Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Except that Parliament voted 'meaningfully' not to do just that. If the EU doesn't agree to an extension, we will have to cancel Article 50 sharpish instead to comply with the will of Parliament.

"Meaningfully" is just a word. It has no meaning unless it is acted upon. But parliament has been in deadlock for these months past. Nothing they have voted against thus far has got us any further (perhaps if they came up with something worthwhile to vote for...you know, like a realistic alternative to the current WA Rolling Eyes ).

They've voted down a second referendum. Why? Don't know about you, but I heard lots of talk about what it would mean for democracy, and what it would do to confidence (if any remains at this point) in our system.
So what would the feeling be if they revoked article 50? Why would they vote against a second referendum but not be against this? They would have to turn about 180deg in whatever limited shreds of principle they might still have. Now, I wouldn't put that past them, but then what will we have gone through all this for? Why didn't the EU and our politicians tell us in the first place we couldn't leave? Why didn't Remainers, who apparently know everything, tell us when the idea of a referendum was first mooted? Why didn't they tell Cameron? This, if anything, could well generate some serious unrest in this country. And if you don't think that's likely, why have the government, police etc admitted that this could happen, warned of it? I mean, I know they don't understand what the public in general think, because they're so detached from them, but even so...
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:
Meanwhile, another interesting sanity check.

We rely on CHEAP labour to harvest our crops. FFS we have 60 million people in the UK and you think we need more to pick some veggies, your in cuckoo land.

It is usually a great idea to read the argument you're disputing; Mr. Chinn has some strong words on this very subject:

Quote:
“We’re really at the point where we either import the workers or we import the asparagus.”

I can understand him; why would the Brits, happily employed in, say, underwriting Swiss' car insurance, suddenly wanted to become veg pickers? I guess it's not me who is cloud cuckoo here 🤔

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, I agree with most of what you say. I do disagree with your assertion that Remainers know everything, because as a Remainer I certainly don't.

What do the 'public in general' think? As I see it, there is a group who feel betrayed, a group who voted to leave who would prefer to go with some sort of negotiated deal, a group who want the whole thing to go away and a group who couldn't care less one way or the other.

Whatever happens somebody won't be happy, but I'm not sure you can identify what the 'public in general' thinks and neither can the Government.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

We rely on CHEAP labour to harvest our crops. FFS we have 60 million people in the UK and you think we need more to pick some veggies, your in cuckoo land.

It is usually a great idea to read the argument you're disputing; Mr. Chinn has some strong words on this very subject:

I did - note

British farms typically pay workers the national minimum wage of 7.83 pounds an hour plus performance-related bonuses.

He doesn't say how much he charges for accommodation. He doesn't say they are on a contract that means they get workplace pension, guaranteed hours, a guaranteed job.

He just wants cheap labour on no hours contracts with no pension rights, no holiday rights, no sick pay rights. If he was giving his workers that sort of contract you can bet a pound to a pinch of shit he would be shouting it to the rooftops.

He's just another modern day mill owner. If he paid enough, he'd get British workers.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:39 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:

I did - note

British farms typically pay workers the national minimum wage of 7.83 pounds an hour plus performance-related bonuses.

He doesn't say how much he charges for accommodation. He doesn't say they are on a contract that means they get workplace pension, guaranteed hours, a guaranteed job.

He just wants cheap labour on no hours contracts with no pension rights, no holiday rights, no sick pay rights. If he was giving his workers that sort of contract you can bet a pound to a pinch of shit he would be shouting it to the rooftops.

He's just another modern day mill owner. If he paid enough, he'd get British workers.

He says margins in agriculture are thin, and I'm inclined to believe him, since we already subsidise farming a lot. Now if his costs increase, where will he get the extra money? Our grocery bills, of course.

Or he will find himself a higher-margin occupation, like hundreds of thousands of British ex-farming people in the last decades. And we will import even more food, which I guess is not exactly what the Leave now and never come back!!! movement wants to achieve.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:

He says margins in agriculture are thin, and I'm inclined to believe him, since we already subsidise farming a lot. Now if his costs increase, where will he get the extra money? Our grocery bills, of course.

Or he will find himself a higher-margin occupation, like hundreds of thousands of British ex-farming people in the last decades. And we will import even more food, which I guess is not exactly what the Leave now and never come back!!! movement wants to achieve.

