Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Woodworking...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Built this from pallets using a drill, a jigsaw and a handsaw.

https://i.imgur.com/NIaJK9dl.jpg

This is cool!

How many pallets did it take? Did you take any photos during construction?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
CaNsA wrote:
Built this from pallets using a drill, a jigsaw and a handsaw.

https://i.imgur.com/NIaJK9dl.jpg

This is cool!

How many pallets did it take? Did you take any photos during construction?

https://imgur.com/a/s6Ldu

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I've also looked at building a cyclone system ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ni1Pf-wwo0 ) to reduce dust. It seems like a very simple and effective way and I can use Henry without clogging him up can be done cheap too ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8jXS8Fjh8 )

+1 for cyclone. I've bought a Chinese one from ebay for £20 or so, connected up to a Karcher vac and it's pretty amazing.
I also have a much bigger one with 5" inlet and outlet for a big extractor, but I haven't built that one up yet.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon, my precious... very sooooon....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wyqp47k4v9tt61/bench-leg.png?raw=1

Workbench build begins..

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Workbench build begins..

Looks interesting. Got a plan you're working from?

My next mini project is to build a decent fence for my table saw. (will likely go with a design similar to that of John Heisz). My table saw is a POS, but at least allows me to use it to make improvements for it.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:

Only in my head. The 4 legs are done, just tidying them up. I can take off up to 3 inches to find my optimal working height. Might also add castors but I don't intend to move it much so perhaps later.

The top will be the next part and I'm still undecided as to a solid wood or torsion box.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
fatjames wrote:

Only in my head.

I use the same method.
Think about what I want it to look like, then make it up as i go along.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the weekend working on it... Must have lost 3Kg in sweat alone..

Glue up was difficult, things started to get heavy pretty quickly..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1cc5dakzigwl81/benchyg1.png?raw=1

Just a bit of flattening, trimming and finishing to do, but it's essentially done and rock solid. I haven't glued the legs into the frame either, the weight of the top is holding it together. Legs are flush, just lifted the base for planing.

I did get a bit worried that I'd made it too tall but it worked out perfectly. I see a vise and dogholes in my future.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60mgbx2n3a0035x/benchy1.png?raw=1

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I see a vise and dogholes in my future.
[/img]

You're definitely going to want a vice!

I saw a video by woodwork web on youtube. He had a woodworking vice on the bench. Then an engineers vice mounted on a verticle batten so he could clamp it into the wooden jaws for metal work. I quite like that idea. (it might have been the other way around)

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my house we have a Mezzanine level in one of the rooms. The rooms is little and there isn't much space for stairs. It was dominated but an ugly Staircase/Ladder thing that was big and not very nice to use. (only photo I have sorry!)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12189589_10153676889578476_9050145658901099942_n.jpg?oh=c248e3d0be012dd1e7f7b3096c4b3a56&oe=5A727D23

Thinking about how to make it better I thought it would be cool to have it doubled up as book case to make the most of the space.

I had no idea how to go about this, I enquired with a couple of joiners but none got back to me. My Dad suggested a good friend of his. This friend was one of those people who was VERY practical and could do anything he set his mind to. Just this year he'd made (smoking)Pipes, Jigsaws, Kitchens from scratch, bathrooms, laid gas pipes and rebuilt the top end of a BMW 6 cylinder engine. Couple of years back he rebuilt an old Tiger 500 from the ground up. All the while he had a lot of physical problems, bad back and hips etc. I didn't want to ask him partially because I knew he would happily do and I was worried about impact it would have on his health.

Anyway dad mentioned it to him and he seemed keen to do it. He came round and measured up. A couple of days later he came back with drawn up plans, cutting lists the works.

I took the week off work and together we built this (I say together I was little more than a labourer it was all him!)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16938987_10154995534038476_4442118953835987722_n.jpg?oh=9c0f71b2dc7e504835cf6604fc3a0c97&oe=5A714B4B

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16830928_10154995534043476_911580024237189343_n.jpg?oh=564f6c2d0a0937688579e3cea3d06f1c&oe=5A7CEA94

This was all done with only 3 Power tools, a router, a circular saw and a biscuit joiner. It cost less than £300 in materials.

The result is fantastic, afterwards I thought one day I'd ask him to to do something with the unit by the hall."

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22424514_10155698323848476_3977874279335699694_o.jpg?oh=4daa19aee0fad43ddf42783bfbf6cea3&oe=5A3CED7B

It always looked shit and just had a pile of shoes/bags by it.

I waited for months and never brought it up because he always had loads of stuff on. I didn't want him worrying about something else.

Sadly he died unexpectedly a couple of months ago. I was totally gutted. I had always gotten on well with him and we had become good friends while building the 'Stookcase'. He had even gave me the circular saw we had used to build the Stookcase as he had a new one.

At some point I decided I was fed up with the old cabinet and needed to replace it sooner rather than later. I thought I would have a go myself. In a stupid way I thought it would almost be a testament to his life and skills that I could design and build something that I could never had done without the skills/techniques I'd learnt 'apprenticing' for the week we worked on the Stookcase.

It was hard work (mainly because I'm not very good) and it's a bit rough around the edges but it is solid, square and functional.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22365579_10155698323338476_7556086793362305472_n.jpg?oh=f0af5d81a16abf424139843de8c9ac8b&oe=5A6AA515

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22339215_10155698323583476_4799349872670752539_o.jpg?oh=3856da48ff21707f581b1da4de1aba9c&oe=5A820CDE

I hope to try to build things from wood more often and to get better at it.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how many of you have experienced a Japanese pull saw but I've just trimmed off 3 1/2 inches from my workbench with a Hassunme cross cut saw. Trust me the cut is smoother than the planed surface.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4o4c10b1n4xbbao/Hassunme-cut.png?raw=1

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

It was hard work (mainly because I'm not very good) and it's a bit rough around the edges but it is solid, square and functional.

