BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM Duke 790

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: KTM Duke 790 Reply with quote

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/595063/1000x750/KTM-790-DUKE-PROTOTYPE_02.jpg

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/november/ktm-790-duke-prototypre-2017-eicma-milan/

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/watch-ktm-790-duke-prototype-action

https://www.cycleworld.com/ktm-790-duke-prototype-is-here-to-own-middleweight-naked-category

Gorgeous bike (IMO), be interesting to see if it still looks anything like the above if it goes into production.

My guess is that they'll make a production version. It will fall within the A2 license rules, blow every other current parallel twin and current A2 bikes out of the water (on the performance front)... but then the price tag will push most A2 riders away and their will be some reliability issues that surface.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:13 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 790 Reply with quote

Really all new, not just a rehashed Husky twin, I wonder.

Be interesting if they can make it properly light.
Then make a lighter SM/enduro/adventure/RC version.

Hope it does stay more towards the premium end than the the relatively budget new small CC road bikes (that are actually heavier than the lighter 690s).

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 790 Reply with quote

Az wrote:
https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/595063/1000x750/KTM-790-DUKE-PROTOTYPE_02.jpg

Where's the rest of it?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm Gorgeous bike you say?

It's like another Alien from the Yamaha design school with a hint of Kawasaki transformers look about it too!

Not for me at all. I like the idea of a simple supermoto version of a light enduro bike, but with a parallel twin, triple or 4pot engine fitted in. If it looked like an EXC enduro with supermoto kit, it would then be sexy enough, but it's too weird and from another world as it is.

The twin/triple/four Street supermotard bike idea is a good one, as IMO when you get much over 400cc, single pot motors don't work too well on.the road for most riders, riding conditions and our roads and the way we drive and ride.

The single cylinder engine is a king of closed circuit competition and as a race on or off engine or for very technical riding conditions. Its not for most people most of the time a great road engine or one that suits many riders that are one bike owners.

Anyway where are the likes of Yamaha, Kawasaki and KTM etc getting their current vehicle designers from? The centre of the Chenoybl reactors location maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Hmmm Gorgeous bike you say?
It's like another Alien from the Yamaha design school with a hint of Kawasaki transformers look about it too!

The world would be boring if we all liked the same shit.

I like loads of stuff all over the spectrum, but 'cafe racers' leave me dead.

On topic - That bike is very nice indeed. Out of my price range, but we'll see what happens with the second hand market a few years down the line.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:02 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 790 Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Where's the rest of it?

https://i.imgur.com/HtL7HbW.png

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:03 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 790 Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:
Where's the rest of it?

https://i.imgur.com/HtL7HbW.png

That's too dangerous.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2566446/HtL7HbW.jpg

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 790 Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Az wrote:

Where's the rest of it?

Pre crashed, so you don't have to, presumably!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:13 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 790 Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Pre crashed, so you don't have to, presumably!

Yup, first thing that sprang to mind was "Streetfighter conversion, 90% complete, easy project."

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

'All-new 800cc parallel-twin'

Lost my boner Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:07 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
'All-new 800cc parallel-twin'

Lost my boner Sad

What would you have preferred?

Seems by far the best choice really; in this case, well packaged to keep the bike compact, which looks good for possible dirty/supermoto offerings.
(Though traditionally the Duke uses a different frame to the enduro/SMC versions I believe... not sure on the 950/990.)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it would be a v-twin... https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2014/november/ktm-plan-new-v-twins/

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:39 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I thought it would be a v-twin...

Why would that be better?

Sure, it can be a little narrower, but often forces the seat height up, makes it more costly, heavier, more expensive exhausts, more rotating mass and so on.

With road bits, from last year:
https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/545961/1752x1168/KTMDuke005.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing they camouflaged it as you might be able to tell what bike it is Smile I'm gonna sound like Paddy here but I think Parallel twins are dire and the leading cause of suicide in males under 45 (fact).

Dukes are relatively tall and light anyway, they could accommodate a v-twin. They've gone for the ghey option and it'll look hideously expensive compared to an MT-07.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azVXkrbPtbo Baklaff revisions for Mod 1?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:18 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm gonna sound like Paddy here but I think Parallel twins are dire and the leading cause of suicide in males under 45 (fact).

tl:dr - engine layout is not directed to engine character.

Letting the tef'ing commence...

Because they're a bit too revvy for you?.. you think said males can't handle the excitement when they ride one after riding their V-twin and realise what a mistake they've made getting a linear-flat-power-delivery abomination of a v-twin?

Wink

As far as I can remember, I've owned two parallel twins. Both were definitely more interesting than the SV650s I've owned.
Ok, I have owned two RS250s that are also v-twins and have a nicer power delivery.
However they still felt really linear compared to the tuned KR1S - it did have a powervalve, but not like you could tell as most of the power hit in the last 2k rpm.
Other one is the 5 valve TRX. While the power kicked in at 4Krpm, it only revved to 8krpm, so relatively was quite revvy.

