Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 261, 262, 263 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Well, Mogg's beginning to come around to "the deal", which is a help.

Interesting. Source?
How come our awful Home Office Minister didn't have to stand up and
perform the U-turn over fees?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Rob Fzs wrote:
This thing about what the Lisbon treaty says is fundamentally wrong , it's been debunked numerous times and if you're gonna make a argument for leave, actually use official documents, rather than horseshit concocted by Leave means Leave and the other knuckle dragging hard brexit groups

Actually, we don't have to make an argument for leave. In case you didn't notice a majority have already voted for it.

We should leave, end of.

It is calm and tranquil to think of it being as simple as that.

But we mibby need to deal with the bastirts later to sell (whatever it is we still manufacture)

We cannot trust The US of Arseholes with Trump on his Nationalisation agenda and the Chinese/Indians have most of everything else covered.

Or is that I do not know what the hell I am talking about same as every other party in this 'deal'?

My theory was to complain to the EU and complain to the EU, and complain to the EU until they ejected us.

We would be in the same boat as we are now. But probably get out free and not have to pay any dues.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
Well, Mogg's beginning to come around to "the deal", which is a help.

Interesting. Source?

Rather a backhanded statement, but nonetheless a statement of some sort:

"Writing in the Mail on Sunday Mr Rees-Mogg added: “If I had to choose between no deal and Mrs May’s original accord, I would have no hesitation of opting for a no-deal Brexit but even Mrs May’s deal would be better than not leaving at all.”"

Getting blood out of a stone. Bless!

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:53 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:
Remain is a status quo, with revolutionary changes being very hypothetical, with more than even chance of minor, evolutionary steps (based on evidence over decades of experience so far).

Deliberate, incremental change is what brought us to Brexit.

The EU is gradually moving away from unanimity to qualified majority voting (QMV)*, so nations (sorry, "states") could be outvoted and obliged to accept policies they don't like. Westminster uses QMV of course, but there's a difference between applying a single set of rules to a nation compared to a whole continent of diverse economies and cultures. I don't think it can work, and it's already created a resistance movement usually labelled nationalist, populist, right-wing, which threatens peace. The EU did this.

*Junker's last "state of the union' speech went further and called for QMV in taxation and foreign affairs. He also urged increased cooperation in defence.

As EU grows in size and worldwide importance, its governance must be streamlined; as you correctly observed, even in as small country as UK a whim of some Nowhereshire cannot obstruct the whole union. EU didn't "do" anything out of ordinary; the devil here is in portraying that normal process as something evil; a pathetic excuse for Brexit, but alas, it could be spun enough to trick the voters.

Riejufixing wrote:
Mrs May's said again that a "no-deal" must remain a possibility; that Article 50 won't be extended; the referendum result must be respected, we will leave; the Good Friday Agreement will not be reopened; workers' rights won't be eroded; EU people can stay, without paying application fees; and that there won't be a hard UK/Ireland border. So that's all good, too.

So we will have cake and eat it, and not get fat in the result, and it will end with us having more cakes than before we ate one, and it will be full of honey and almonds which will taste of port and lemon.
And if EU won't make us such cake, we will stab ourselves in the stomach on their new sofa, which they cannot accept because they will not want to clean the sofa.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
Mrs May's said again that a "no-deal" must remain a possibility; that Article 50 won't be extended; the referendum result must be respected, we will leave; the Good Friday Agreement will not be reopened; workers' rights won't be eroded; EU people can stay, without paying application fees; and that there won't be a hard UK/Ireland border. So that's all good, too.

So we will have cake and eat it, and not get fat in the result, and it will end with us having more cakes than before we ate one, and it will be full of honey and almonds which will taste of port and lemon.
And if EU won't make us such cake, we will stab ourselves in the stomach on their new sofa, which they cannot accept because they will not want to clean the sofa.

Yoiu what? What have you been drinking!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:

Fuck me, I do believe he's grasped it at last! Laughing

Cake - it's what Brexit is really about Cool
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:

Exactly Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
As EU grows in size and worldwide importance, its governance must be streamlined.

Spoken like a true EUpean. As said, I find that a worrying prospect.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:10 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:
As EU grows in size and worldwide importance, its governance must be streamlined.

Spoken like a true EUpean. As said, I find that a worrying prospect.

Why would it worry you? Do you worry about sharing a government with London, or with Northern Ireland?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? Why has there been devolution with Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland then? People don't want a central government that doesn't understand or care about them.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
stand up and perform the U-turn

U-turn, U-turn, did someone say "U-turn"?

https://www.dominicgrieve.org.uk/news/dominic-grieves-election-message-constituents

Can you splee "Hypocritical bastard"?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Why would it worry you? Do you worry about sharing a government with London, or with Northern Ireland?

No because (The City aside) the regions of the UK are not that different. Trying to destroy diversity by imposing common rules on the four points of the European compass isn't something I welcome, and it doesn't work economically.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:46 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:

No because (The City aside) the regions of the UK are not that different. Trying to destroy diversity by imposing common rules on the four points of the European compass isn't something I welcome, and it doesn't work economically.

I'd say that there are more differences between Belgravia and Belfast than between Spain and Sweden?

Loss of diversity is a byproduct of technology that eases communication, not a political agenda. It's not EU that imposed that authentic Sicilian cuisine on a Lancashire market town.

As for economy, I'd argue that a degree of legal unification facilitates business.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:51 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Eh? Why has there been devolution with Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland then? People don't want a central government that doesn't understand or care about them.

Local and central government aren't mutually exclusive, and I believe no one argues they should be.
My point is that given our common economic and interests, shared political agenda, and similar cultural background, we should adopt unified governance at EU level to streamline our cooperation, not unlike England and Scotland did not that long ago.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
As for economy, I'd argue that a degree of legal unification facilitates business.

What do you think about a common currency or harmonised taxation?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:

I don't know how harmonised the taxation is as I've never really cared, but I know that the Dutch VAT is more than ours, Germany is less than ours, Ireland is more, and the Swiss are paying less than everyone else!

Doesn't seem harmonised in the true sense of the word.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
M.C wrote:

Local and central government aren't mutually exclusive, and I believe no one argues they should be.
My point is that given our common economic and interests, shared political agenda, and similar cultural background, we should adopt unified governance at EU level to streamline our cooperation, not unlike England and Scotland did not that long ago.

You'll notice people on the whole disagree with that, hence Brexit, hence the Catalan independence movement.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
I don't know how harmonised the taxation is as I've never really cared, but I know that the Dutch VAT is more than ours, Germany is less than ours, Ireland is more, and the Swiss are paying less than everyone else!

Doesn't seem harmonised in the true sense of the word.

It isn't harmonised yet, but it's been proposed. A vote for Remain because the status quo seems acceptable ignores the fact that this is our last chance to act unilaterally before the 27 states move towards ever closer union, some unwillingly due to QMV.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:52 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:

Common currency is a global power 101. Imagine running a big business in USA, China, or India, and dealing with 10 local currencies each of these countries. Ridiculous idea, right?

I know little about taxes, so please don't value my opinion too much, but I think that we've seen state-level taxes being used to poach business from fellow EU countries rather than compete globally, so I can see at least some merits in harmonising them.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 261, 262, 263 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 262 of 523