BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Woodworking...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyman needs a hobby. If this is a success; why not go into making bespoke guitars?

Imagine seeing Liam Gallagher on stage holding one of your creations. Why not?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Everyman needs a hobby. If this is a success; why not go into making bespoke guitars?

Imagine seeing Liam Gallagher on stage holding one of your creations. Why not?

Why not, well it's very time consuming and I'm just learning, I'd have to make a few more to see if I am any good at making them. But yes it would be satisfying to see someone putting it through it's paces!

Anyway there has been some progress on the guitar.
In the end I decided to go with an oil finish.
As it stands I've put 7 or 8 coats of penetrating oil on the maple top, this has left it with a satin/gloss finish. The next stage will be to apply the high build, gloss, finishing oil, hopefully this will give a more glossy finish.
You apply the oil with tissue paper and rub the oil into the wood, you then let it dry for a bit, then just as it starts to go tacky you polish it and remove any excess with clean tissue paper. It's a similar process to french polishing.
The only drawback with this type of finish is it becomes increasingly time consuming. The first couple of coats go on and "dry" very quickly, the following coats take longer and longer to "dry" until you end up applying just one coat per day.
For those that want to know I've been using Crimson Guitars penetrating oil and high build gloss oil.

As this is my first build, I decided not to use plastic binding and instead I went down the faux binding route. This is not without it's own pitfalls as I fully expected the penetrating oil to seep under the masking on the edge of the top and stain it, fortunately the masking was successful and I ended up with a nice crisp line. What I now know is I should have sealed the edge of the maple top with sanding sealer first, which would have made cleaning any unwanted oil off very easy, you live and learn!

Unfortunately I can't post pictures at the moment as I'm 2.5k miles away, I'll post some pics when we get back to the UK, in 10 days time.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

But yes it would be satisfying to see someone putting it through it's paces!

But perhaps just not Liam Gallagher Laughing

Now, if Rory Gallagher were still around, then we'd be talking!

But since he isn't, my suggestion would be to loan it to Joe Bonamassa.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps for a first attempt it should be Frank Gallagher?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Perhaps for a first attempt it should be Frank Gallagher?

Who the feck is he?

No, wait, it's Diggs. Don't answer that Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
The man...

Nope, still none the wiser. What has he got to do with guitars then?

No, wait, it's Diggs, don't answer that Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt. That's why he would be the perfect Gallagher to receive the first guitar...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I get a sneaking suspicion I'm not gaining anything by remaining in this 'conversation'? Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every second you remain in this conversation is a second closer to death...

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
............my suggestion would be to loan it to Joe Bonamassa.

Sounds like a plan! Thumbs Up

If we were to have a "the one with the most guitars wins" contest, he's a shoe in for the win, isn't he!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest Joe because a) he plays a Les Paul a lot, b) he ain't just a boring shredder, but can do that when he wants and c) he'll definitely find any limitations it might have. Not to mention he'll play it with feeling. And if he likes it, well, he's at the top of his game, so you couldn't really find a better promotion amongst guitarist's guitarists. He's about the music, not the image. And he can cover many styles.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Every second you remain in this conversation is a foretaste of death...

FTFY.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised:-

https://i.imgur.com/fsCP2Y6.jpg?1

Not a good photo, i'll take some better ones when it's finished.
Anyway, the faux binding came out OK, no bleed through from the purple or the black stain.
The neck is glued in place.
I have not started to apply the final, high build, oil finish yet, it's had maybe 10 applications of penetrating oil and at the moment it has a satin sheen, I'm hoping for more shine by the time I'm finished.

What's left to do?
The neck needs to be oiled to a finish, the fret board also needs oiling although that's just a light application of boiled linseed oil.
The pick up and control cavities have been shielded with graphite paint.
Once the finish is on and cured I can start to measure up for the bridge and tail piece posts, have to be super accurate with this as a mistake in placement would be disastrous.
Then it will be fitting the electronics and hardware and finally a set up!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, look forward to clearer photos.

Any particular reason you went for a glued neck?
I take it it doesn't have a truss rod to adjust neck tension then?
I have no idea if that actually matters Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a truss rod, you can see the access hole at the top near the nut Smile

Bolted down is cheap and cheerful, glued neck is Stage 2, thru' neck is top end.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Bolted down is cheap and cheerful, glued neck is Stage 2, thru' neck is top end.

