Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 346, 347, 348 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Looking at the gobby minority who Al Beeb were claiming a moral victory for in London yesterday, they'd be right. I think it's quite telling that Leave are marching all the way in stages from the far North down to London, when Remain are only bothered about London.

As for young people shifting left to right, we both know that's not true

It isn't that telling. The handful of Leave voters walking from North to South are trying to echo the Jarrow Crusade in spirit, but are failing to pick up the numbers. This could be due to the weather, people unable to get the time off or all manner of factors, or it could be due to apathy. On the other hand, the number of people attending the march in London has been estimated (don't know if this is true...) as a million, coming from all over GB. Quelle difference.

Regarding young people and the impact of Right wing internet propaganda, I hear kids of an impressionable age repeating YL's arguments daily. Where YL and his lot are particularly effective is in equipping those kids with the 'cover-all' type of comeback that you use, making them think that his arguments are untouchable.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

It isn't that telling. The handful of Leave voters walking from North to South are trying to echo the Jarrow Crusade in spirit, but are failing to pick up the numbers. This could be due to the weather, people unable to get the time off or all manner of factors, or it could be due to apathy. On the other hand, the number of people attending the march in London has been estimated (don't know if this is true...) as a million, coming from all over GB. Quelle difference.

Regarding young people and the impact of Right wing internet propaganda, I hear kids of an impressionable age repeating YL's arguments daily. Where YL and his lot are particularly effective is in equipping those kids with the 'cover-all' type of comeback that you use, making them think that his arguments are untouchable.

This is perfectly normal actually and is more a reflection of the problems behind Brexit. London gets a wonderful, modern, highly efficient transport system that lets them easily assembly a rally of 1 million people. It's £6.20 for a fun day out in the centre.

Riejufixing wrote:

Article 50 & the European Union (Withdrawal) Act almost certainly won't fire on the 29th now. Anti-Deal people have seen to that (see my just-previous post).

That means we will not get out of the EU at that time, which we would otherwise have done. I regret that very much indeed.

So will changing the PM make any difference? Again, that's what Remainers want to do right now, to add to the damage already done to Brexit (see my just-previous post). It would probably be a bad thing to do. No-one else is going to have more success pre-Brexit, exactly the same will happen to them as has happened to the PM in her efforts to get us out.

Will changing the PM after Brexit, assuming there is one, help our negotiations with the EU to get a trade deal? Certainly that's possible, but it's hard to say, and it's harder to say who would be a good candidate, and it's very likely that there will not be any "after Brexit" anyway.

PM doesn't believe in Brexit so yes changing PM would probably make a difference. Even if it didn't, her days are still numbered if only because she screwed up the 17 election, she is seen to have given in too easily to EU demands, and the leading Brexiteers all walked out last year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

PM doesn't believe in Brexit so yes changing PM would probably make a difference. Even if it didn't, her days are still numbered if only because she screwed up the 17 election, she is seen to have given in too easily to EU demands, and the leading Brexiteers all walked out last year.

She got the job for one reason, everyone else recognised the fact that once the deal was done their political career would be finished. Now that you're stuck in the middle of the shit show how many do you suppose would step up as the next sacifrice?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the Remainers in this thread: I still want us out of the EU, now more than ever before. Where have you gone wrong?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancel Article 50, UK "re-enters" the EU... EU collapses in 20 years.

Go with No Deal and sort out our own trade deals... EU collapses in 10 years.

I think I'd rather take the latter option: short term pain for long term gain.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Lol. You're comparing a march, walking, of a couple of hundred miles with a protest where people can jump on a train, bus, in their cars, and many of whom are already in London. Ok, let's see a Remain protest march from London to, say, Newcastle. Fair? When will you be setting off?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Cancel Article 50, UK "re-enters" the EU... EU collapses in 20 years.

And during the subsequent crisis the youth of 2039 ask why the Millenials didn't vote Leave when they had the chance, you've ruined my future, etc. Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Lol. You're comparing a march, walking, of a couple of hundred miles with a protest where people can jump on a train, bus, in their cars, and many of whom are already in London. Ok, let's see a Remain protest march from London to, say, Newcastle. Fair? When will you be setting off?

Probably sooner than Donk, TBF.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the EU as a multi-legged stool. At the moment there are three big strong legs, of similar sizes, in France, Germany and the UK that are holding the thing up. Three legged stools are pretty stable.

Kick one of those legs away and the stool has to rest on some of the smaller legs: Italy, Spain, Netherlands... the stool becomes unbalanced. At best things become uncomfortable and at worst it just falls over the next time you put any pressure on it...

Carpentry Economics: the hot new topic at the LSE Very Happy

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The point I was making is that one is a damp squib and merely a publicity stunt for Nigel Farage and the other is a major event, regardless of where people come from. One could equally argue that starting in the North, Farage's march should have been better attended because that's where the core of Brexit voters come from.

Personally I wouldn't march a long way to support either view, because our MPs have made it quite clear that they are not influenced by public opinion.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

The point I was making is that one is a damp squib and merely a publicity stunt for Nigel Farage and the other is a major event, regardless of where people come from. One could equally argue that starting in the North, Farage's march should have been better attended because that's where the core of Brexit voters come from.

Personally I wouldn't march a long way to support either view, because our MPs have made it quite clear that they are not influenced by public opinion.

I agree that Farage's march is a damp squib, and a mistake in my view. And one can argue all they like, for anything they like, and not take reality into consideration (we're all too starved and emaciated up here to take on such an expedition! Laughing ).

I also agree that MPs are not influenced by public opinion, until it comes to voting in our own elections - and then, only until they get elected to office.

But my point is, you made a comparison, and it was not of like with like.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

The two are completely different animals. How about comparing on the 29th when the March enters London and Leave voters meet at 4PM?

Are you offering me out? Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:

The two are completely different animals. How about comparing on the 29th when the March enters London and Leave voters meet at 4PM?

Are you offering me out? Shocked

I am. But you have to walk to Carlisle to meet me. Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

But my point is, you made a comparison, and it was not of like with like.

It was Mdma who made the comparison originally. I was merely trying to add some perspective to his rather one-sided viewpoint.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I was merely trying to add some perspective to his rather one-sided viewpoint.

You failed Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:08 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
If you look at the EU as a stool.

Thumbs Up

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:
I was merely trying to add some perspective to his rather one-sided viewpoint.

You failed Laughing

Ok lardy-boy, you walk too and I'll meet you half-way. Pistols at dawn Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Ok lardy-boy, you walk too and I'll meet you half-way. Pistols at dawn Very Happy

Right. Let me know when you're at your start point in London Wink

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Right. Let me know when you're at your start point in London Wink

Last one to Scotch Corner buys breakfast...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:12 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 million signatures on that petition now.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Remainers don't know where Newcastle is. Many would starve from lack of Pret along the route.

Diggs wrote:

The North is a big place, which central London isn't. Remainers couldn't organise 1 million people in Sunderland either. Most remainers can't even find anywhere outside the M25 with the possible exception of Brighton or as they call it "France".

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
5 million signatures on that petition now.

How many are legit though? Russian hack bots.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 346, 347, 348 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 347 of 523