Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CRF450x Not Starting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:26 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: CRF450x Not Starting Reply with quote

So when I go to start the bike with the e-start I just get a click coming from the starter solenoid. It's a 2011 with 3000 miles so I don't think it will be something big. I've replaced the starter solenoid and get the exact same problem, it will occasionally spin the starter motor but not enough to turn the engine over. I've had the battery checked at Halfords and they said it was fine.

Also not sure why but when the bike is in gear and the clutch is held fully in I can't move the bike, however, it seems to be easier to push the higher the gear (Was trying to bump start the bike). I managed to bump it in 4th gear but it cut out because it was too low on revs Confused

I'm also unable to kick it over as I'm just not that good at it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords.

Attach it to a car battery and crank it. That will tell you if Halfords are just fucking retarded.

Learn to kick it, leave ign off, kick over through the 'loose' ones until it gets quite stiff, put it all the way to the top again, ign on and belt it down. Don't twist the throttle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:23 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Halfords.

Attach it to a car battery and crank it. That will tell you if Halfords are just fucking retarded.

Learn to kick it, leave ign off, kick over through the 'loose' ones until it gets quite stiff, put it all the way to the top again, ign on and belt it down. Don't twist the throttle.

Thanks for the reply, will try that tomorrow and will update you.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:30 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: CRF450x Not Starting Reply with quote

How did Halfords check the battery?

What tool(s) did they use?

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:36 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: CRF450x Not Starting Reply with quote

G wrote:
How did Halfords check the battery?

What tool(s) did they use?

It was a machine that he put the battery in and he typed the serial # into.... will try getting it started and leave it running tomorrow.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I more concerned about the clutch drag or whatever, has that come on gradually before the starting issues?
It does sound like a failing battery but if something is making the engine very hard to turn over you'd get similar symptom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:04 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I more concerned about the clutch drag or whatever, has that come on gradually before the starting issues?
It does sound like a failing battery but if something is making the engine very hard to turn over you'd get similar symptom.

Just bought the bike, had it started with the e-start the same day I collected it but the next morning it wouldn't start.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Sounds like car oil in the engine if it`s a wet clutch.

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:19 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
doggone wrote:

Sounds like car oil in the engine if it`s a wet clutch.

Pretty sure it is motorcycle oil as he gave me the rest of the bottle, however, I measured the gearbox oil and it was over the max level on the dipstick. Could this cause the problem?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:52 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: CRF450x Not Starting Reply with quote

Clutches can seize if the bike's been left for a while. If you ridden it, I wouldn't expect that to be the case.

Enduro bikes are often finicky starts, but the X has always been ok and certainly by this year I expect.

However, it probably still will have a low capacity battery and a relatively light weight starter.

So, start with jump starting with a car battery.

Presuming it is carb (quick check suggests it is), I would also clean the carb out if it hasn't been recently. A season's off road riding will normally mean they are a bit clogged.

This doesn't explain the rest, but may make it easier to kickstart - though that still does take some technique and a bit of strength.

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: CRF450x Not Starting Reply with quote

G wrote:
Clutches can seize if the bike's been left for a while. If you ridden it, I wouldn't expect that to be the case.

Enduro bikes are often finicky starts, but the X has always been ok and certainly by this year I expect.

However, it probably still will have a low capacity battery and a relatively light weight starter.

So, start with jump starting with a car battery.

Presuming it is carb (quick check suggests it is), I would also clean the carb out if it hasn't been recently. A season's off road riding will normally mean they are a bit clogged.

This doesn't explain the rest, but may make it easier to kickstart - though that still does take some technique and a bit of strength.

The guy I bought it off said he only used it 6 times, so this could be the case. I'm going to try bumping it in 3rd gear. I read that the clutch problem can happen when the bike is cold, apparently once it's warm it will be fine.

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:10 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I messaged the guy I bought it from and he said you can't bump start it because it has high compression. Also noticed when I hold the e-start down for a bit it starts to buzz, pretty sure this means the battery is dead.

Might try jumping it from a car tomorrow.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:04 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gozp wrote:

Just do it, take literally a minute. Leave car off, connect + to + and - to - or frame, doesn't really matter, they are the same in theory... but then just crank the bike over.

You'd not want to try bumping a big single anyway, it'll be proper hard Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:51 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue with my KTM, worked out the earth strap was corroded. 2 minutes with a file it was perfect again

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:46 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Gozp wrote:

Just do it, take literally a minute. Leave car off, connect + to + and - to - or frame, doesn't really matter, they are the same in theory... but then just crank the bike over.

You'd not want to try bumping a big single anyway, it'll be proper hard Laughing

Tried jumping it from a car but still got nothing! this is beginning to annoy me. I pay £3000 for a bike that doesn't start Mad

But thanks for the suggestions guys.

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:49 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I had the same issue with my KTM, worked out the earth strap was corroded. 2 minutes with a file it was perfect again

Where's the earth strap located?

My thoughts were to check the wiring from the solenoid to the starter motor. But if it's not this it must be the starter itself Sad

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gozp wrote:

Where's the earth strap located?

There should be a fairly simple black wire from battery negative to frame, they tend to corrode where attached to frame, a simple test is connect battery negative to a bright bit of metal with your jump lead and see if there's any change - even if it still won't start.

This is a useful test with any vehicle mysteriously not turning over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:56 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the negative jump lead to a conductive bit of frame as above and the positive (carefully) directly onto the positive terminal of the starter motor.

This should pretty categorically show you if the starter motor is at issue or a connection.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:53 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice using the kick start and use the electric starter as more of an electric restarter. Thumbs Up

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:41 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Still no luck with the bike. I've checked a lot of the wiring and it looks okay to me, starting to think the starter motor could be jammed... would this link to the bike not moving in gear?

Also, I'm going to have to get a mechanic out to look at it, going to try the last thing suggested by you guys which is jumping it linked up to the starter motor.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:57 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter not turning shouldn't stop anything else on the bike working if the sprag clutch is ok.

When you jump start to the starter, I'd attach the earth to the engine or frame just in case there is an earth-strap issue.

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:19 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The starter not turning shouldn't stop anything else on the bike working if the sprag clutch is ok.

When you jump start to the starter, I'd attach the earth to the engine or frame just in case there is an earth-strap issue.

Yeah took the earth strap off and added some more insulation because it looked pretty worn. Will be trying that tomorrow and i'll update you, hopefully it's not the starter because that's £200 alone.

Gozp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:07 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Had a mechanic round and he got it to turn the starter with jump leads. Have no idea why i couldn't jump it but he said i need a new battery and a new spark plug.

Is Champion good or shall i get NGK? the NGK is double the price.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt wrong with Champion. Should be on e-bay for a fiver.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1