Nope, there are some very high end instruments with bolted on necks and some low end instruments with glued necks and through necks.

Each method of construction has its pros and cons.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Nope, there are some very high end instruments with bolted on necks and some low end instruments with glued necks and through necks.

Each method of construction has its pros and cons.

From a constructional skill point of view (and to a certain extent, price) that's the order they run in. The overall instrument could be of any value or quality point, granted.

For example, carving out a pocket for bolted on neck doesn't have to be as accurate as glued; you can make slight adjustments to alignment when you drill the bolt holes. It's easy to take wood away, not so easy to put it back Wink And finding a nice bit of wood for a through neck versus a standard neck...

But really it just comes down to what it looks like unless you want to get into...

Tonewood and electic guitars Twisted Evil

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

From a constructional skill point of view (and to a certain extent, price) that's the order they run in. The overall instrument could be of any value or quality point, granted.

For example, carving out a pocket for bolted on neck doesn't have to be as accurate as glued; you can make slight adjustments to alignment when you drill the bolt holes. It's easy to take wood away, not so easy to put it back Wink And finding a nice bit of wood for a through neck versus a standard neck...

But really it just comes down to what it looks like unless you want to get into...

Tonewood and electic guitars Twisted Evil

You're making some huge and basically incorrect assumptions there.

Neck fit is critical for both types. You can add wood by precisely cutting veneer and gluing it into the part of the socket that needs it. The same method is used to change the neck height - it's called shimming. Of course, shimming a neck for height doesn't involve glue.

Set necks and bolt on necks are chosen for their tonal effect on the instrument.

Finding a long piece of wood for a through neck? Trivial really. Any decent supplier can do that. Again, a through neck is a compromise and is usually chosen for the ease of making a body hollow or to make unusual styling choices for the wings.

There's a lot of nonsense spoken about tonewoods too. The quality of the neck construction, fretting, nut and bridge are far more important than the choice of wood.

Have a read of this and have a dig around - you'll find a lot of articles saying much the same and it's echoed by luthiers.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/technique/unraveling-the-set-neck-vs-bolt-on-myth

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I went for the set neck because I fancied having a go at it.
You pays your money and makes your choice, set neck, bolt on, it's highly unlikely anyone could tell the difference in a blind test.

As Islander mentioned, I did have to add a veneer, inside the neck pocket, to get a good fit.
The step I forgot, when I was routing out the neck pocket, was to to add masking tape to the edge of the template I was using, doing this would have guaranteed that the pocket was slightly smaller and I could have removed material to get the correct fit and alignment.

Yes, as has been pointed out, it does have a, dual action, truss rod.

Regarding material for through necks, most of the custom builds I've seen have laminated necks, the layering adds stability especially if you split pieces and mirror them, so finding a single piece of wood is not that important.

As for "tone wood", meh, tone wood's for guitar nerds.
There are plenty of vids on Youtube that demonstrate 99% of "tone" is purely down to the electronics and the amp.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blues guitarists slapping a fender neck on an old oil can says all you need to know about "Tonewood" Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1grjzBHgmY

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the other thing to consider is modularity: separate neck and body is easier to work on, and easier to repair Smile

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Ok, I went for the set neck because I fancied having a go at it.
You pays your money and makes your choice, set neck, bolt on, it's highly unlikely anyone could tell the difference in a blind test.

As Islander mentioned, I did have to add a veneer, inside the neck pocket, to get a good fit.
The step I forgot, when I was routing out the neck pocket, was to to add masking tape to the edge of the template I was using, doing this would have guaranteed that the pocket was slightly smaller and I could have removed material to get the correct fit and alignment.

Yes, as has been pointed out, it does have a, dual action, truss rod.

Regarding material for through necks, most of the custom builds I've seen have laminated necks, the layering adds stability especially if you split pieces and mirror them, so finding a single piece of wood is not that important.

As for "tone wood", meh, tone wood's for guitar nerds.
There are plenty of vids on Youtube that demonstrate 99% of "tone" is purely down to the electronics and the amp.

This time served craftsman is impressed. Thumbs Up
I didn't realise BCF had so many wood butchers lurking in the shadows.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting take on the old cigar box guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CagZY3R42V8

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For real woodwork fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a19OpQfwB2w

Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6