Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

War on drugs in Philippines, 5,927 dead in five months

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:38 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Couldn't they try with the soft drugs and if that is successful, turn to the hard drugs?

A bit like the US is/was doing now?

And of course their 'war' on drugs was one of the big reasons other countries haven't gone that way.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:59 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portugal went with sort-of decriminalisation. You can in principle be fined, but usually it's just a Drugs Are Bad lecture and a stiff fingering Tut Tut.

By some measures, it's been a success, with (axiomatically) a drop in drug crime, and a drop in the number of people reporting recent "drug" use.

I quote "drug" use, since the flip side is that the burden has been shifted from the criminal to the health system. They have government vans driving around the cities hosing down the zombies with methadone. Addicts gonna dict.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:20 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I should have used the word ''narcotics'' instead of drugs, in my post.

Alcohol is a narcotic. Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:48 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
My conclusion on reading the article is that motorbikes seem to be really dangerous.

El Presidente Rodrigo Duterte wrote:
When I was mayor of Davao, I would cruise the streets on a motorcycle and look for trouble.

Told you so.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
I should have used the word ''narcotics'' instead of drugs, in my post.

Alcohol is a narcotic. Wink

English, easy to learn, hard to master. Thinking

Narcotics: a drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for nonmedical purposes, especially an illegal one.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semantics.
Alcohol isn't classed as a narcotic though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:40 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There's a definition for what is a narcotic but there isn't a classification.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Quote:

There's a definition for what is a narcotic but there isn't a classification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Convention_on_Narcotic_Drugs

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:30 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's about four schedules of controlled substances, what's your point? Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yup, that's about four schedules of controlled substances, what's your point? Laughing

That it's got a full classification of all Narcotic Drugs that the worlds governing bodies all subscribe to. Let's not pick holes in something that watertight here.

The point being, it's semantics calling alcohol a narcotic, in the same way you could call coffee a narcotic.

What term Rhino should have used was 'Narcotic drug' not just drug or narcotic, but I think that you knew that all along and your pedantic nature took over and made you pull him on something that was merely semantics and not that his actual point wasn't valid.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:04 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could call coffee a narcotic however it would be more accurate to say that it's a stimulant. Wink

That full classification of all Narcotic Drugs is actually a full classification of all controlled narcotic drugs.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You could call coffee a narcotic however it would be more accurate to say that it's a stimulant. Wink

That full classification of all Narcotic Drugs is actually a full classification of all controlled narcotic drugs.

You make points, but they are all pretty weak.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:09 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with legitimizing drugs and having governments control and supply is that it will eventually be seen as a tax cash cow. I don't think I have paid a penny of tobacco tax for decades, I just support my local Mafia. Regulation by taxation is a hiding to nothing.
Now.... If some zealot was to start shooting at me.... That might change my mind, or I might just get myself a nice shooter too. It wouldn't be long before tit for tat began to rule, what a great civilisation that would be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
By some measures, it's been a success, with (axiomatically) a drop in drug crime, and a drop in the number of people reporting recent "drug" use.
In the grand scheme of things, it appears by most measures its been a success in relation to all crime.
TDPF wrote:
[Regarding 2001 decriminilsation in Portugal] decriminalisation does not appear to have caused an increase in crimes typically associated with drugs. While opportunistic thefts and robberies had gone up when measured in 2004, it has been suggested that this may have been because police were able to use the time saved by no longer arresting drug users to tackle (and record) other low-level crimes. Although difficult to test, this theory is perhaps supported by the fact that, during the same period, there was a reduction in recorded cases of other, more complex crimes typically committed by people who are dependent on drugs, such as thefts from homes and businesses.
I would say its common sense - why automatically criminalise a large proportion of the population who are able to use drugs recreationally without it impacting others, when police time can be spent on offenders who are impacting others for whatever reason.

If the government proposed tomorrow, that everyone who smokes a few spliffs a week needs NHS treatment because they're a "drug addict", I imagine there would be outrage about it being totally disproportionate/a waste of money etc. Thats essentially the justice system we have now - but people often don't bother to question whether its doing any good as its been the rhetoric and status quo for so long.

Rogerborg wrote:
I quote "drug" use, since the flip side is that the burden has been shifted from the criminal to the health system.
I wouldn't say its necessarily been shifted - it still costs, but at least the money and services are achieving something more often. If anything, incarcerating people for possession/use increases drug abuse and the subsequent "burden". The health system was still reasonably involved in treatment before decriminalisation in Portugal, as per the UK/US etc currently - but in Portugal it now has more budget and involvement (as less is being spunked on the futile justice carousel) and although it certainly doesn't always improve the situation, it has a lot better chance of doing so. Drug deaths have dropped, HIV rates have dropped, drug use longterm has dropped.

jjdugen wrote:
The trouble with legitimizing drugs and having governments control and supply is that it will eventually be seen as a tax cash cow. I don't think I have paid a penny of tobacco tax for decades, I just support my local Mafia.
Arguably it should be a tax "cash cow" to some extent, as is alcohol and tobacco. Whilst plenty of people can use alcohol/tobacco/"illicit" drugs without causing an immediate problem - it can often cost health and other services a fair chunk in the longterm. Currently, we have a system whereby a very large amount of potential money to fund treatment/other services to help people that do harmfully use drugs, is going into the hands of people that have a vested interest increasing their problem's - thats not good for anyone.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:09 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between countries like the Phillipines, and Portugal. I've seen bus drivers high on shabu-shabu, and it isn't a pretty sight. They start taking these drugs, which are cheap, to work longer so they can earn enough to support a family. Addiction soon follows, and it becomes working longer hours, or committing crimes in the neighbourhood, to support that family AND to buy drugs (which aren't so cheap if you are compelled by addiciton to buy them regularly). Who suffers? Other poor people, who become victims of crime, road accidents, bent cops, etc.

