Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RiDE Tour of Spain...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bordtea
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:52 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: RiDE Tour of Spain... Reply with quote

Has anyone used this as a basis for a trip around Spain? Looking to go right at the end of April/Early August and I feel that a more general trip round spain may be the safer option weather wise than sticking to the pyrenees/picos. Usually I like to plot my routes myself, but with RiDE magazine having a 13 day tour already plotted, this certainly seems at the very least like a good basis to start from. Does anyone have any experience of it?

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/the-ride-guide-to-spain

I believe there is going to be 4 of us, aiming to get the ferry overnight and will probably find a B&B in Santander upon arrival then head out from there. Any particular recommendations?

One thing we would like to do this time is for at least a couple of days of the trip base ourselves in one location and use that as a base to get a days ride in so we can ditch the luggage for a bit. I'd imagine somewhere in the picos or the pyrenees would be a good place for this?

Any experience/advice with regards to dos and donts, roads etc in spain would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Dan

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:06 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used the "route planner" that you list and my experience of Spain on the bike is limited to the Pyrenees and Barcelona. We're hoping to spend 3 weeks in Spain/Portugal next year and apart from the Picos and Barcelona for the MotoGP I haven't got a real plan yet. I might have a look at the link you put up.

This year me and my wife stayed in Vielha for a few days and it was an excellent base for days out on the bike without all the gear. While I've never stayed there, Sort is right in the heart of the great roads and scenery and might be worth considering as a base for a few days. Jaca, further to the West has some access to some nice roads but I'd favour Vielha. Pamplona is worth a visit, the old town is full of life at the weekend. We've been to Andorra a couple of times and have never been particularly impressed. The roads and scenery are nice but Andorra La Vella just seems to exist to sell cheap booze, fags and perfume. Very little character and definitely not somewhere I'd rush back to.

Bordtea
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:00 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
I've never used the "route planner" that you list and my experience of Spain on the bike is limited to the Pyrenees and Barcelona. We're hoping to spend 3 weeks in Spain/Portugal next year and apart from the Picos and Barcelona for the MotoGP I haven't got a real plan yet. I might have a look at the link you put up.

This year me and my wife stayed in Vielha for a few days and it was an excellent base for days out on the bike without all the gear. While I've never stayed there, Sort is right in the heart of the great roads and scenery and might be worth considering as a base for a few days. Jaca, further to the West has some access to some nice roads but I'd favour Vielha. Pamplona is worth a visit, the old town is full of life at the weekend. We've been to Andorra a couple of times and have never been particularly impressed. The roads and scenery are nice but Andorra La Vella just seems to exist to sell cheap booze, fags and perfume. Very little character and definitely not somewhere I'd rush back to.

Yes I've heard this a few times about Andorra - probably not worth the trip!

Worth taking a look - it appears you can download the paper copy of the guide here https://magazinesdownload.org/the-ride-guide-to-spain-36mb/

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:11 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toured northern Spain in 2013 and loved it; great roads, food, beer, wine, scenery and old towns Cool

Here's a link to my ride report on UKGSer to whet your appetite Thumbs Up

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/347259-Northern-Spain-July-2013

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of us went at Easter, rode down through France to Barcelona via Pamplona. Thread is here https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=311640

Top tips - don't get caught speeding, it caused massive issues for one of us and finding a base for a few days is a great idea.

Bordtea
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:19 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
A group of us went at Easter, rode down through France to Barcelona via Pamplona. Thread is here https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=311640

Top tips - don't get caught speeding, it caused massive issues for one of us and finding a base for a few days is a great idea.

Cheers Matt - really enjoyed reading that! Sounds interesting to say the least...

Bordtea
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:19 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:
I toured northern Spain in 2013 and loved it; great roads, food, beer, wine, scenery and old towns Cool

Here's a link to my ride report on UKGSer to whet your appetite Thumbs Up

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/347259-Northern-Spain-July-2013

Looks bloody excellent! Any particular stand out roads?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1