Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 336, 337, 338 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit and what do I think will happen?

It's a sh*t show of a shambles and nothing's going forward. Government now need a major distraction to help divert attention so that they can slip a sly decision through. We've seen them do that umpteen times.

My prediction is that government fabricate a major event. A series of bombs are detonated in cities, Dozens of civilians are killed and many injured. The government kill their own people.
A brutal prediction but we only have a few weeks now so watch this space..

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
...and there's the rub. What is needed to make it a different deal? Its not like there is recent, relevant precedent.

Depends on the speakers ruling. Removing the backstop would probably count, further "assurances" probably wouldn't. The gov will need to wait until a new parliament, or prorogue the current one for a day or two. But... if she tries to prorogue Labour will probably bring a no confidence vote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the IRA wrote:
we only have a few weeks now so watch this space..

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
the IRA wrote:
we only have a few weeks now so watch this space..

9 sitting days

19, 20, 21, 22, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Diggs wrote:
...and there's the rub. What is needed to make it a different deal? Its not like there is recent, relevant precedent.

Who decides, Staunch Remainer Bercrow?

This man has too much power IMO. He’s supposed to play refereee not rule and game changer.

In this he is correct though. Three votes on an unchanged deal? A ludicrous waste of Parliamentary time.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Who decides, Staunch Remainer Bercrow?

Say what you like about Bercrow, he has skills, afterall; he has a crackerjack pencil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINbNn1tNKg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I don't get that. How come the vote was allowed the second time then, because there was basically fcuk all different.

"In an unexpected statement in the House of Commons, Bercow cited regulations dating back to 1604."

Yeah and we know what happened the year after that Very Happy

I think that Bercow was unaware of any such "rule", and that he was only informed about the possibility due to and by some remainer who refuses to accept the result of the referendum.

Note: He did say that "his ruling should not be considered the last word on the matter". We shall see.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
(Bercow) left her with 2 options: People's vote on her deal or to revoke A50.

That's not true, is it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Reality: we rely on EU-imported labour to grow domestic crops.

So what? We have done for hundreds of years. That's before the EU was invented, you know.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I can’t help but think Blair and Miller are in close contact with him. I’d like this investigated.

You need to stop imagining shit which justifies your beliefs.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mention about those poor farmers and how we'll starve with no foreign labour: I bet the farmer drives a brand new Range Rover each year.
You know how those catch the immigrant cop shows on TV were either at an Indian takeaway, an abattoir or a bloody farm - farmers know fine well they're employing people they shouldn't.

6,5,_,3,2,...

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:46 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Mention about those poor farmers and how we'll starve with no foreign labour: I bet the farmer drives a brand new Range Rover each year.
You know how those catch the immigrant cop shows on TV were either at an Indian takeaway, an abattoir or a bloody farm - farmers know fine well they're employing people they shouldn't.

6,5,_,3,2,...

What if the opposite is true?

Farms have been netting on average 42k per annum over the past few years.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
“On average” could well include a lot of very small farms. General cropping averaged over £90k and dairy averaged £120k. It’s not that bad.

OMG

It's so hard

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:
You know how those catch the immigrant cop shows on TV were either at an Indian tak doeaway, an abattoir or a bloody farm - farmers know fine well they're employing people they shouldn't.

6,5,_,3,2,...

Don't forget that Old MacDonald is a wily old bastard and will have put his spanking new Rangie and the missus matching one through the books as a tax deductible expense, let's see how that works out for the average employee pulling that stunt with HMRC.
Growing up in a rural area I can safely say that despite the fact they always moaned about everything it was always farmers who would be driving the spanking new motors, their kids were always the first to get cars among their school peers, usually nicer than those of us growing up in comfortable middle class families could ever hope for, etc, etc.

Getting all the doleys out in the fields would soon solve two problems...

