BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Engine heat rising rapidly FIXED

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:34 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Speed Four so the same basic setup. I had a faulty rad cap, so if you are stuck it is worth changing was only £15 IIRC.

Make sure the cooling system is bled, an air lock could cause these symptons.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:48 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bled the system to remove the thermostat, so will refill and make sure there's no air trapped.

I think changing rad cap is a good idea too, as it looks a bit old and shoddy.

MCN wrote:
But... how are you measuring the temperature?

Your problem may be the temp gauge on the bike (if it has one.) indicating a hot engine when it is not hot. Maybe the gauge is not reading correctly.

I am just relying on the dash to tell me the temp. But I believe what it's telling me, when the bike gets this hot it is very noticeable.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
If the radiator cap is defective, it will cause the system to over pressurize. Won't let coolant flow to the expansion bottle and probably won't allow the coolant to return to the cooling system when cooling down - leading to loss of coolant but an overfilled expansion bottle instead.

Usually it's the other way round, they wear and wont seal, so when the coolant goes over 100, the coolant begins to boil and the temperature shoots up.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do an efficiency test on the cooling system.
Quite intensive task follows. Theoretically simple but interesting results.

You will need:

a thermometer at the thermostat/regulator housing. A glass one out of the chemists Not a baby one as they do not go high enough. Smile
Try to sort of 'lag' them with rags and tape to prevent them losing the 'measured heat' but have the probe part touching metal to allow heat to conduct to the bulb/probe.
a thermometer at the top tank of the radiator.
a thermometer at the bottom tank of the radiator.

Run the engine and record the temp at 5 min intervals.

Do this until the fan switches on.

continue for another 4 or five readings.

You are trying to find out if the cooling system is cooling the engine effectively.

There should be a very slight drop between the regulator housing and the top tank. If your thermometer is sensitive and accurate enough you will see 1 degree C. Or more.
The main readings you are looking for are top and bottom tank.
The radiator should cool the coolant to be at least 10% cooler than the top tank. If so then the cooling system is good.
If you cannot see at least 10% drop from top to bottom then either the pump is no good or the radiator is blocked internally.

The last thing you should do is invest in taking the head off just yet.

You must be 100% certain of the head problem or you will do the work for nothing and meet the same problem after.

Mostly, head problems cause combustion gasses to blow into the coolant. It will displace the coolant if severe.

Is the water pump is easy to get to I would whip that off before pulling the rad off or the head.

Thinking Thinking Thinking

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How certain is OP that they have no noticeable coolant loss? If almost certain there is so coolant loss, what does the coolant look like? I.e is it just a bit scummy but antifreeze coloured, or is it rusty brown or oily?

It's entirely possible for a radiator to leak externally, or alternatively for tubes inside to get blocked or damaged or collapse, as they are quite delicate things.

I agree with all the sound advice given so far in this thread, but before doing a cooling rate test across the rad, I think I would on my own bike just replace the expansion tank cap/radiator cap, and test or replace the stat too. If a new radiator wasn't daft money I'd probably be forking out for one, not a scientific way to solve a cooling problem, but it's three of the hardest working components in the cooling system, and radiators take a bloody pounding from road debris and any objects flung up hitting them etc.

When doing a coolant flush and re-fill, I think I'd get a water pump gasket too, so you can take the cover off and check both the impeller for damage/corrosion and the inlet and outlet ports to the pump body too.

I'd spin the engine over on the starter with no plugs in or the leads off, and check that the pump rotates too. The reason for this is from reading an article in CMM about a cooling problem on a staff members bike, which the drive to the pump was done via a jackshaft and 90degree bevel gear driving the pump shaft, which had failed.

I've also heard of people doing effectively a leak Down test on parts of the cooling system, where they pressurise the cooling system with air and monitor if and for how long it holds pressure for as a test.

I agree with not taking off a cylinder head until everything else has been eliminated, as head gaskets rarely just fail without one or more fairly obvious signs. There's a world full of people out there that have replaced head gaskets without ever fixing their engines cooling system fault, to find out there was nothing wrong with the head gasket in many cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:58 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not certain there is no coolant loss, but the bike has been sat for a while with no noticeable leaks.
The coolant looks fine also on draining, not scummy or discoloured at all.

Following all of the advice so far this is my plan:
- Check the radiator for blockages, by seeing if water runs through from top to bottom.
- Refill the system and check the pump is working.
- Replace radiator cap (picking up a new one tomorrow).
If all above goes well then I will get the system filled and rigorously work out any air pockets.

Sound sensible?

If I am still not getting anywhere after this then I will have to take the bike to a mechanic. This is already pushing my comfort zone so doubt I will be digging much deeper in terms of removing radiator/head.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:58 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also want to thank everyone for the sound advice so far.
Very helpful, just what I expect from this forum Thumbs Up

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:50 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so all has been done.

The bike seems to run cooler, but it still gets north of 110 degrees in traffic.
I did notice once stopping that the top of the radiator is ever so slightly cooler than the bottom, mean anything? I'm pretty sure there isn't any air in the system.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:23 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Right so all has been done.

The bike seems to run cooler, but it still gets north of 110 degrees in traffic.
I did notice once stopping that the top of the radiator is ever so slightly cooler than the bottom, mean anything? I'm pretty sure there isn't any air in the system.

Mine also would hit that in traffic, a triumph Tech told me as long as it doesn't go north of 120 you are fine, as long as it cools when you get up to speed no problem.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:27 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Daytona 600 hit 115 but never went higher than that, it sharply fell afterwards too, went under 105 and hovered. It was warm however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:27 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is exceptionally warm at the moment, so I'm taking that in to consideration.

I have seen 120 countless times though over the past few weeks, but never above that. And it does cool when I get moving over 20mph or so.

Maybe I should just remove the fairings Laughing

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:02 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIXED Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Worked out a few more air pockets in and around the pump. Did about 400 miles over the weekend, and didn't overheat once.
Hurrah Dance!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3