Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Right. Let me know when you're at your start point in London Wink

Last one to Scotch Corner buys breakfast...

chickenstrip wrote:
you have to walk to Carlisle to meet me.

The challenge was already set Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
5 million signatures on that petition now.

Wake me up when it reaches infinity Sleeping

Or gains meaning in law.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This coming week is when I predict trouble. I do believe the UK will be hit by disruption in the form of detonated devices.
If nothing happens I'll be mighty surprised.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
5 million signatures on that petition now.

"Leave" still winning then!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Remainers don't know where Newcastle is. Many would starve from lack of Pret along the route.

The North is a big place, which central London isn't. Remainers couldn't organise 1 million people in Sunderland either. Most remainers can't even find anywhere outside the M25 with the possible exception of Brighton or as they call it "France".

Doesn't alter the facts though. For all its publicity only a handful of people turned up for Farage's march. It doesn't mean that Remain could necessarily get more, but it wasn't Remain's demonstration.

Re. how well travelled the average Remainer and Brexiteer is, we will never know for sure, but commonly held stereotypes encouraged by both sides suggest that Remainers are middle class and Brexiteers are working class. I may be wrong, but I'd bet that the average middle class Brit has travelled more than the average working class Brit, due to having more disposable income and reading things like the Times Travel Supplement on a Sunday morning. Obviously this is stereotyping and won't reflect many people's situation, but negative stereotyping seems to be a tool used by both sides in this debate.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
People lap it up (Blair)

Completely agree and I don't get it. Maybe it's all the lawyers in his blood. He just seems to be one spin god.

I remember when Diana died and he was out there. His speech kept having deliberate pauses like "She truly was [pauuuuuuuuuuse] the people's princess".
As if he was trying to convey how he was coming to terms with the emotion of it.

I reckon Alistair Campbell was timing them with a stopwatch for him.
Twisted Evil

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is Brexit news you people probably have missed, the same way ALL UK media and Bigot Broadcasting Corporation missed. But it's a fact.

And will make many leavers like Farage apoplectic next week when they find out.

EU is in charge of Brexit now. A50 is EU law and 29/03 leave date already has been changed by the last EC decision to 12/04. That is clever EU diplomacy move - to show gammons who is in charge:

Quote:
Article 50: The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
Which EC has done to 12 April.

Imagine gammons realising that.

Wait the gammons to find out 29 March date has been changed by EU, because its EU law is ruled by European Commission decisions, and they can do that again...any time they wish.

The moaning Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/2019/03/23/extending-article-50-separating-myth-and-legal-reality/

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
There is Brexit news you people probably have missed, the same way ALL UK media and Bigot Broadcasting Corporation missed.

Yeah, everyone missed that Rolling Eyes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47663031

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-leaders-grant-brexit-extension-with-strings-attached/

https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/brexit-summit-delay-gbr-intl/index.html

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Val wrote:
There is Brexit news you people probably have missed, the same way ALL UK media and Bigot Broadcasting Corporation missed.

Yeah, everyone missed that Rolling Eyes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47663031

Not broadcasted at all. And still wrong at BBC link you cited:

Quote:
Timeline

29 March: Current Brexit date in UK law

That is the whole point: it is NOT UK law Article 50 is EU law and the date has been changed to 12 April.

Means it changes all claptrap "29 March is the date we leave in law" - literally changed and not valid any more.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but Val: We need their permission to leave? Really? We could also just walk away - f*ck them.
Better still, they want to be twats and keep us in? We protest and have dumps in their meetings.
Keeping an unhappy neighbour in your house is asking for trouble..

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Not broadcasted at all. And still wrong at BBC link you cited:

Oh, wait...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRg2yMvkQk

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what revelation you're trying to make here.
Val wrote:
29 March date has been changed by EU, because its EU law is ruled by European Commission decisions, and they can do that again...any time they wish.

Quote:
in agreement with the Member State concerned

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Remainers don't know where Newcastle is. Many would starve from lack of Pret along the route.

I imagine some Remainers do, as it wasn't a 100% leave vote. Wink

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Doesn't alter the facts though. For all its publicity only a handful of people turned up for Farage's march. It doesn't mean that Remain could necessarily get more, but it wasn't Remain's demonstration.

Re. how well travelled the average Remainer and Brexiteer is, we will never know for sure, but commonly held stereotypes encouraged by both sides suggest that Remainers are middle class and Brexiteers are working class. I may be wrong, but I'd bet that the average middle class Brit has travelled more than the average working class Brit, due to having more disposable income and reading things like the Times Travel Supplement on a Sunday morning. Obviously this is stereotyping and won't reflect many people's situation, but negative stereotyping seems to be a tool used by both sides in this debate.

Voters fit into stereotypes very well. You'll find most MPs can walk down a street and determine with fairly good accuracy what each person will be voting for.

This isn't really about being "pro-EU" or wanting another vote, though I'm sure most of the marchers would favour one to a greater or lesser degree. It's just a day out to virtue signal. 1 million sounds a lot but its about the same number as will turn up to London Gay pride this year, even though very few of those pride attendees are actually LGBT.

1) Millennials and younger: It's usually a party/carnival atmosphere, maybe even a chance to hit on some fit girls. The same sorts go to climate change protests and get a lift in their Dad's car.

