Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Woodworking...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall be building a summerhouse style kennel for the dog this spring, it will have to be quite big. She will be a big
lump of a dog by then. I think it will be a fun little project.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I know I'm re-posting stuff, that I've already posted elsewhere, but not many of you come to my corner and this is too cool not to post it here.

https://cdn.fishki.net/upload/post/2017/02/11/2216139/bcb5b09525830740f130a066b5e879aa.gif

I haven't gotten around to anything quite that elaborate but have had the misfortune in the past to have cut blind dovetail mitre joints by hand, hugely satisfying when they are tight...

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last project before all my time was stolen was a sentry shed. Made it using mostly handtools, only power tools were a drill for drill stuff and a jigsaw on the curved shelves. Was good fun.

Build gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/mevgo

https://i.imgur.com/OdYKb3v.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
My last project before all my time was stolen was a sentry shed. Made it using mostly handtools, only power tools were a drill for drill stuff and a jigsaw on the curved shelves. Was good fun.

Is it a cuckoo sentry shed?

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
DrDonnyBrago wrote:

Is it a cuckoo sentry shed?

Kinda.

Big spiders, rather than a little bird.

(the door leads to a non locked compartment for the wife to stash clothes pegs in)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:34 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I know I'm re-posting stuff, that I've already posted elsewhere, but not many of you come to my corner and this is too cool not to post it here.

Post in the last post wins thread rather than your lonely thread that nobody looks at. Razz

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the op gets the book Designing and Building Cabinets by Taunton publishing its available on amazon. Its a great book with clear instructions on making all manner of cabinets.

Also hit the carboot sales to get decent tools at a good price.

Check out Paul sellers on youtube. Good straightforward well produced instructions on all the basics.

Bolloks to power tools as well. By the time you've set a router up you could have made your cut with some nifty chisel work.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:05 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Bolloks to power tools as well. By the time you've set a router up you could have made your cut with some nifty chisel work.

I'd like to see you rebate or bullnose 50 feet of hardwood with a chisel/radius plane quicker than I could router it! Folded arms

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

I'd like to see you rebate or bullnose 50 feet of hardwood with a chisel/radius plane quicker than I could router it! Folded arms

Not to mention the repeatable accuracy of using a guide bush and a template, or setting the router in a board, hanging it upside down in a workmate and using it as a very simple router table.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point being the attraction of power tools is they seem to be quick and easy to use but they're not necessarily quick or easy when you factor in setting up time. Fair enough if you're doing a large batch job it might be more efficient but for a one off bit if cabinet making hand tools can be quicker. It feels good as well to learn to hand cut a rabbet or chip out some proper joints rather than use a gadget like the Kreg pocket hole jig.

Clamps as well. You can never have enough.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice demo of hand cutting rabets and dados. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISy4o473ZY

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is building some storage and has stated the skill level as "a bit shit at this sort of thing". Hence the suggestion of a kregg jig.
I figured success with something relatively simple would give the op more confidence and interest in the next project, at which point he might want to get more fancy.

I do actually agree that hand tools can be very satisfying - I have lie Neilson planes that are a joy to use, but I wouldn't suggest the OP go that route. Yet.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:17 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

I do actually agree that hand tools can be very satisfying - I have lie Neilson planes that are a joy to use, but I wouldn't suggest the OP go that route. Yet.

Very nice!
I've just discovered the joys of using a cordless Makita reciprocating saw Laughing
My mitre saw doesn't see much wood nowadays, it's got a 10" 60T blade in it that spends most of it's time cutting aluminium framing!!! Shocked

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Yeah I know you don't know everyone in your country, or every company but I'm still going to ask...

What's the reputation of PINIE Lubná ( https://pinie.cz ) like in terms of perceived quality? They survived but then got bought out, so is it a good brand, was it ever, and did quality drop in 2000 when someone else took over?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ScaredyCat"]
RhynoCZ wrote:

What's the reputation of PINIE Lubná ( https://pinie.cz ) like in terms of perceived quality? They survived but then got bought out, so is it a good brand, was it ever, and did quality drop in 2000 when someone else took over?

Before laying out cash you van make a lot of woodworking tools yourself check out stuff like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7lYFfvmBCc and hit the carboot sales loads of people sell off grandads proper quality old tools without a clue how valuable they are. I reckon £50 at a good carboot sale would get you everything you need.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Yeah I know you don't know everyone in your country, or every company but I'm still going to ask...

I have never heard of this company. Thinking

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Sad - original company was from the early 1900's ...

