Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Christmas of militant discontent.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on a scale of 1 to 10, what chance do you think that said union bloke's plans have of succeeding?

Personally I'd give it less than zero!

Click bait, 'non news' story turns out to be 'non news', who knew!
On a par with the Beeb reporting the winners of a, Beeb, talent show as news!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:24 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck the unions.

They destroy industries and companies.

Haven't heard much noise from the butthurt junior doctors recently, guess they've all made good on their threats to leave the country.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:40 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's very hard to get behind train drivers (no ones opening the doors Dance! ) when no one is losing their job or having pay reduced, apparently last year 1.5 million train journeys ran where drivers closed the doors and there were no more accidents than if a conductor did it (0 deaths). Safety my arse they're acting up for the sake of it.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
it's very hard to get behind train drivers (no ones opening the doors Dance! ) when no one is losing their job or having pay reduced, apparently last year 1.5 million train journeys ran where drivers closed the doors and there were no more accidents than if a conductor did it (0 deaths). Safety my arse they're acting up for the sake of it.

Given we are very nearly at the point of driverless cars... If I was a train driver I be scared shitless for my job....

So perhaps the drivers should be stabbing the conductors in the back, as they cost a lot more to employ than the conductors Laughing

Given that they run on tracks, no driver has to be a piece of piss to do..

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think this story has surfaced now?

Here's a clue, the opposing sides, in the dispute, are in the middle of a propaganda war!

You're right it's not about safety, it's, unequivocally, about cutting costs so the shareholders can maximise the returns on their investments, that is all.
You'd think the shareholders would be happy enough with the subsidies they receive, (the taxpayer handed them £40M in 2015 and a further £20M this September), but hey ho that's just public money, there to be trousered, and who gives a fcuk about that? Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Fuck the unions.

They destroy industries and companies.

Haven't heard much noise from the butthurt junior doctors recently, guess they've all made good on their threats to leave the country.

The problem's we only enjoy the benefits we take for granted due to unions, and people willing to stand-up to companies. Whilst you may not agree with every dispute, if you look at Sports Direct etc. if shows what companies will do if they think they can get away with it.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
At least Corbyn knows which side his bread is buttered.... Quite literally in terms of cash donations.

Quote:
Jeremy Corbyn (centre) was pictured at the Aslef Christmas party with union president Tosh McDonald (right) and RMT member Dave Wallis, cousin of the late RMT chief Bob Crow

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/13/12/3B5107F100000578-4028490-image-a-1_1481632223362.jpg

Quote:
Jeremy Corbyn was handed £35,000 towards his Labour leadership re-election campaign by the unions behind the Southern Rail strike.
The veteran left-winger declared £25,000 from the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union (RMT) and another £10,000 from Aslef over the summer.
The bodies have also given large sums to the wider Labour Party.

For someone who often trots out the right wing mantra about public/taxpayers money being wasted, you seem remarkably compliant when it comes to £60M of public/taxpayers money being handed over, with no strings attached, to the shareholders of GOG plc.
Or have I missed a, monumental, seismic, political shift?

What that's got to do with unions handing over money to the labour party I don't know, are the unions subsidised with public/taxpayers money, or are they funded internally?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

The problem's we only enjoy the benefits we take for granted due to unions, and people willing to stand-up to companies. Whilst you may not agree with every dispute, if you look at Sports Direct etc. if shows what companies will do if they think they can get away with it.

Really? Like what? No rail, teachers strikes, tube strikes, air strikes, postal workers strikes?

Not my idea of benefits.

The Unions tend to destroy an industry rather then improve it.

Like working 7 days a week, no sick pay, no holiday, people losing limbs and dying at work. I've just left a company where unions were successfully frozen out, the attitude towards health and safety (both workers and the public) was truly shocking.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In leftist world, they want the railways to be taken back in to public hands, it not be any cheaper for the user and they will strike like hell anyway over the littlest things, like they used to.
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Yes, the government, not Govia Thameslink Railway, collect the ticket revenue from Southern Rail services.

It matters not a jot that the government gets the ticket revenue, GOG plc. is paid by the government to run the service, they don't do it for free!

mpd72 wrote:
This Union action does not hurt Southern in the slightest, it hurts the treasury, which we (those of us who work) have to pay for.

So you hate the fact that the union are hurting the treasury, but you won't condemn the treasury for handing over £60M to GOG plc shareholders, for what is, basically, their inability to run the service!
Double standards, much!

You know, as well as I do, that Southern Rail, (parent company Go ahead Group plc), were a complete and utter clusterfuck well before any industrial action reared it's head!
The fact they couldn't run a Hornby train set, let alone the busiest rail franchise in the country. is not even in question, the rail minister resigned, saying that:-

Quote:
she was fed up justifying how crap our railways are

So crap, in fact, that the government had to hand over £60M!

But apparently that's money well spent!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Of course it matters, these strikes do not financially hurt Southern they hurt us, the tax payer. Usual nonsense of militant lefties picking the wrong target to vent their anger.

I can only marvel at your lack of anger at the government spunking £60M, directly, into shareholders pockets!

I believe that's known as having your cake and eating it!

Union costs the taxpayer money, you rage!
Government lines the pockets of shareholders, with taxpayers money, and you couldn't give a monkey's! Says it all really!

As I said before, double standards, much!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
me me me me me

And therein is the problem. Ironic you mention about people being inconvenienced by losing jobs, what about those on the railway for example, who lost theirs due to the change in ticketing, who will lose theirs if they go to guardless trains?

Or do they not matter? :hmmm:

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

And without a union, were you back to 7 days weeks, no holiday, gruel for rations?
I'm self employed, like the majority of the general public, unions do feck all for me, only inconvenience me.

Using the argument that unions provide us with all these benefits is the same argument most pro EU people come out with. It's no different to pretending we'd have no morals without religion.

Back in the industrial revolution maybe there was a need, nowadays it's outdated political nonsense harping back to the anti Thatcher attitude of the 80's.

I didn't say that, read the following line. I did see my colleagues get badly injured and members of the public put at risk.

How much holiday or sickpay do deliveroo/uber drivers get? What about people on zero hour contracts? What about having to pay £1500 to take your employer to a tribunal? What about apprenticeships, unpaid placements?

Workers rights are being eroded, you don't need to go back hundreds of years, only a few decades to see how bad things were.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Maybe it's showing that the Tories are right about not nationalising the railway again?

Given that the government sell rail franchises, then have to bail out the bastards to the tune of millions of £'s, when they fcuk it up, we appear to be getting nationalisation by the back door!

mpd72 wrote:
Some people have very short memories - British Fail was the unlimited of crap, in a time before 30M immigrants flooded into the UK.

And finally, you got there, well done, have a biscuit with your name pn it! Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6