Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Street Triple Launch 10.01.2017

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:41 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with sticky up to temp slicks I can easily have the rear hopping about on a Daytona 675 if I mess up a gear change, going down too early/too harshly.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 striple r arrow map, wasn't difficult

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:59 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed an A2 version of the striple on Triumph's website. It has a 660cc unit instead of the 765 fitted to the others. Great news if you're 19 with more money than sense!

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Just noticed an A2 version of the striple on Triumph's website. It has a 660cc unit instead of the 765 fitted to the others. Great news if you're 19 with more money than sense!

Australian version?

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:30 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty cool dash system too

Ofcourse the coolest one is an exclusive to the RS model. -_-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_y9g9BsgW8

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Even with sticky up to temp slicks I can easily have the rear hopping about on a Daytona 675 if I mess up a gear change, going down too early/too harshly.

vice wrote:
2013 striple r arrow map, wasn't difficult

Fair enough, but I am surprised. The ECU does some clever anti-rev droppy thing apparently, but whatever / however, I've never needed to slip the clutch or blip the throttle.

I do prefer to blip on my SV, it's definitely much less happy about going down the box at anything approaching vaguely brisk.

I'm a fat git though, so this may help.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:02 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ECU definitely isn't that clever, but later ones might be Smile.

In my experience it's feels like it's related to power when you kick down - I'd say the race SV was less bad than the 675.
However, of course the 675 revs higher and many people may actually change down at relatively lower rpm. (Took me ages to be able to judge rpm from sound on the SV.)

Look forward to seeing more dashes like that - ideally running on android, able to run apps Razz.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:15 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

Australian version?

Perhaps or something similar. Noticed it on the UK website though.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still as easy to nick I wonder? Thinking

Anyway, I don't really like them. I much prefer the Aprilia Tuono V4 as a naked proposition.. Drooling

https://www.aprilia.com/assets/aprilia-sites/master/models/moto/road/tuono-V4-1100-RR/Gallery/03-tuonoV4_rr_portimao-grey_latdx/original/03-tuonoV4_rr_portimao-grey_latdx.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Anyway, I don't really like them. I much prefer the Aprilia Tuono V4 as a naked proposition.. Drooling

I like the current Striple. I like the idea of the Speed Triple. But taking the smaller bike up just a 100cc or so seems to me will result in the worst of both worlds. A big part of the Striple's appeal for me was its light weight, easy to flick around (although I've since discovered maybe that isn't really my thing). I've always suspected it's current bigger brother doesn't have enough oomph. Something in between? Hmmm, I'm not confident.

OTOH, the Tuono I'm almost certain I'd enjoy.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:09 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
But taking the smaller bike up just a 100cc or so seems to me will result in the worst of both worlds. A big part of the Striple's appeal for me was its light weight, easy to flick around (although I've since discovered maybe that isn't really my thing).

They made it lighter not heavier I believe?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Still as easy to nick I wonder? Thinking

https://www.aprilia.com/assets/aprilia-sites/master/models/moto/road/tuono-V4-1100-RR/Gallery/03-tuonoV4_rr_portimao-grey_latdx/original/03-tuonoV4_rr_portimao-grey_latdx.jpg

+1 to that. V4 1100 Tuono Factory is pure sex. Unfair comparison though, Striple isn't even in the same league.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
But taking the smaller bike up just a 100cc or so seems to me will result in the worst of both worlds. A big part of the Striple's appeal for me was its light weight, easy to flick around (although I've since discovered maybe that isn't really my thing).

They made it lighter not heavier I believe?

Has potential then, I guess. Although somehow, it still isn't grabbing my imagination Confused Will all be in the power curve characteristics then, perhaps. My heart is saying, "make it vicious!" Twisted Evil
My tastes aren't exactly conventional by modern standards though Rolling Eyes Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Striple isn't even in the same league.

or price bracket.

Triumph claim they tore up the rule book for the new striple. I suspect they tore it up then got the bloke who originally wrote it to rewrite it from memory resulting in something that's the same as the old one with a few bits changed. Nothing as dramatic at they claimed.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:13 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed; it does seem like 'the same, but a little more'.

In the end, I thought one of the reasons people liked the smaller bike was the reduced power levels compared to the litre 4s, so it could be 'used' more.

Though of course that was Ducati's idea with sports bikes and now their smaller bike is way bigger than their original superbikes in capacity and significantly higher power output - 157hp claimed from what was previously a "600 class" bike.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It's much ado about not much really. That's marketing for you. The changes that they have made are all positive on paper though, IMO.

chickenstrip wrote:
My heart is saying, "make it vicious!" Twisted Evil

With the possible exception of the Rocket III, I'm not sure Triumph do (or have ever) made a motorcycle that could really be described as vicious.

If that's what you want from a naked bike, I'd recommend the Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce. The MT-10 is pretty vicious too.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

If that's what you want from a naked bike, I'd recommend the Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce. The MT-10 is pretty vicious too.

