Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 255, 256, 257 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:28 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
336,000 signatures is almost a record isn't it?

I believe the record is held by the road pricing petition that had 1.8 million signatures.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1543375/Blair-rebuffs-1.8m-who-signed-road-petition.html

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder if the politicians are running scared that if they do have another referendum they find another win for leave (possibly with no deal depending on the wording).

They would be totally shafted then as they would have no wriggle room, however tenuous, to ignore it.

Polls might say remain has it, they said that before, but I really think a lot the leave voters have learnt it's easier (and safer) to keep quiet about their views and just show what they want at the ballot box.

In other words, I was pretty sure Project Fear and the politicians absolute fuck up had turned it in favour of remain, I'm not quite so sure now.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
No hard Brexiteer is asking for a no deal,

Well, it's actually the most popular option for leave voters. The latest polls had Don't know at 6-7%, Remain at 41% and Leave on 52%, of which 30% want to leave with no deal and only 22% wanted May's deal. Looking at social media and hearing people in offices when I'm out for work, the No Deal, WTO option seems a hell of a lot more popular than the media are letting on.

As the next deal on the table will be no different to a tweaked version of the latest stitch up and Corbyn is making damn sure the most popular choice from voters is not allowed and ruled out, we'll end up with the softest Brexit you could imagine.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-there-was-a-referendum-tomorrow-with-the-option-of-accepting-the-governments-brexit-agreement-or-leaving-the-eu-without-a-deal-which-would-you-support-2-2/

I know these petitions are a waste of time and the government played this one down by brushing it aside and "debating" it briefly in a side chamber, along with a dozen other Brexit petitions, but 336,000 signatures is almost a record isn't it?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/229963

They want a deal they just don't trust politicians to negotiate a proper leave deal. No deal is better than remain or May's deal, but an FTA is the most sensible approach. But at the moment it looks more like we will be getting a choice between a bigger fudge and remain, so anarchy or some kind of violent putch is the most likely outcome. When the attacks start then the media class and politicians will probably start to realise the magnitude of their mistake.

Polarbear wrote:
I do wonder if the politicians are running scared that if they do have another referendum they find another win for leave (possibly with no deal depending on the wording).

They would be totally shafted then as they would have no wriggle room, however tenuous, to ignore it.

Polls might say remain has it, they said that before, but I really think a lot the leave voters have learnt it's easier (and safer) to keep quiet about their views and just show what they want at the ballot box.

In other words, I was pretty sure Project Fear and the politicians absolute fuck up had turned it in favour of remain, I'm not quite so sure now.

No deal will not be on the ballot. You will have 2 choices:
- Remain
- May's deal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:31 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remain has already had its chance on the ballot paper and it lost.

But let's say that's ignored, remain is an option on the second referendum and it won. What then? Another two years of faffing around before having a third referendum to determine the overall winner?

If the result of the first referendum is ignored, what makes you think the result of the second one would be paid attention to?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

If the result of the first referendum is ignored, what makes you think the result of the second one would be paid attention to?

The fact that our politicians are a bunch of undemocratic, conniving bastards?

it will be pitched as, "well this time, you knew what you were voting for, so it counts" Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Remain has already had its chance on the ballot paper and it lost.

But let's say that's ignored, remain is an option on the second referendum and it won. What then? Another two years of faffing around before having a third referendum to determine the overall winner?

The choice would be between a softer May Brexit or Remain, so Remain would win as its the only option on the ballot paper Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might say May's deal has been discounted by Parliament, No Deal is off the table, so you have a choice between Remain and...er...Remain.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Corbyn is doing himself any favours by ignoring May's meetings.

Even if he went and rejected everything at least it would look like he was trying to do something for the country.

Now he looks like any other politician who puts himself and party above the country. Evil or Very Mad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Because if it's remain, it'll be the right outcome Folded arms Any democracy at local or as we've found out, even national (referendum) level is just an illusion.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes:

Monarchy => Democracy => Mob rule => Monarchy etc etc, ad infinitum, world without end.

I'm looking forward to mob rule, if only for the new experience Twisted Evil
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:18 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbyn wants no deal to be taken off the table as an option. Correct me if I'm wrong, no deal Brexit is what will happen if an agreement isn't reached on any other deal?

Corbyn has met with Hezbollah, with Hamas, with the Iranian-backed Mahdi Army militia, he's defended vicious anti-Semites and racists to name but a few. He stands no chance of having any influence on a deal if he continues refusing to meet with May.

The French are making preparations for a no deal Brexit:

"France triggers €50m contingency plan in case of no-deal Brexit
Five decrees to be issued within three weeks to authorise investment in border control checkpoints, roads and lorry parks at ports"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/17/france-triggers-50m-contingency-plan-in-case-of-no-deal-brexit

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, no deal Brexit is what will happen if an agreement isn't reached on any other deal?

That's how it would have been without the Gina Miller* et al legal challenge. It's a double edged sword as without it right now we'd be leaving with May's deal, however it looks like we'll either leave with an even further watered down deal (staying in the customs union etc.) or not leaving at all.

*she knew exactly what would happen by giving Parliament a say Rolling Eyes

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Isn't it about time Liz stepped in and kicked some bollocks?

This lot in parliament are putting themselves before Queen and country.

You're sounding more and more demented, before Queen & country Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing We should have become a republic a looong time ago, that is 1 thing the french certainly got right

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
It goes:

Monarchy => Democracy => Mob rule => Monarchy etc etc, ad infinitum, world without end.

I'm looking forward to mob rule, if only for the new experience Twisted Evil

Isn't it about time Liz stepped in and kicked some bollocks?

And deprive me of my fun? No way! Let's stick to the traditional order of things. It's the only chance the poor man has of getting what he wants in this cycle.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
We should have become a republic a looong time ago, that is 1 thing the french certainly got right

That's one thing we can agree on Smile I still can't believe people were fooled by a little rebranding during WW1.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The French are making preparations for a no deal Brexit:

"France triggers €50m contingency plan in case of no-deal Brexit
Five decrees to be issued within three weeks to authorise investment in border control checkpoints, roads and lorry parks at ports"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/17/france-triggers-50m-contingency-plan-in-case-of-no-deal-brexit

We're rather ahead of them. Since 2016, we've allocated about £4.2bn on Brexit planning; approximately £3bn on no-deal planning. Most this has already been spent. Remember the "£107m spent on ferries" whingeing just before Christmas? A leftist Remainer publication called "The Independent" has been moaning about this spending for ages.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Shush, the grown ups are talking.

It's Her Majesty's Government you tool. She has the final say if needed. It's how our constitution works child.

I'm sure they might well be, but you're too busy auditioning for the part of court jester to listen !! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 255, 256, 257 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 256 of 523