Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap used runaround

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Cheap used runaround Reply with quote

I'm considering getting a bicycle for nothing more exciting than a cheap short distance runaround for nipping to the local shops etc. How much should I pay for a used unknown-brand mountain bike? Nothing special in okay condition, or am I better off going for a new Halfrauds cheapo. Last time I bought a new bicycle was in 1979 so I'm a bit out of touch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall are you?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to pick up a mountain bike shaped object from wilco motorsave or halfords for about £70-99ish

You will be able to a get a cheep runabout off from scumtree or your local facebook bikes forsale group for £30-50 if your not looking for anything special

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
How tall are you?
5'9" and 30" inside leg.
I wasn't particularly after a mountain bike, just happens a neighbour has one lying fallow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same size/leg measurement as myself. You'll want a 49cm frame. Avoid the cheap bikes from Halfords etc., they're appalling. Picture the rear wheel collapsing when you go down curb.

Second-hand's the way to go if you want anything decent. I got my last bike (a Barracuda) new for a little over £100 (RRP was £180) as it had a scratch on the frame. It's been alright, but anything for ~£100 will be awful.

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:34 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on Gumtree usually lots of used bikes on there

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloggsy wrote:
Have a look on Gumtree usually lots of stolen bikes on there

FTFY Thumbs Up

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Same size/leg measurement as myself. You'll want a 49cm frame. Avoid the cheap bikes from Halfords etc., they're appalling. Picture the rear wheel collapsing when you go down curb.

Second-hand's the way to go if you want anything decent. I got my last bike (a Barracuda) new for a little over £100 (RRP was £180) as it had a scratch on the frame. It's been alright, but anything for ~£100 will be awful.

You do know Barracuda and Apollo bikes are pretty much the same thing, made in the same factories by the same people, right?

I disagree with S/H being a better bet at this price point. If you have a buggered rear wheel bearing, it'll cost you £25 to replace it. Add a new chain, set of cables, bottom bracket and you're paying well over the retail price of a new bike shaped object. Granted, if you do buy second hand, you'll have a better bike at the end of it, as it'll have many new parts, which will be upgraded over the cheap guff they sling on in India or Malaysia where they're 'put together'.

But you'd also miss out on the 'sport': Making a spotty saturday oik very uncomfortable when you take the bike back to the shop with the front wheel pointing the wrong direction and the pedals on the wrong sides, demanding a refund with your freshly gravel-annointed forearms.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
M.C wrote:

You do know Barracuda and Apollo bikes are pretty much the same thing, made in the same factories by the same people, right?

I disagree with S/H being a better bet at this price point. If you have a buggered rear wheel bearing, it'll cost you £25 to replace it. Add a new chain, set of cables, bottom bracket and you're paying well over the retail price of a new bike shaped object. Granted, if you do buy second hand, you'll have a better bike at the end of it, as it'll have many new parts, which will be upgraded over the cheap guff they sling on in India or Malaysia where they're 'put together'.

But you'd also miss out on the 'sport': Making a spotty saturday oik very uncomfortable when you take the bike back to the shop with the front wheel pointing the wrong direction and the pedals on the wrong sides, demanding a refund with your freshly gravel-annointed forearms.

Apollo do ~£100 bikes with truly naff components, maybe the more expensive ones are equivalent to a Barracuda. There are loads of barely used bicycles on the second hand market.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:54 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can stretch to £125-£200 you should have some very respectable options second hand if you don't mind keeping an eye out.

Over the last few years I've had:
Giant Globe town bike/hybrid (£125, ridden twice before I owned it, RRP £300).

4 year old Giant Defy 2 road bike £170. Well maintained, though definitely used. Not had to change anything on it so far and had it for a year with regular use. Original RRP £1k.

Charge Grater hybrid - £170 delivered (he was local). 7 months old, decent nick. RRP £600 or something.

If you're not planning on going off-road, I'd go for a road or hybrid bike.

I did the mountain bike thing on the road. Then the hybrid - and realised that actually, oddly enough, a proper road bike most suited me for riding on the road Smile.

Also a few years ago got a budget Halfords 'mountain bike' for use at Glastonbury. Couldn't find a cheap secondhand one and wanted something that wouldn't be the end of the world if it was stolen. Had various issues first festival, despite the terrain being incredibly mild.

Last edited by G on 22:54 - 13 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are Giant bikes like now? I had one years ago and it was solid, then I was loaned one recently and it was horrid (really cheap quality/components).

That's the thing, £200 might get you an ok-ish new bike, but second hand you can get some really good stuff. I got a nearly new Boardman MX for £170 off eBay, until the seller pretended it was stolen and relisted it Rolling Eyes, but I've seen a number go for ~£200. A pal got a Ribble for £200 (again nearly new).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:53 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What new Giant was it?

Both of the two I had I've been very pleased with - both around 2012.
(The Defy 2 definitely is - the Globe was stolen some time ago, because West Yorkshire.)
However the Defy is a fairly high spec as you'd expect for a £1k rrp. (Edited my post to note the Defy is a road bike not hybrid.)

Instead of putting prices up, these days they seem to be regressing components.

So bikes at a price point that'd previously come with a 9 speed rear cassette are now on 8 speed a couple of levels down.
(Though to counter that, to some degree the designs of components are moving down levels as the top ones advance.)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
What new Giant was it?

Pass. They had a fleet of them so I imagine they were cheap.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For getting to the shops and short journeys, I'd look at a singlespeed/fixie type bike.
Next to no maintenance and nothing much to worry about if you leave it sitting about for 6 months.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:29 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with the single speed/fixie is the cost in replacing your wardrobe with tight jeans and so on Razz.
M.C wrote:

Pass. They had a fleet of them so I imagine they were cheap.

These days more so, as with computers etc - most brands make cheap bikes and good bikes.
You do get what you pay for when new unfortunately and these days you do have to pay a good chunk to get decent components.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:30 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing much to worry about if you leave any push bike sitting for 6 months. Wink

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
There's nothing much to worry about if you leave any push bike sitting for 6 months. Wink

Seized gear/brake cables are a problem. The point is, single speeds are very simple and have fewer parts to maintain and as such are very reliable for the casual user.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kept my bike (indoors) for a year unused and not had any issues. That's one really good thing about bicycles, no flat batteries Very Happy

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:03 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't spend more than around £50. Much more than that and you might as well buy something new. Decathlon is worth a look if you're after cheap but decent without messing about second hand. My £200 Rockrider 5.2 from there has lasted years and thousands of miles with next to no maintenance.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain bike for the shops? Do you live in South Africa?

I'd spend ~100 on something off gumtree. Consider the petrol/bus fare savings, don't go daft in case it's nicked.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What are Giant bikes like now?

The ones I've been looking at recently seem highly rated admittedly i've been looking at their top end carbon road bikes

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:05 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Same size/leg measurement as myself. You'll want a 49cm frame. .

Depends on whether it has a sloping top tube - I'm similar dimensions and my road bike is a 54cm frame, my CX is a 51cm and my winter bike is a 52cm Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1