post-brexit talks but for now I CBA going into it.

Who knows if the EU do 'grant' us more time, and it's used as a basis for a Labour/Lib Dem/SNP/DUP et al deal then it might become relevant again.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
the problem is that if they can't agree, it is possible that the government itself will change the date of its own accord.

Can it do that without Parliamentary agreement? If Parliament can't agree then the clock is ticking towards the default No Deal Brexit.

Unfortunately it can. I might've posted it earlier, hang on...

Edit: Yes, here it is, from 23:20:

The relevant words are in the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018:

20. Interpretation:

"exit day" means 29 March 2019 at 11.00 p.m. (and see subsections (2) to (5));

(2) In this Act references to before, after or on exit day, or to beginning with exit day, are to be read as references to before, after or at 11.00 p.m. on 29 March 2019 or (as the case may be) to beginning with 11.00 p.m. on that day

(4) A Minister of the Crown may by regulations—
(a) amend the definition of “exit day” in subsection (1) to ensure that the day and time specified in the definition are the day and time that the Treaties are to cease to apply to the United Kingdom, and
(b) amend subsection (2) in consequence of any such amendment.

So basically, a Cabinet minister says "Oh we need to change the date", and writes a new one in. There is little that can be done to prevent this, and it is possible that parliament may force it to happen (but I hope not).

Last edited by Riejufixing on 00:15 - 17 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

Laughing

I only remember one other person who used to 'plonk' Thinking

It is him

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:27 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's call the whole thing off, go back to 27 separate nations with the French being French, the germans, german, the dutch, dutch that wacky kind of thing.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The relevant words are in the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018:

20. Interpretation:

"exit day" means 29 March 2019 at 11.00 p.m. (and see subsections (2) to (5));

(2) In this Act references to before, after or on exit day, or to beginning with exit day, are to be read as references to before, after or at 11.00 p.m. on 29 March 2019 or (as the case may be) to beginning with 11.00 p.m. on that day

(4) A Minister of the Crown may by regulations—
(a) amend the definition of “exit day” in subsection (1) to ensure that the day and time specified in the definition are the day and time that the Treaties are to cease to apply to the United Kingdom, and
(b) amend subsection (2) in consequence of any such amendment.

So basically, a Cabinet minister says "Oh we need to change the date", and writes a new one in. There is little that can be done to prevent this, and it is possible that parliament may force it to happen (but I hope not).

That can't be right. What about the EU?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Laughing

I only remember one other person who used to 'plonk' Thinking

It is him

Tut Tut Careful now. Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

That can't be right. What about the EU?

OK, while our government can easily change *our* definition of exit day, &/OR withdraw our A.50TEU notification (as the EU have said they can), there's still a bit of a problem (depending on your definition of "problem").

If "we" just wanted to re-schedule our exit, we would have to change the definition of exit day in our legislation, and the EU would have to agree to extend the A.50 date too.

If "we" wanted to stop our exit completely, we would have to withdraw unilaterally our A.50 letter, and clean up our own legislation, perhaps by extending the date long enough for parliament as a whole to get rid of it.

That's about it, from the EU's point of view.

Now, remembering back to the old days of UKIP, when we were talking about "the nuclear option", of just repealing the European Communities Act 1972 (this is what the 2018 EU (Withdrawal) Act does in a controlled way, see above post); it's the ultimate safeguard against the EU going completely totalitarian or whatever, assuming of course that our parliament still has some degree of independence.

"Taking the nuclear option" could be done if, for instance, the EU somehow flatly refused to let us out. It could also be done if our parliament developed the desire (it won't, currently) to leave unilaterally. It would mean a new Act to simply repeal the 1972 Act, or amending the definition of exit day in the 2018 Withdrawal Act to (for instance) tomorrow.

Then we'd be out of the EU, and they couldn't do anything about it.

However, unfortunately that's vanishingly unlikely to happen at the moment. There would be a right old hoo-ha about it if we did!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's late, I'm tired and I'm not sure I understand your point. We've declared article 50 so according to the EU's own rules we are out on 29th March by default.

The only alternatives are;

Arrow we unilaterally rescind article 50, repeal the act and thus remain in the EU indefinitely,

Arrow we ask the EU for an extension, which would require all EU members to agree, and we then continue to argue and faff over Leave or Remain for another couple of years, to no end,

The default is still No Deal Brexit on 29th March unless there is an agreement on withdrawal or an extension, both of which seem highly unlikely considering there is a united EU and a divide UK parliament. Also undesirable.

No deal? Bring me that horizon. Let's move on.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
It's late, I'm tired and I'm not sure I understand your point. We've declared article 50 so according to the EU's own rules we are out on 29th March by default.

Arrow we unilaterally rescind article 50, repeal the act and thus remain in the EU indefinitely,

Arrow we ask the EU for an extension, which would require all EU members to agree, and we then continue to argue and faff over Leave or Remain for another couple of years, to no end,

The default is still No Deal Brexit on 29th March unless there is an agreement on withdrawal or an extension, both of which seem highly unlikely considering there is a united EU and a divide UK parliament. Also undesirable.

The point is only that yes, we leave on the 29th by default, but the default can and might be changed.

The most likely thing I think if there's to be any change is that exit day is redefined. I don't think we'll stay in. I bloody well hope not, anyway.

I do *not* like the idea of an extension and the redefinition of exit day, by the way. It's just that it could happen. If it does, I think there will be trouble, but that depends on what the plan might be.

I'm not giving away any secrets here, you understand, Remainers in parliament and their allies outside it know these things, and who knows what else they'll get up to besides.

There are two sorts of Remainer, though:

1) Those who accept the result of the vote, and work to go forwards - OK.
2) Those who don't accept the result, and try to change it - scum.

Edit: My preferences, in order of acceptability:

1) An exit arrangement as long as it gets us fully out on March 29th.
2) A no-deal exit on March 29th..
3) An exit after March 29th as long as it gets us fully out.
4) Nothing else is acceptable.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:22 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Repeal of A50 and stopping of Brexit are totally doable, there is a huge majority for it in Parliament but it will cause a split in the Conservative party meaning that Jeremy Corbyn stays in until the Brexiteers get to leave the EU. It's true that the remainers can bring down the government by working with Labour, but the Brexiteers can erase the party from existence. Worse still for the Tories the grassroots back Brexit so the "body" of the party (associations etc) would be going with the splitters. The younger conservatives are also mostly Brexiteers, the remainer types all go to Labour.

No hard Brexiteer is asking for a no deal, we just want a Canada style free trade agreement with some cooperation where it benefits both sides. The media conflates this with "walking away" or "crashing out" or "not having a deal" which is far from the case. However we also don't want to be in the EU by the back door either.

Both sides (remainers and Brexiteers) still think they can win by towing May to their position. That's why it didn't blow up today, both sides saw it as a victory. When one side realises they have lost then we will see the real vote of no confidence. Maybe the remainers will work with Labour if they lose to get a second ref or vote of no confidence, and if the Brexiteers lose it will probably be the end of the party.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair almost every single friend I have are wanting a hard exit. We've wanted it from the start.
Why? Despite some 'offerings' that government gave us (tax breaks etc), we've literally had enough. We want a complete change now. For us up here life really isn't working out well.
Because of the above it doesn't matter about how hard it will hit us - it literally can't get any worse!! Bring a split on. We don't care.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 254, 255, 256 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 255 of 523