Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

War on drugs in Philippines, 5,927 dead in five months

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:43 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: War on drugs in Philippines, 5,927 dead in five months Reply with quote

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs has sent the death toll to 5,927 in five months and has said the way to stop the slaughter is to stop taking drugs.

The radical leader insists he is not a killer, despite the country's streets being littered with dead bodies due to his crackdown on illicit drugs.

President Duterte said he is not about to pull the plug on his operation, but would happily allow citizens to enjoy Christmas and New Year in peace if people stopped taking drugs.

Shocked

2,086 were killed in police operations and 3,841 in extrajudicial or vigilante-style killings. More than 40,000 suspects have been arrested.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4028886/Duterte-s-street-butchers-Bodies-pile-crackdown-claims-5-900-lives-five-months-president-declares-want-stop-stop-taking-drugs.html

It's work safe and says "WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT" at the top of the page because there are dead bodies everywhere.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: War on drugs in Philippines, 5,927 dead in five months Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

President Duterte said he is not about to pull the plug on his operation, but would happily allow citizens to enjoy Christmas and New Year in peace if people stopped opposing him politically taking drugs.

I believe there is some significant suggestion that in his past and now various political opponents have been found to be these dirty druggies that got all they deserved!

Last edited by G on 19:10 - 13 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair it was his pre-election pledge... Confused

But yes, not great really is it. Would hate to be living through that right now.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Would hate to be living through that right now.

You'd be ok if you weren't taking/dealing/knew anyone involved in drugs, no?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:04 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

You'd be ok if you weren't taking/dealing/knew anyone involved in not bribing the correct people, holding the wrong political views, standing up to the police etc no?

Should be fine providing you don't get mistaken for someone that is, then!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of puts the whole brexit thing into perspective doesn't it #firstworldproblems

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the only way to go if you want to actually win the war on drugs though.
Drug users will always take drugs.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the man has balls the size of elephants.

He's doing what he said he would and is actually trying to stop it unlike our mealy mouthed politicians who talk the talk and hide from the walk.

I bet the drug lords have a huge bounty on his head.

He'd get my vote Thumbs Up

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/drug-decriminalisation-portugal-setting-record-straight

There's a different approach

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:34 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been at least a couple of things on the radio about this recently (Remember seperately listening to one while cycling and another in the van in the last few weeks.)
Here's some, but I think there was a program dedicated to it too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0461hwn

Polarbear wrote:

I bet the drug lords that haven't paid their bribes have a huge bounty on finding his stash to sell it to those that have paid.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:58 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My conclusion on reading the article is that motorbikes seem to be really dangerous.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:16 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I bet the drug lords have a huge bounty on his head.

Yup but I wouldn't have thought they're in much of a hurry as prices are going up and with the country currently have close to two million drug users, it's safe to say that prices are going to continue increasing.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, what would happen if the gov. actually legalized all the booger sugar, uppers, downers, kickers, and so on? Thinking

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Just an idea, what would happen if the gov. actually legalized all the booger sugar, uppers, downers, kickers, and so on? Thinking

You'd get the opening scene of Layer cake Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:04 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

What would happen? I think we'd see the same as every other country that's taken the approach of decriminalising has seen.

So that would be drug use goes down, less people will be harmed or die as a result of using drugs, etc etc etc.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

What would happen? I think we'd see the same as every other country that's taken the approach of decriminalising has seen.

So that would be drug use goes down, less people will be harmed or die as a result of using drugs, etc etc etc.

I do realize drugs are not alcohol, but look at the 'merican prohibition. Many people started a drinking habbit just as a protest against the gov. Alcohol was not taxed (no money into the piggy bank) and illegal manufacturing/brewing and distribution of alcohol was the fastest growing industry on this planet. It's also worth to mention the accompanying phenomena, especially the corruption at high places + the extra expenses of the gov. to ''fight'' the crime.

Then,US of A made drinking and distribution legal again, put tax on alcohol, many people stopped or didn't even start a drinking habit; and Mafia had to find another source of income or go legal, which many did (on paper at least).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:42 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
drugs are not alcohol

uwotm8? Laughing

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is genuinely crazy.

The Phillipines though has hardcore level of drug abuse these days though, for various reasons.

I doubt they are outside shooting teenagers for a joint, but rather shooting any drug dealers.

Would be a hell of a time to live through though.

Humanity is running backwards at an impressive speed.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:38 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
It's the only way to go if you want to actually win the war on drugs though.
Drug users will always take drugs.

Sure sounds like winning to me!

/s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:41 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Google Peru where they decriminalised possession of everything.

Results were very positive.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:23 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
drugs are not alcohol

uwotm8? Laughing

People of the Land of beer don't think alcohol is a drug, look at our president. But, I do believe there are countries, where having a bottle of liquor in the house is the same as having cocaine or any other narcotics. Now realizing, I should have used the word ''narcotics'' instead of drugs, in my post.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 11:40 - 14 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

The line from the drug legalisation side is that drug crime would disappear overnight. The implicit statement there is that drug dealers do so entirely to provide a supply to those who cannot obtain drugs any other way, and that if drugs were legal they would go off and get normal legitimate jobs! This however is not true, drug dealers will just move in to different crimes, other ways to get lots of money easily, like kidnapping or armed robbery.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:13 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the government legitimised all drugs then they would have to supply them or the drug dealers would just carry on without fear of prosecution.

They would just become a taxable cash cow like alcohol so why don't they do it?

If it is true that in all counties that have legitimised drugs the outcome is positive I struggle to understand the reluctance to even try. Couldn't they try with the soft drugs and if that is successful, turn to the hard drugs?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The line from the drug legalisation side is that drug crime would disappear overnight.

I don't think so. I think it is more that it would be better than the current system.

I don't care about drug dealers anyway, most are harmless. Only the bosses and "drug lords" that are properly dangerous.

I think the key benefit to legalising/decriminalising USE is that people can use various drugs for recreational or medical reasons without becoming a criminal. Drug use and being a criminal should be 2 different things. A crime should have to negatively affect someone else.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3