Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No lights after stator change

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:54 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: No lights after stator change Reply with quote

Hi guys so my stator got munched by a bolt from the fly wheel so got a new stator now i got no headlight or rear light and number plate light ... my bikes a xt125r 06 .any clues what could be up as im totally useless at electrics . Thanks

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's largely a YBR125 in different clothes, fairly sure the Haynes manuals for the YBR cover them. Get a wiring diagram and go from there.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fuse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:06 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try telling us what does work.

At a wild guess, you can kick or either electric start it and it'll run, but the electrics are otherwise off.

If so...
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Check the fuse.

... that. The ignition circuit on basic bikes can be running straight off the reg/rec, while the rest of the electrics are running off the battery via a fuse or fuses. It is possible that when the stator went it took a fuse with it.

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:23 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right fuse looks ok
Electric start works indicators work
Rear brake pedal works horn works and dash works
Iv just been having a look and the head light is coming on a tiny tiny amount . Like the filement it starting to glow when i rev . Also the the dash lights are very dim too and brighten up when reved

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring the new stator for a moment and focussing on your lighting circuit, I'd suspect corrosion in the light switch. Has it been off the road for long? Kept outside? Try a blast of electrical contact cleaner and then flick the light switch a few times.* I'd also look for a corroded connector, a poor earth connection (wiggle some wires) or corrosion beneath the lighting fuse in the fuse box. Stick a new lighting fuse in while you're there.

(*Although in my experience of handlebar switch corrosion it is necessary to open it up and set to with emery paper. This will be a last resort! You'll need detailed photos as you disassemble the various tiny springs and plastic bits within, and the hands of a watchmaker to reassemble it. Let's reconsider the stator as the possible cause before you go there. In the meantime good luck with the contact cleaner aerosol!)

Oh, hang on, 2006? Does it have a lighting on/off switch, or just a high/low beam switch?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If as I suspect the circuit is similar to my cg 125, 2002 model. The lights will only work with the engine running, and are powered with alternating current [AC] direct from the generator, not thru the rectifier/ regulator. Carefully check the connections where the stator connects to the wiring loom. Look for corrosion. Spray with WD 40 or similar. Check earth wire of stator if it has one. These are IMO the likely culprits.

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:07 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have checked light switch amd swapped it for 1 i got spare . No change . And there is no on/off only low high . Imna total noob when it comes to wire (can rebiuld lump blindfolded) i just tried / check the earth on head light (new wire black to earth on frame ? No change ..

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:22 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

neptune8 wrote:
If as I suspect the circuit is similar to my cg 125, 2002 model. The lights will only work with the engine running, and are powered with alternating current [AC] direct from the generator, not thru the rectifier/ regulator. Carefully check the connections where the stator connects to the wiring loom. Look for corrosion. Spray with WD 40 or similar. Check earth wire of stator if it has one. These are IMO the likely culprits.

Checked stator connectors all looks clean and good wiggled wires and pins everythings seams good (only by eye)

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you've not pinched a wire somewhere.

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neptune is correct...only ur headlight, taillight, and license will run direct off one phase of the stator output

Your lights are all lighting up (although dimly) so its not a problem with the AC power or the Earth connections. It seems like the stator isn't producing near enough power for your bike...the only things that can affect how much AC power a stator makes are he size of the stator, and the number and size of the copper windings....

Where did you buy the stator from? Is it definitely the correct one?

I'd also look to check the voltage at the battery when the bikes running: anything below 13V and the stator isn't producing enough power to charge the battery as well...
Anything over ~14.5V means your reg rec is not regulating the Voltage properly.

Also if you have the manual, do an AC output test on the stator, the manual should give you the specs needed

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the wiring diagram, yell, I'll get a photo of it.

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:03 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update . Took bike to lbs and the bloke tested battery reg/rec and stator ...gave me a hmmmmm on the stator and said need to get into it to check propley . I didnt have time so gonna drop the stator in monday for a check .... so a new question ..... if it is the stator thats bad is that ac ???? And could i just get a dc convertion kit to run headlight n rear light as stators gonna be about 150 Sad

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not get your money back or a replacement stator if it was new?

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:32 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Im hoping to as it was via ebay . But havent had no reply from the seller yet and they are in italy .

