Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

which bike for new rider ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:54 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: which bike for new rider ? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am basically in the process of doing my full license and will be buying a bike around March/April time hopefully.

I just wanted to get some advice on which bike to go for as I am not very clued up on whats good out there apart from finding Harleys sexy lol.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

My requirements:

1) Should be reliable.

2) Cheap-ish to run and insure.

3) Will mostly be used for city/London commuting so should be easy to manoeuvre through traffic but I might also visit friends say in Glasgow etc occasionally so if its comfortable for long distances that would be awesome. I was also thinking about riding around Europe in the summer possibly.

4) Should have capability for fitted storage boxes so I can use it to transfer stuff from A to B if needed.

5) I am not overly concerned about power as long as its not a complete slug. But do want some thing more powerful than 125cc which is the reason why I am doing my license in the first place.

Also any advice on whether I should go for brand new or second hand would be much appreciated.

My budget is between 4 and 8k depending on my bonus which will come around March hopefully.

Thanks in advance Smile

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT a Harley or any other cruiser.
Remember that there are plans afoot to tax pre 2007 bikes out of existence in London by 2020.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

faffergotgunz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph Rocket 3 if you have a cruiser in you Wink Thats what I'd buy on that budget!

Nothing wrong with a bit of cruising, cleans out the all the cobwebs...

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

faffergotgunz wrote:
Triumph Rocket 3 if you have a cruiser in you Wink Thats what I'd buy on that budget!

Nothing wrong with a bit of cruising, cleans out the all the cobwebs...

Yeah, ideal for cheap London commuting. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: which bike for new rider ? Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
My budget is between 4 and 8k depending on my bonus which will come around March hopefully.

Who said anything about cheap?

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT07 Tracer. Narrow and agile enough for London and a bit of wind protection for Glasgow and Europe. Practical and cheap to run too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:48 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Versys 650 for practicality.

W800 for appearance.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 18:05 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

New R6 & a Rucksack.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:32 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the style of bike you really want. There's no point getting a bike as your first big bike just because it's good for you. Get the style of bike you really, really want and you see yourself settling on in the long-term future.. You're buying it for you, not for the approval of anyone else, so if you find cruisers 'sexy', as you say, then get one. Perhaps a slightly smaller and slightly more Japanese one (e.g. Intruder, Shadow). Japanese because, after all, whichever bike you get, you want it to work. You don't want it to be out of use or to constantly need attention. Smaller, because if you have to pick it up, better to do it after almost dropping it than after actually dropping it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:37 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: which bike for new rider ? Reply with quote

155mph wrote:
Who said anything about cheap?

biker420 wrote:
Cheap-ish to run and insure.

mpg in the 30s. I'm sure you could do worse, but you'd really have to go out of your way.

I'd say £4K is too much for London commuting. You want the oldest, hackiest bike in the bay. You shouldn't have to avoid having nice things, but... London.

That narrows it down to... just about anything.

What do you like and dislike about your current A training bike?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 'used for city/London commuting so should be easy to manoeuvre through traffic', that kind of cuts out a cruiser.
But if you really like cruisers then that's your choice and some of us (not many admittedly) won't immediately think you're a gay poser for riding one... but you should know they're ridiculously slow and heavy...

A real 'heavy traffic' commuter bike would be a small'ish bike and won't really be suitable for long distances so you're looking for a compromise bike really.

Your budget is very large for a 1st big bike.
IMO you shouldn't spend more than 2.5k for your 1st as you cannot really know what qualities are really important to you until you've had one a while.
Your 1st big bike is still a learning tool. You'll stand a fair chance of dropping it (foot slips on gravel at traffic lights/ gravel car park / just moving the bike around the garage) so you'll be more annoyed damaging a £5k bike than a 2.5k bike.
Plus you will start to check out other bikes enviously for the qualities you hadn't appreciate before you'd been riding for 6 months+ etc.
Buy cheap and review in 6-12 months what you really want from a big bike.

As has been mentioned, Congestion Charge rules will change in the future, but it's only relevant if you plan to keep your bike a long time or if you can't lose money when you sell (because everyone else is looking for a compliant bike).

As for which bike, are you comfortable with a sports bike (I'm not and I find the visibility limited)?
Are you tall? A Super-Moto is a good commuter bike but they don't make them for small people, plus they're crap for long distances.
Dual-Sport/Enduro are usually great for commuting but they can be a bit heavy and their weight is quite high, so usually not so easy to manhandle in heavy traffic.
Naked bikes also tend to be great for traffic but no weather protection...

No matter what anyone recommends, you've loads of time and you need to use that by visiting Bike showrooms and sitting on different style bikes for a while to see which style is most comfortable for you. Then when you've defined the style a bit more, peoples recommendations can carry a bit more weight..

Last edited by Alpineandy on 18:39 - 23 Dec 2016; edited 2 times in total

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:16 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ER6n? For example....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610138737046

1 owner, full history. Economical, relatively cheap to insure and naked so less damage when you drop it.

*edit* just noticed the bit about finding Harleys sexy. Not sure an ER6n will appeal then!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:43 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Vulcan S.

It's an ER6 that's been crashed into the Blue Oyster Bar. But they can't have ruined it that much.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's an ER6 that's been crashed into the Blue Oyster Bar.

With OP's budget at 4 and 8k the world is pretty much his oyster. That kind of money buy you pretty much anything.

Buy what you want. You will be riding it.