2) Middle Aged and older: Come to virtue signal their liberal credentials. The chattering classes think this is a place to "see and be seen". They will come well prepared with Waitrose picnic and a patronising attitude.

3) Activists: Small in number, fairly hard line, probably going to pride later this year (in the parade).

4) Retards: They're not sure why they are there, they just are Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Ah but Val: We need their permission to leave? Really? We could also just walk away - f*ck them.
Better still, they want to be twats and keep us in? We protest and have dumps in their meetings.
Keeping an unhappy neighbour in your house is asking for trouble..

Just revoking the 1972 Act is what we used to call "the nuclear option".

I agree that if we are kept in, we should make as much trouble in the EU parliament as legally possible. Anyone going to the EU should ensure that they get at least their money's worth.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Voters fit into stereotypes very well. You'll find most MPs can walk down a street and determine with fairly good accuracy what each person will be voting for.

By the same token you could apply stereotypes to demonstrating Brexiteers with equal comedy value:

1. Youths looking for trouble, on drugs.

2. Older blokes with thick necks and draped in flags of St George looking for trouble, on cheap lager.

3. Gobby women, either scrawny or grossly overweight with bad skin and teeth, hoping to get fingered by said blokes on the coach going home.

4. Activists with a concealed right-wing agenda using the Brexit debate to further their anti-immigration and anti-Islam cause, even though Brexit has nothing to do with Islam.

Of course, not all stereotypes are 100% accurate.... Laughing

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

By the same token you could apply stereotypes to demonstrating Brexiteers with equal comedy value:

1. Youths looking for trouble, on drugs.

2. Older blokes with thick necks and draped in flags of St George looking for trouble, on cheap lager.

3. Gobby women, either scrawny or grossly overweight with bad skin and teeth, hoping to get fingered by said blokes on the coach going home.

4. Activists with a concealed right-wing agenda using the Brexit debate to further their anti-immigration and anti-Islam cause, even though Brexit has nothing to do with Islam.

Of course, not all stereotypes are 100% accurate.... Laughing

They aren't stereotypes for comedy value. That's just the sort of people that go there. You want to treat them as some big "remainer" block but it doesn't work like that.

As for your examples they are just attempts at being rude and disrespectful about working class people you see as inferior to you, which tells us a lot about you. The main Brexiteer types are:

1) Traditionalist Tory. Older people, usually Tory voters or ex-Tory, mostly interested in "values" or religion.

2) Working classes. Usually from Northern ex-mining towns, bored of their town being used as a rubbish site by the local Labour MP who is almost impossible to get rid of.

3) Remainers. Get that there was a vote, bored of listening to their side flogging a dead horse, want May to just get on with it. Not usually on marches.

4) Football fans, probably drunk, small in number

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

They aren't stereotypes for comedy value. That's just the sort of people that go there. You want to treat them as some big "remainer" block but it doesn't work like that.

As for your examples they are just attempts at being rude and disrespectful about working class people you see as inferior to you, which tells us a lot about you. The main Brexiteer types are:

1) Traditionalist Tory. Older people, usually Tory voters or ex-Tory, mostly interested in "values" or religion.

2) Working classes. Usually from Northern ex-mining towns, bored of their town being used as a rubbish site by the local Labour MP who is almost impossible to get rid of.

3) Remainers. Get that there was a vote, bored of listening to their side flogging a dead horse, want May to just get on with it. Not usually on marches.

4) Football fans, probably drunk, small in number

5) Ex seamen, definitely drunk, even smaller in number Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

As for your examples they are just attempts at being rude and disrespectful about working class people you see as inferior to you, which tells us a lot about you.

It really doesn't and you miss my point. They are stereotypes that some people on the Remain side hold. Stereotypes by definition don't cover the whole spectrum. I didn't say I agree with them.

If anything your reaction shows that you hold a false stereotypical opinion of me as a Remainer, that in your view I must consider myself superior to the great unwashed.

One thing about Brexit that really annoys me is people inferring it is a 'class' issue like you have just done. Both sides are guilty of this, from snobby middle class types to wannabe working class heroes. If we are still talking innacurate stereotypes, all Remainers think that all Brexiteers are thick northern working class racists whilst all Brexiteers think all Remainers are university-educated, Guardian-reading middle-class 'snowflakes' from south of Watford Gap. Neither is correct or accurate however both are used to antagonise.

Last edited by Diggs on 02:35 - 25 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:34 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Ok lardy-boy, you walk too and I'll meet you half-way. Pistols at dawn Very Happy

Next Saturday, London Bridge Station. Noon OK for you?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you were up to your eyeballs in customs work and don't have time for a shit for the foreseeable future let alone swan off next Saturday to sit in traffic hell trying to get from Dover to London and back? Thinking

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:34 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Ok lardy-boy, you walk too and I'll meet you half-way. Pistols at dawn Very Happy

Next Saturday, London Bridge Station. Noon OK for you?

Mdma if I said I'll see you there, would you seriously turn up wanting a fight with somebody you've never met because you disagree about politics on the internet?

If I did go, I'd rather have a pint with you and laugh about it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 348 of 523