As for John Bercow. Am I correct in thinking that it's ok to keep voting on nearly identical legislation until we get the desired result but it's not ok to hold a second referendum? Choose one or the other ffs!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:

Don't forget that Old MacDonald is a wily old bastard and will have put his spanking new Rangie and the missus matching one through the books as a tax deductible expense, let's see how that works out for the average employee pulling that stunt with HMRC.
Growing up in a rural area I can safely say that despite the fact they always moaned about everything it was always farmers who would be driving the spanking new motors, their kids were always the first to get cars among their school peers, usually nicer than those of us growing up in comfortable middle class families could ever hope for, etc, etc.

Getting all the doleys out in the fields would soon solve two problems...

Quite, as someone who has lived and/or done business in rural Kent for many years, the only poor farmers are tree huggers or the businesses committed to selling half on ounce of something plucked from extinction (and some of those are doing bloody well) in the name of conservation; the proper farmers are minted.

Bercow's role is blindingly obvious - allow a second meaningful (?!) vote to see how big the gap still was, then invoke some 500 year old rule to stop it happening again, because it wasn't close enough.

He had the option of doing it last time and the option of allowing various amendments that would favour the leave faction, but he chose not to, so now the house is backed into a remain corner.

There won't be a second referendum, because they're scared of losing again, so now it's down to someone finding a way of wasting the remaining 9 days so we have to leave on WTO, or a long and probably indefinite extension.

My money is on the latter, there aren't enough influential people with big enough balls to make the former happen.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Don't forget that Old MacDonald is a wily old bastard

Indeed he is. As one who laboured on farms as a teenager and works for farmers in a professional capacity now, I can confirm that farmers employ the cheapest 'reliable' labour, and make as little taxable profit as possible. In both respects they are no different from any other business.

The real difference is that most farmers own their land, buildings, stock and machinery. A typical medium-sized farm around my way shows so little profit the kids are on free school lunches, yet the farmer has a new Range Rover, his Mrs drives a Twin-Cab, the farm has two tractors plus muck-spreaders, snowplough, harrow etc, stock of 200 in the spring and land plus buildings worth a couple of million. Also, the person who does his books is the wife of a farmer, who knows everything about the system.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:30 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

assorted Beautiful Minds wrote:

All farmers are rich as Mogg, because I once saw a farmer driving a nice car.

If we based our opinions on personal experiences, our view would be extremely limited. Collated data helps us see the whole picture, and the concept of an average (once understood; getting there is extremely difficult for some) helps to save us from being distracted by extreme examples, not representative of the general state of affairs.

Last edited by cdlxxvi on 11:11 - 19 Mar 2019; edited 2 times in total

Grizly
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Second Referendum Reply with quote

Surely a second ‘peoples vote’ on Brexit is just asking the same question again – if Parliament can’t be asked the same question then we can’t either.
As Mark Twain said:
If voting made a difference, they wouldn’t let us do it’

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A poor farmer? Haha! Ahahaha!!

Let me tell you about James who farms here. He's a year older than me. He lives in one farm and has 3 others - his 3 ex wives live in those farms rent free and he pays them an allowance yet has no children by them. (he's easy pickings for money grabbers)
James buys (not rents/leases) a brand new Range Rover each year.
James pays minimum wage to every single employee he has - even the ones who've been there longer.
No employee lasts more than 4 years at one of James's farms - they actively seek work elsewhere because their wages are set too low for the work they do.

Dave shares a farm with his brother. Their income is basically halved because of this.
They have the official accounts and they're kept below certain thresholds to avoid mega taxes.
Dave carries two notebooks in his pockets. The notebooks allow him to keep a tab on sales that don't go through the accounts.
The brother lives elsewhere and has a wife who has never worked.
The brother complained recently to me that he could only afford to buy a used, £50k Merc estate as a third car. I'm serious.

And farmers shout and scream for payments to subsidise them. Farmers claim to be poor and hide the true income. If government truly wanted to drag the criminals over the hot coals then they should look at farmers and land owners - oh that's right, a lot are in government..

Off topic I know - just shouting some truths that's all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 336, 337, 338 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 337 of 523