Then he puts his prices up. That's what every business does. If he can't compete with European farmers than he should want us out of the EU. If he can't compete with farmers from other non EU countries in the present global market he folds and we import from those countries.

I somewhat suspect he rather likes the no hours cheap Europeans to boost his profits though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I do disagree with your assertion that Remainers know everything, because as a Remainer I certainly don't.

But, Val and Roman Numeral Man! Laughing

Thinking

Why aren't they running this country?

Come on, Remainers are always telling us what will happen. You mean they don't know?! Shocked

Just send me my sarcasm gold medal in the post Smile

Diggs wrote:
I'm not sure you can identify what the 'public in general' thinks and neither can the Government.

Well, I think we can take a reasonable stab in the dark as to what 17.5 million of them would think.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
That's one reason we're getting out. For your delectation and delight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2Ql3wOGcU

In Soviet Russia, EU leaves YOU.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

17.5 million who's view is split between feeling betrayed, wanting some kind of agreement that works in our favour, changed their minds, lost interest and died since the referendum....

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/breaking-brexit-john-bercow-blocks-meaningful-vote-3-in-blow-to-theresa-may/ar-BBUVhvH?li=BBoPRmx&ocid=spartanntp

That's put the cat amongst the pigeons!

Things are changing hour by hour, but this decision from the speaker-hobbit makes 'no-deal' or cancelling the whole mess altogether more likely....

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get that. How come the vote was allowed the second time then, because there was basically fcuk all different.

"In an unexpected statement in the House of Commons, Bercow cited regulations dating back to 1604."

Yeah and we know what happened the year after that Very Happy

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Is this the referendum which remain lost or this fantasy one which wasn’t fair so needs holding until you win?

It's the referendum between real remain and imaginary leave unicorn rocket palace house burning down

Brexit IS racism
Thumbs Up

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Diggs wrote:
17.5 million who's view is split between feeling betrayed, wanting some kind of agreement that works in our favour, changed their minds, lost interest and died since the referendum....

Is this the referendum which remain lost or this fantasy one which wasn’t fair so needs holding until you win?

It is the one where people with broad views had two options. If you read what I typed you will see the context.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
As I see it, there is a group who feel betrayed, a group who voted to leave who would prefer to go with some sort of negotiated deal, a group who want the whole thing to go away and a group who couldn't care less one way or the other.

Whatever happens somebody won't be happy, but I'm not sure you can identify what the 'public in general' thinks and neither can the Government.

Remember the vote?

It was Stay or Leave...

No mention of a deal or no deal.... JUST LEAVE Rolling Eyes

The only group that should be unhappy is the GENERAL PUBLIC as the so called elected seem to not understand just what the majority voted for.
Yet they seem to be hell bent on doing their best to ignore the will of the people.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/breaking-brexit-john-bercow-blocks-meaningful-vote-3-in-blow-to-theresa-may/ar-BBUVhvH?li=BBoPRmx&ocid=spartanntp

That's put the cat amongst the pigeons!

Things are changing hour by hour, but this decision from the speaker-hobbit makes 'no-deal' or cancelling the whole mess altogether more likely....

Theresa May has spent a lot of time, effort and unknown amount of money last few days to DUP and Bercow just made all that effort redundant Laughing Laughing Laughing

Also left her with 2 options: People's vote on her deal or to revoke A50.

Works for me.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parliament had their chance to negotiate a deal, and the failed. Now is the time to deliver on the vote with a no deal unless the EU come to their senses and ditch the backstop.

bhinso wrote:
I don't get that. How come the vote was allowed the second time then, because there was basically fcuk all different.

"In an unexpected statement in the House of Commons, Bercow cited regulations dating back to 1604."

Yeah and we know what happened the year after that Very Happy

It was reasonable under the circumstances to give her a second go, but at this point she is just trying to brute force the bill through by asking until she gets the right answer. This is the same attitude remoaners have to the referendum, ask until people give the right answer then stop asking. So in this case I do not think she should be allowed to ask again unless the backstop is removed at which point IMO its a fundamentally different deal.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and there's the rub. What is needed to make it a different deal? Its not like there is recent, relevant precedent.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 336 of 523