Of course they are used in 'boring' bikes too - just as you can get a 250cc 2 stroke with a really boring linear delivery and a really similar engine setup a bit differently with a nothing-nothing-flip-the-bike delivery depending on whether it's in enduro or mx trim.

So it's not the engine layout that's the issue, but the intended design.]

So similarly, the CBR tends to have an ok delivery for a Honda, while the Hornet tends to be extra-boring despite being a 4.

If you go for a 270 degree crank, you get the same firing order as a twin...
Which in my experience means it sounds a bit different and that's about it.
Technically you may get more traction, but from what I can see you'd probably be a top level BSB or better rider to have a hope of making use of that!

However, I'd tend to say the same for most 4 stroke twins and singles of any type - you're expected to make your own fun, rather than the bike encouraging you to have fun.

Though the 1299 could be interesting ... similar power curve to an RS250 etc.

Last edited by G on 15:47 - 20 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so ugly I want to burn it

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Letting the tef'ing commence...

Yes going completely off-topic about something totally irrelevant? When did we start talking about 2-strokes?

I actually find IL4's a bit meh as well, not boring like a 4-stroke parallel twin Razz, but uninspiring enough (at least in the sort of bikes I'd be after) not to want one.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:05 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, err, what does inspire you?

Are you seriously saying that a 4 stroke v-twin inspires you? Shocked

Care to suggest some models you've found inspiring, regardless of the engine configuration?

Oh it was parrelel twins that you mentioned, not specifiying other characteristics. However beside the point as you can fund revvy 4 stroke road twins when compared to flatter/boringer v-twins of the same ilk.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Good thing they camouflaged it as you might be able to tell what bike it is Smile I'm gonna sound like Paddy here but I think Parallel twins are dire and the leading cause of suicide in males under 45 (fact).

Dukes are relatively tall and light anyway, they could accommodate a v-twin. They've gone for the ghey option and it'll look hideously expensive compared to an MT-07.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azVXkrbPtbo Baklaff revisions for Mod 1?

yeah, looks boring as shit Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
So, err, what does inspire you?

Are you seriously saying that a 4 stroke v-twin inspires you? Shocked

No I'm saying that until I rode a parallel twin I thought all motorbikes were fun. How do you manage to take something inherently enjoyable and ruin it?

With the Duke it seems odd to have the 690 single, 990 Superduke v-twin, and then a parallel twin in the middle. Do you see what I mean, they could have gone either way with the other engines?

I've not ridden enough bikes to categorically say what I like (I've not ridden a triple or V4), but there's two things I really do like about the MT-03. One how agile it's, the second how it gives you everything its got in one spazzy go Smile No searching around for power, and the torque makes up for its meager stable of ponies.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:33 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW has/had a single, 800 parallel twin and 1200 boxer twin.

What parallel-twins have you ridden specifically?

I haven't ridden an MT-03 I don't think, but pretty sure I'd find it rather dull - significantly heavier with less go than the 690 KTM.

I'm a bit confused by you saying that it gives it all in one go.
Do you mean you don't have to rev it? (you do, it's just low geared/low revving Wink, which can fool you into not noticing it hasn't got much left on top.)
It doesn't have much torque. It has low gearing. A sports 600 geared the same would be massively more perky in a similar gear. It might have less torque at the engine, but would have a lot more on the road thanks to more favourable gearing ratio (so more power).

To me that description say you get not much, then a big hit at the top - as my KR1S had.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap ones, ER5 & 6, I do want to try an MT-07*. I don't disagree about the weight with the MT-03 except you really don't feel it whilst on the move, you know how everyone always says that and they're actually lying Smile, in this case you really don't. It's not a high revving bike, there's nothing to rev. It has (off the top of my head) a bit more torque than a 600 Bandit whilst being at a 30bhp defect.

*I don't recall anyone praising the engine, most of the hysterics come from the novelty of a big bike weighing less than 200kg... and the price.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:05 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's your issue! Wink Think that was what I was getting to - boring bikes are boring regardless. Fun bikes are fun, if they're powerbandy 2 strokes Razz.
And what v-twins have you ridden to compare?

Your bike seems to have a similar weight to my 675, but with under half the power. Slower steering too, I suspect!
(Ok, that's not an entirely fair comparison.)

Generally I'd say "you don't notice the weight while moving" when you've got acceptable suspension - the issue comes in when you've got inadequate suspension, which then more shows up the weight. When i first rode a bandit 1200 I thought it felt incredibly smooth and light - but then my own bike was a KLR650 with a knackered shock.

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:17 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like KTM, but i]m not a fan of this, so its 2x 390 engines?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bloody horrible. Sick
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3