Where are you getting your melamine from and are you doing edgebanding?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Good work and all that, but have to say, cool doormat is cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 104 days between these two posts...

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well wood workers, recently I've been amassing some tools, including a bandsaw, a thicknesser, a pillar drill, various chisels and gouges, a thumb plane and a few other bits and bobs.

We're currently restoring a house, so I've been doing odds and sods around the house, made a bookcase, fitted a porthole in a door, new skirting boards, door hanging, that sort of thing.
My table saw has come in handy.
However, if you've got a table saw, you're using for wood working, ditch the blade that came with it do yourself a favour and buy a proper blade. I bought one of these:-

Freud

The difference is astounding, quieter, cuts quicker, stays sharp and leaves a fantastic finish, as good as a plane, well worth the money, i'll be getting the same blade for my mitre saw when it blunts.

Anyway, one of the reasons for splurging out on tools is my next project, building a Les Paul type guitar from scratch.
Currently, I have two slabs of mahogany for the body, two book matched pieces of flamed maple for the top and a very nice, quartersawn, piece of mahogany for the neck. I've jointed the mahogany body pieces and the maple top, probably going to glue them up tomorrow.
If there's any interest in this, I'll document it all here.
Never built a guitar before, what could, possibly go wrong? Laughing

So has anyone else got any projects on the go?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been assembling a Paulk Workbench at a truly glacial pace. Once that's done I'm planning on making two oak beds for my son's.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got tired of my jury-rig bench so i built myself a proper work bench. I used cheap rough cut 100x80mm pine. Built a nice solid mortise and tennon jointed fram all hand cut which took forever but felt good to do. I made a laminated top from more of the 100x80 with a trench as well and fitted a proper bench vice in it. Having a proper stable bench makes all the difference i finally finished some cabinets i started two years ago! Im now working on some kitchen drawers. Ive decided cuoboards for lower kitchen cabinets is pointless and drawers are so much more practical.

Ive also just got s book full of Gustave Stickley style plans amd im going to have a go at some of things in it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
(circular saw blade) difference is astounding, quieter, cuts quicker, stays sharp and leaves a fantastic finish, as good as a plane

"Raises eyebrow".

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
So has anyone else got any projects on the go?

My current project is a motorbike & maintenance/general storage garden building, which is not woodwork, but will need lining out. I need to make up a decorative manthepiece, though, but I think I've got some slate somewhere which I could use instead of timber, or make a hybrid. There will be some rough shelving, probably 2x2 + ply for the new workshop/shed, though. I need to get the non-woodworking stuff out of my woodwork shop because it's stuffed up with bike bits, a rotavator, garden tools and all sorts of stuff and I can't even get into it easily. When I can I need to make a sash window.

Edit: What did you make your bookcase of?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freud stuff is awesome. Got one of their blades in my Skil saw (actual Skil, not generic). Good router bits too.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my "bookcase":-

https://i.imgur.com/4FhPKlP.jpg

It's made from 190 x 20mm, (7 1/2 x 3/4"), reclaimed, pine boards.
It's mostly just glued and screwed together, there are a couple of rabbet joints in there. It's finished with grey chalk paint.

I'm going to make another, the same design, but with one extra layer at the bottom. This will go in another room!

That saw blade comes, highly, recommended for table saws, after all a table saw is just a circular saw, mounted upside under a table!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Here's my "bookcase":-

8<

It's made from 190 x 20mm, (7 1/2 x 3/4"), reclaimed, pine boards.
It's mostly just glued and screwed together, there are a couple of rabbet joints in there. It's finished with grey chalk paint.

That's nice, in a modern (or vintage/'60s) way. It might be good to use stopped housings throughout. What did the legs come off/from?

Suntan Sid wrote:
That saw blade comes, highly, recommended for table saws, after all a table saw is just a circular saw, mounted upside under a table!

I've got an old circular saw, which came from the USA, which my grandfather used for part of his business. I think it begins with "D", but I'm not ging to struggle out into the workshop to look now! 1930s I think. It needs a new drive belt. I don't know whether metric blades could be adapted, 'though I've got some to play with when I can get in there. TCT ones seem rather thick.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
That's nice, in a modern (or vintage/'60s) way.

That's the look we were going for.

Riejufixing wrote:
What did the legs come off/from?

The legs are Ebay specials:-

10mm hairpin table legs

Riejufixing wrote:
I've got an old circular saw, which came from the USA, which my grandfather used for part of his business. I think it begins with "D", but I'm not ging to struggle out into the workshop to look now! 1930s I think. It needs a new drive belt. I don't know whether metric blades could be adapted, 'though I've got some to play with when I can get in there. TCT ones seem rather thick.

As long as the blade fits within the machine and the blade fits the arbor, I can't see a problem.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
(TCT circular saw blades) As long as the blade fits within the machine and the blade fits the arbor, I can't see a problem.

That's right. I should think Imperial sizes are available anyway, 'cos ofthe USAians. It's not often that I need a circular saw, unless it's one of those power hand tools for very rough work. Still, they are sometimes handy.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

See that door, with the porthole, it's an original 1950's door.

Prior to tarting that door up I'd removed another, and thought I'd have a go at deconstructing it.
Basically it was a hardwood ply sandwich, 6mm hardwood mind you. However what was unusual were the four internal vertical braces. What I was expecting were either block board strips or some chip board strips, what was actually there was strips of compacted straw wrapped in cardboard, glued to each piece of ply!
It was the same in the door with the porthole.

And you wonder why houses burn down!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Stickley book im going to work through.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Making_Authentic_Craftsman_Furniture.html?id=C4MfAwAAQBAJ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6