In other news, started my first glue-up....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/188253/_bcf/mowa/woody/gluey.png

I know I've cocked it up.. (lots of sanding will be required) but it is my very first go.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
What is it?

It will be an end grain cutting board (well more than 1 since it's over 1m long atm). The wood is Sepele. Ignore the white pine framework, that's just the panel clamp I made.

Strips glued together, sanded, then cut into strips, and rotated 90 degrees, glued back together again sanded and finished.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
Sad - original company was from the early 1900's ...

No need to be sad, the land of Czech people was once a home to various companies and inventors of world significance. But then the WW1 came, we got out of it quite alright, 1918 our own country etc., still going strong. A lot of stuff invented, built, established.... and then the WW2, after which came the ''I still can not believe this happened*'' year 1948, Communist party won the elections, and it was all downhill since then, with the slope getting even steeper after 1968. Fast forward, 1989, free again, not quite ready for the capitalism. You see, after 1948, the gov. stole real estate, factories, companies and so on, made them ''property of people'' and told all the owners of those things to feck off. Pretty much: ''Hey, we took your land in 1948, we're sorry, here is your estate back, oh and we didn't care much about maitenence, so sorry for the house being uninhabitable''. They also established the establish directorial economy with 5 year plans = the next 5 years you are going to do this and mine this much coal etc. No innovation, only stagnation.

Also, and that is interesting, the Communist party did not care about much. When Otto Wichterle invented contact eye lenses, they told him, m-kay and sold his pattent for peanuts, now multi billion pound industry.
Someone also invented a new semi-auto firing mechanism (never heard of in the world), the Communist party once again didn't care much, so the rest of the world just did coppies of this design and earned billions of pounds once again.
And this went on from 1948 till 1989.
(to give you something you know, look at the guy who invented Tetris)

And what happened to all the big companies you ask? Well, after 1989 gov. decided to sell them and give the money to the Czech citizens in form of a stock. But, and that is funny, a few clever people decided to feck up with the system, got rich and gov. sold companies worth billions of pounds for a negligeable amount of money, even to people with Mafia connections.

Let's put asside companies such as Skoda auto and Jawa, which were so behind in the industry, that they didn't even play on the same field as other manufacturers (effectively going bankrupt after the fall of the USSR), I'm talking about chemistry, aircraft ... industries.

*Some say we were suppose to be let free after the WW2, but 'mericans cut a deal with the USSR in exchange with some other poor country 'mericans could terrorize instead.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

It will be an end grain cutting board (well more than 1 since it's over 1m long atm). The wood is Sepele. Ignore the white pine framework, that's just the panel clamp I made.

Strips glued together, sanded, then cut into strips, and rotated 90 degrees, glued back together again sanded and finished.

I know I poopooed using power tools but that's going to be a lot of sanding and a pain to get optically flat. There's a sneaky router jig you can set up for levelling a board like your making. Check this out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SDvKHcL5M

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:30 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
What is it?

There are better woods for cutting boards, Sepele has a tendency to rot when it gets wet. The lighter in colour it is to start with the quicker it will rot, light pink is the shittiest, tends to go white and resemble balsa wood fairly quickly. End grain is the weakest point in this wood and tends to suck up moisture. Oil it after every use and try to avoid using water on it.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrrm,

I may have to rethink this then. In reality I'm just testing my ability to glue up panels with success. An end grain cutting board seemed to be a good place to start. Given the wood cost me £30 and I can make another one of these 1m panels (in theory 4 cutting boards total) from it I thought it was worth a go. My wood choice seems erroneous.

I liked the mix of lighter (pinky) and darker hence the stripe effect in the panel. Ah well. Perhaps I can repurpose the panels into something else... I've no idea what though Laughing

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

I know I poopooed using power tools but that's going to be a lot of sanding and a pain to get optically flat. There's a sneaky router jig you can set up for levelling a board like your making. Check this out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SDvKHcL5M

It's not half as bad as his piece, the clamp is meant to eliminate lots of the issues. I was just going to try a cabinet scraper...

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As panels in another project they would look great. Or as tops for small tables. I didn't want to say they wouldent be best for cutting boards but ad its now been pointed out I also think you'd be better using the panels for something else. How about a simple cabinet with your boards as the door/doors and top? Use cheap wood for the cabinet frame and panels and paint it a neutral colour to contrast with and highlight the sapele? Making the framework with panels for the cabinet would give you good practice sizing the wood, chipping out mortise and tenons and cutting rabbets.

Things to look up, Shooting board, mortise and tenons, rabbets, dovetailing Very Happy enjoy your homework Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6