So the people of the Phillipines, who are among the nicest and most tolerant in SE Asia, basically had enough and voted for this dark angel President to rid them of this ultimate, living symbol of poverty, desperation and suffering. If you don't live there, it's only natural that it's hard to comprehend why the Filipinos have adopted this 'unenlightened' stance. But, who knows, it may work..

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:36 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
I've seen bus drivers high on shabu-shabu, and it isn't a pretty sight. They start taking these drugs, which are cheap, to work longer so they can earn enough to support a family. Addiction soon follows, and it becomes working longer hours, or committing crimes in the neighbourhood, to support that family AND to buy drugs (which aren't so cheap if you are compelled by addiciton to buy them regularly).

Sounds like an everyday tale in the Virgin Rail network.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
There is a difference between countries like the Phillipines, and Portugal.
Difference being - Portugal had at least a half decent drug rehabilitation system even before decriminalisation. The Phillipine's was absolutely atrocious, and is now, no suprise, even worse (debatable if it even qualifies as having those services anymore quite frankly). So yes, there was, is and will no doubt continue to be a huge drug abuse problem.
Tawny wrote:
it isn't a pretty sight. They start taking these drugs, which are cheap, to work longer so they can earn enough to support a family. Addiction soon follows, and it becomes working longer hours, or committing crimes in the neighbourhood, to support that family AND to buy drugs (which aren't so cheap if you are compelled by addiciton to buy them regularly). Who suffers? Other poor people, who become victims of crime, road accidents, bent cops, etc.
Thats not specific to the Phillipines, that can easily apply to lots drug addicts, in many countries, including ours.
Tawny wrote:
voted for this dark angel President to rid them of this ultimate, living symbol of poverty, desperation and suffering
He's not addressed poverty, desperation or suffering - he's simply made it open season to kill anyone already desperate and suffering on the premise that it was all about drugs. The reason such huge numbers of people were addicted to drugs in the first place was because for many the living/work/healthcare conditions are so dismal they turned to drugs for relief. But hey, if you're the government responsible for all that, great way to pass the buck I suppose Whistle.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:40 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
drug rehabilitation system

I imagine that having a gun pointed at your head and offered the choice of quitting, or of having your brains blown out, would provide a clarifying moment.

If you make the choice to continue with your behaviour under those circumstances, I can't think what possible method of voluntary rehab could succeed.

-Matt- wrote:
if you're the government responsible for all that, great way to pass the buck I suppose Whistle.

I think we tend to over-estimate the influence that government has over a nation.

Yes, if it's a true despotism running a real police state. Yes, long term it can destroy the self reliant character of a nation via a welfare state, helped by open borders. But day-to-day, people will do what people want to do. People, by and large, tend to deserve the quality of representatives that they have.

And if you blame a tiny group of people for the woes and behaviour of the teeming masses, and demand that they take action to alter it, you shouldn't be surprised if that action is radical, and not to your liking.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Humanity is running backwards at an impressive speed.

A pearl of wisdom Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:47 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I can't think what possible method of voluntary rehab could succeed.

Addiction in the human brain is a more complicated matter than that I believe.
I'm sure plenty have had it made clear that if they continue with the behaviour they are addicted to they will die from it; yet that hasn't been enough, it's required a more, ah, 'scientific' approach to change their behaviour.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:54 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'm sure plenty have had it made clear that if they continue with the behaviour they are addicted to they will die from it; yet that hasn't been enough, it's required a more, ah, 'scientific' approach to change their behaviour.

Dying at some unspecified point in the future by overdosing on what you like is one thing.

Being shot in the eye stone cold sober in the imminent future is another.

My point is that all treatment is predicted on the user choosing to get clean, and that staying clean (especially when intoxicants are readily available) also requires an ongoing commitment from them.

If they choose to keep using in the face of an extant threat to their life, then it's a waste of limited resources even trying to help them. I stress the limited factor - with infinite time, labour and facilities, anything works.

Think of it as a robust form of triage.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:06 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dying at a fairly near point in the future by your body near-literally falling apart, I was thinking vs dying at a fairly near point in the future with a quick clean death, but only if you happen to get caught.

If you ignore the person, I still suspect society as a whole can benefit from treatment programs that, for instance, look to help people find ways to want to not continue if they don't already have a large enough 'want'.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:37 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course treatment should be on offer. And I'm actually in favour of complete decriminalisation.

The specific issue is this though. Consider someone carrying out a prohibited activity, whether that's taking illegal drugs, or doing bad stuff after taking legal drugs, or in order to fund them.

If you cannot stop that behaviour by credibly threatening to shoot them in the head, then you might as well go ahead and pull the trigger.

It's a litmus test. Do they care enough to keep living? If they don't, then only bad things will follow, for them and everyone around them.

We're far too precious about the sanctity of life. It's not like the world is under-populated.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3