BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM Duke 790

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:25 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you guys are arguing, can I ask the noob question of how much engine configuration really makes a difference? Google informs me that I've only ridden inline/parallel twins assuming they are the same thing. One was dull as dishwater despite more power, super predictable (er6), the other fun with sudden increases in acceleration depending on revs etc. (r3)

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Your expert opinion duly noted!
Wink

Excuse me?

I'll have you know I'm up there with the best of the best armchair pilots!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:15 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
Whilst you guys are arguing, can I ask the noob question of how much engine configuration really makes a difference? Google informs me that I've only ridden inline/parallel twins assuming they are the same thing. One was dull as dishwater despite more power, super predictable (er6), the other fun with sudden increases in acceleration depending on revs etc. (r3)

They are the same.
The angle of the cylinders makes very little difference.
However it can be that certain configurations are most often used for a specific purposes - inline tends to be cheaper and twins tend to make less power than more cylinders, so inline twins more likely to appear on budget commuter bikes.

Typically the more cylinders a bike has, the higher it will rev and more power it will make for the same capacity.
Typically bikes that aim for high peak power will have less midrange. For instance the Ducati 1299 twin is quite lacking in midrange compared to the CBR1000RR (4 cylinder) which is lacking in top end, but has lots of midrange.
Shorter stroke (length the piston travels) allows higher revs, while longer stroke tends to give more torque and less revs - so more midrange.
Of course two bikes with similar engines can be setup quite differently through adjustment of various items.

If it's a 2 stroke, all bets are off - they are none to be very 'powerbandy' with a sudden hit of power, however also some of the most linear bikes I've owned and ridden have been competition 2 strokes (larger cc trials and enduro bikes.)

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

an inline twin is just a v twin with 0° of v Cool

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
M.C wrote:

How is a big thumper boring? Confused With supermotos I think it's the (lack of) weight that creates the fun factor, a lesson for people endlessly chasing horsepower.

For the most part, linear delivery.
As ever with low powered engines, you do need to rev them to make decent, but that they don't massively change character between low and high revs (in sound, delivery, etc) can mean they don't particularly 'encourage' you to rev it that bit more, go that bit faster.

And yes - for supermotos lack of weight (which is why I'll oft' criticise 'supermotos' that weigh more than a sports bike with twice the power) and high centre of gravity that sees wheels more likely to leave tarmac.

No you don't. I can sit beneath 4,000rpm all day, in fact I do most of the time, as beyond 4.1K it turns into a bucking bronco. Also you do realise it red lines at 7.5k (I think the XT @7) right?

It's a good thing I don't own a supermoto then Wink Yamaha made up a name (I think roadster motard) as it's a naked bike with supermoto qualities. You seriously need to ride one, and then you can tell me the power delivery's linear.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:36 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You very nicely make my point Very Happy.

To keep up at a reasonable speed for the bike, you do need to rev it:
https://images.delkevic.co.uk/product4386_27b.jpg
So to be making what the litre 4s do at around a quarter revs you need to be right at the top of the rev range.

However the bike 'feels' like you'll do just as well lower down.
If it's got dodgy fuelling or you're not very smooth on the throttle that might be another matter to address Smile.
But to 'make progress' I'd definitely be using all the revs available!

(Appreciated not if you're just sitting in traffic etc.)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:25 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
[revs]

Did you just assume zis gearing?

So, so racist.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:07 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like it tbh! It looks especially good in the peomo vid KTM have released.

https://youtu.be/azVXkrbPtbo

Apologies for getting back on topic btw Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:15 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:

Or perhaps showing you haven't read the topic Wink. https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4395548#4395548

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
You very nicely make my point Very Happy.

To keep up at a reasonable speed for the bike, you do need to rev it:
https://images.delkevic.co.uk/product4386_27b.jpg
So to be making what the litre 4s do at around a quarter revs you need to be right at the top of the rev range.

However the bike 'feels' like you'll do just as well lower down.
If it's got dodgy fuelling or you're not very smooth on the throttle that might be another matter to address Smile.
But to 'make progress' I'd definitely be using all the revs available!

(Appreciated not if you're just sitting in traffic etc.)

I'm not a dyno nerd but aren't you meant to plot rpm?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:20 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really matter as it's directly comparable to mph unless your clutch is knackered.

You'll see mph if they can't be bothered to connect the sensor for rpm.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:26 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

Or perhaps showing you haven't read the topic Wink. https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4395548#4395548

It was the random dynographs of Blades and S1000RR's that got me going.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

All said and done I think engine sound is as important or desirable as character, if not much more so?

People will hear say an RSV 1000 with open cans, and think fucking awesome! But another GSXR or Blade can't do much more than roar then howl on an open pipe. For most people the Aprilia wins if for nothing more than what grabs your hearing senses and maybe emotions.

Singles can sound brilliant or really dull or plain annoying depending on the bike, the pipe and how it's ridden. The same goes for twins and triples as well as the everyman IL4 too. The only configuration I've yet to hear a dull sounding bike from is the in line 6cylinder, but then there's not a huge amount of six pot bikes to sample from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:26 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people like a bike that sounds the same whatever the revs.
For riding, I find that annoying - it took a good while getting used to where to shift up on the SV on track.

And generally I prefer the sport over tractor audio aesthetic too.

So for me the Aprilia grabs my eotions the same as a tractor - great if I need to tow something heavy up a hill! Razz

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard an RSV 1000 sound like a tractor, or seen one towing heavy loads up a long hill either! Wink

I'm just getting all concerned now that your backing yourself into a GSXR 1000 shape corner, with maybe a bigger rear sprocket hanging on the wall. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:53 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should go listen to an RSV...
But yes, alas many seem to think twins are for 'sports' rather than hauling fat-arse!

Quote:
I'm just getting all concerned now that your backing yourself into a GSXR 1000 shape corner, with maybe a bigger rear sprocket hanging on the wall. Wink

I think you'll find it hard to discover a case where I haven't promoted the GSXR 1000 as a bike I chose because it was boring Wink.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3