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:39 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dal wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Im hoping to as it was via ebay . But havent had no reply from the seller yet and they are in italy .

before you have a hissy it on the seller, get hold of a multimeter and wiring diagram and ensure that the stator isn't kicking out any power. on that particular coil.

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:01 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the filament bulbs will run off DC, problem is

What I'd do is:

Charge your battery up overnight so it's fully charged

If the stator is still out of engine give it a check for any black/burnt wires. Unlikely in this case but worth a check...

Put all back together and ride (if it's safe without lights) to the mechanic and ask him to do these 2 tests

1. Coil continuity
Between the 2 AC outputs wires from the stator, there should be almost 0 resistance (ohms)

2. AC output(engine running)
The AC outputs from each of the stator wires should be equal and should be within a specified voltage range

Youtube should have short videos on these tests.

I'm going to try get hold of the spec numbers for these tests and will post them up here tonight if I can

Also as someone said before, the xt125r xt125x and ybr125 all use the same bottom end of the engine...so any stator from these models should work fine...EXCEPT models after 2008 I think they all changed to fuel injection...

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:02 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

*problem is the stator won't be charging the battery

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:54 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results of tests should be as follows:

Test 1:
Resistance between white/red and black - 0.4ohms
Resistance between yellow and black - 0.35ohms

Test 2:
AC output between white/red and black - 13.8-14.5 volts @ 4,000rpm
AC output between yellow and black - 13.8-14.5 volts @ 4,000rpm

If wire colours are different, yellow is the AC output that powers the lighting, white/red is AC going only to reg rec.

Hope this helps!

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:46 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate il go fro them later and post back ...
..... what i thinkin is IF the yellow dc lighting wire off the stator would it still be possbile to do a dc converstion or do i need the yellow wire to work to convert theac power from that one to dc ?

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:59 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dal wrote:
Cheers mate il go fro them later and post back ...
..... what i thinkin is IF the yellow dc lighting wire off the stator would it still be possbile to do a dc converstion or do i need the yellow wire to work to convert theac power from that one to dc ?

The reg rec already convert AC to DC.
The yellow and white/red wires both supply AC to the reg rec, and from the reg rec there will be a red + wire which is DC current.
The AC lights are just piggy backed into one of the AC phases( in our case the yellow phase wires)

Before thinking about a DC conversion for lights, at least make sure the battery is getting enough power to charge up. Then if the stator is at least half decent you can change to LED lights....

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:06 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw I'm saying all this assuming there was no problems with the lights before stator change...

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not convert your lighting to DC. The bikes charging system would not cope with the extra load on the battery. Try this. You need a test lamp consisting of a headlamp bulb in a holder. Have you an old spare bulb, with at least one filament. No holder? Solder two wires to the bulb to make a test lamp. Confirm it works by connecting it directly to your battery. Or borrow the buld and holder from your headlamp. Test it on the battery to confirm you are using the right connections. OK, now connect the test lamp between the AC output wire from the alternator that feeds the lighting, and the engine block. It should light brightly with engine at 4,000 revs. If not, the fault is in the stator, or its earth connection. Unlikely to be the eath as it earths thru its mounting bolts. If it does light, it is a switch or wiring fault/

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

neptune8 wrote:
Do not convert your lighting to DC. The bikes charging system would not cope with the extra load on the battery. Try this. You need a test lamp consisting of a headlamp bulb in a holder. Have you an old spare bulb, with at least one filament. No holder? Solder two wires to the bulb to make a test lamp. Confirm it works by connecting it directly to your battery. Or borrow the buld and holder from your headlamp. Test it on the battery to confirm you are using the right connections. OK, now connect the test lamp between the AC output wire from the alternator that feeds the lighting, and the engine block. It should light brightly with engine at 4,000 revs. If not, the fault is in the stator, or its earth connection. Unlikely to be the eath as it earths thru its mounting bolts. If it does light, it is a switch or wiring fault/

Ok kool il give it a try ....so use spare blub in holder . Join 2 wires to iver wire on blub hold but not black ??? Is this right so far .... then put other end on a earth point or neg on battery and other wire on yellow from stator ?? .

dal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:13 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
I joined 2 wires too bulb holder other end to the bottom end side bolt and other too the yellow wire coming from stator and started bike and blub lit up bright
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5