I think "vicious" is a gut reaction in my case. It always appeals to me Laughing

The bikes that currently really appeal to me are the Tuono (want to try the twin, but the V4 looks much nicer), the SDR1290 and yes, the MT10 , although the looks of the latter don't do much for me; I like what I hear of its character though. Not that I could afford any of them Sad

All those 3 are in a quite different league to any Triumph though. Triumph need to make something that will have real impact in that market, I reckon. The Speed Triple should perhaps be the next one in its sights then, but a wholly new machine. Well, obvious really, cos if they don't, they'll be completely left behind in the litre stakes; probably are already - the BMW S1000R sounds like a much better bike to me, and the way things are going, it won't be long before the other big three Japs will be making it look old too.

So they drop the 675 Striple, their big hitter. They haven't got a litre bike that is up to scratch. The bigger engined Striple will be it for a while. Maybe it can challenge the litre bikes because it'll be so light? But will it then be too flighty for a road bike? Thinking

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The Speed Triple should perhaps be the next one in its sights then, but a wholly new machine. Well, obvious really, cos if they don't, they'll be completely left behind in the litre stakes; probably are already - the BMW S1000R sounds like a much better bike to me, and the way things are going, it won't be long before the other big three Japs will be making it look old too.

Actually, as I mentioned earlier, purely from a performance perspective the Speed Triple looks like it might be surprisingly competitive. The 'Rutter test' in Performance Bikes has seen Michael Rutter take many bikes around Mallory Park for a full day in order to set a track time. Here are some of the times:

2015 BMW S1000RR Sport (for reference): 53.8 Seconds

(Ducati 1299 / Yamaha R1M / Aprilia RSV4RF are all within 0.4 seconds of the S1000RR)

Naked Bikes:

2015 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory: 55.8 Seconds
2016 Triumph Speed Triple R: 56.4 Seconds
2014 Triumph Daytona 675R: 56.59 Seconds (again for reference)
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R: 57.3 Seconds
2016 Ducati Monster 1200R: 57.6 Seconds
2016 Yamaha MT-10: 57.84 Seconds
2014 BMW S1000R Sport: 58.44 Seconds
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke: 59.03 Seconds

No Street Triple but I wouldn't be surprised to see the new one there later this year. But as far as the Speed Triple goes, it's much more competitive than you might have expected given the spec.

Last edited by Alex A on 23:55 - 11 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

tricolorsuper...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:42 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Does this mean there'll be loads of the 'old' ones available early next year... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Somehow I doubt, based on that video, that the looks are changing much...

You can watch the Launch video that has all details. LINK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkvtynx1dQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
But as far as the Speed Triple goes, it's much more competitive than you might have expected given the statistics.

Well, I wonder where I got that idea from then? Perhaps I'm thinking of older models, and just haven't kept up with things that much. On the face of it then, with similarly competent riders on the road, there shouldn't be that much in it. I'd be interested to see similar comparisons from, say, the States or Germany.

And the one I find most desirable came out bottom of the list! Laughing Maybe some trouble getting that power down effectively. Still sounds like the most hooligan, but perhaps I'm wrong there too?

A new, more powerful Striple doesn't get that high on my list still though, but early days I suppose.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:34 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always a bit 'meh' about the speed triple and didn't think it'd changed too massively - obviously R gets better suspension etc.

It was nice, flighty enough, perky enough and decent enough suspension - but didn't quite have that sparkle for me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I was always a bit 'meh' about the speed triple and didn't think it'd changed too massively - obviously R gets better suspension etc.

It was nice, flighty enough, perky enough and decent enough suspension - but didn't quite have that sparkle for me.

You do mean the Speed and not the Street? If so, you've just kind of confirmed the impression I'd somehow got of them. Not that I've ridden one mind.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:00 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Speed. It was a well composed naked bike which offered up everything you'd want, yet somehow still felt a bit 'lacking' to me.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But which one? I've never really taken to the 1050 models, but I haven't ridden a 2016 model (which was when they finally made some substantive changes), or an R model.

Even so, the Speed doesn't really appeal to me. But I wouldn't write it off as uncompetitive in the performance stakes.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Triple faster than Mt10, and marginally slower than Tuono Factory is pretty impressive. Like the looks too.

Triumph have had one decent cash cow in terms of the Striple, so much so that Yamaha took them on.

Triumph have responded, the bike is prettier, more powerful, lighter and has more grunt. The bottom of the range is still priced in line with the MT09, only now there are more options for upgrading the bits they've cut back on to achieve that price. The RT and RS as well as the R.

They've made it more of what made it so good to begin with. On paper.

That said. The RS looks to be _only_ £1k less than the 2016 Speed. Clearly different bikes, but you'd probably try both because of the similar ish price.

Good luck to them Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4