Cheap to insure pretty much depends on your personal circumstances. The more desirable the bike, i.e R1200, S1000, Triples, R1, R6, etc. the more to insure. Many less desirable but just as much fun bikes to be had.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better off building up your NCB on a cheap(ish) bike that's cheap to insure rather than paying through the nose for something that would break your heart (and widen your sphincter) if it goes down in the first couple of years.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a budget like that I don't think anyone can really tell you what is right for you, you can pretty much buy what you want so it all comes down to taste and not the budget.

I would say you go down to your local bike outlet and look around, see what grabs your fancy, sit on it, make revvy noises and then get off and look at the practical stuff that you are going to wish you had bought once you are a few weeks into that commute.

I personally wouldn't spend much over the 4k mark on first bike/gear/insurance as you're almost certainly going to want to change your first bike after a shorter time than you'd imagine. This is because we usually buy what we want and not what we need. It will soon enough become apparent what you will need to make your biking life complete and that may even been a 2nd bike, so with another 4k spare, you can buy that commuter and that weekend blaster or the single bad boy that does it all.

TL:DR
Nobody can tell you what's best for you, it's personal.

Edit: Alpineandy said it all a bit better than me.

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:58 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all the great advice all.

So I am looking at this/similar commuter -> https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612210745032

And I am wondering if you guys think its the right choice-ish given my original criteria?

Cheers

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
So I am looking at this/similar commuter -> https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612210745032

So;
1) Don't buy until you've passed your test (that doesn't stop you looking but call it research until then). Lots of storey on here about people buying bikes before they could use them and then having to spend more money to get then looked at by a mechanic because the bikes have deteriorated between buying and using...
And you never know what will happen on your test, so it could end up being a few months later than your 1st estimate.

2) Why would you spend so much money on a 1st bike?

3) Nice bike which would certainly be a decent commuter bike and be bearable for a long journey occasionally.
Is the riding position comfortable for you?

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:02 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all part of my research. As I mentioned before I dont know much about bikes at all. So by starting this thread I was hoping to get some useful info out of experienced riders.

For e.g. I had not heard the term naked bike before some one mentioned it on here etc.

Thanks,

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
This is all part of my research. As I mentioned before I dont know much about bikes at all. So by starting this thread I was hoping to get some useful info out of experienced riders.

For e.g. I had not heard the term naked bike before some one mentioned it on here etc.

Thanks,

So have you actually sat on any bikes?

Still no comment about why your budget is so large for a 1st big bike.

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:12 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sat on a couple of Hondas(local showroom) but havent ridden one yet. I am hoping to do my DAS in Jan or Feb.

My budget is realistically about 4/5k because I generally dont like changing things so go for good quality initially.

For e.g. I am in same job for last 4 years and have had the same car for about 8 years now Smile

Cheers,

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
I have sat on a couple of Hondas(local showroom) but havent ridden one yet. I am hoping to do my DAS in Jan or Feb.

My budget is realistically about 4/5k because I generally dont like changing things so go for good quality initially.

For e.g. I am in same job for last 4 years and have had the same car for about 8 years now Smile

Cheers,

OK, is it your 1st job?
Your 1st car?
In the unlikely event they are, congratulations and I'm sure your 1st big bike will be perfect. Laughing

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:40 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lols, Its my 2nd job but still my first car Smile

I see what you are saying here about getting used to bikes but basically I am after a safe choice. Obviously if it doesnt work out then I get some thing else but I am hoping I can get some thing for a few years atleast.

Thanks,

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:44 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
I generally dont like changing things so go for good quality initially.

One of the joys of bikes is the variety. A minor difference in posture, weight distribution, power delivery or even exhaust note can result in a radically different riding experience. Buying one bike and sticking with it will mean you'll miss out on so many great experiences, even if it's test riding bikes that you enjoy but decide aren't ideal for daily use.

A CB500F is a do-anything bike. It'll have a fair bit less go than your 600cc+ training bike, but will be practical and fun and will show its heels to most other vehicles. There's no particular reason not to get one.

But the same can be said for so many other bikes. ER6, MT-07, S(F)V650, CBR600F, Bandit, FZ6, Street Triple, and many, many, many more. Until you've ridden a few and experienced the wondrous variety, you'll really just be guessing at what you might like.

Rather than hoping that you pick the perfect bike first time I'd suggest that you plan to chop and change regularly for a while until you find something that you're really happy with. Think more like £1K than £4K, something that you won't mind abusing and throwing down the road, put some miles in, and figure out what you like and don't like about it.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:44 - 29 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
basically I am after a safe choice.

Motorbikes aren't like most cars.
There are cars you'll own and get to hate (I've had a couple) but equally some you may well get to love (I've had quite a few).
However you can also have a car and have very little emotion about it other than familiarity (it's reliable and comfortable but nothing more), and I've had one like that for the last 8 years.
But with bikes there are very very few that fall into that 3rd category. I've one bike that many that haven't owned one would call a boring but reliably 3rd category bike, I really like it.
However I had to buy something different as it's weaknesses made certain journeys unbearable.
You may also be in a position to have multiple bikes but if you can't then it's really unlikely you'll get the right bike 1st time.
If you do then it's likely to be pure luck.

There's odd things that come into it as well. For example that bike may put your hip or knee at an angle where it starts aching and although moving back on the seat may fix that, then you'll find your back aches after an hour or so. The next bike may be almost the same except it puts those joints a couple of degrees different and that problem's fixed. You wouldn't know that it wasn't right from a 20 min ride.
Or maybe the bike's a bit 'snatchy' at exactly the filtering speed your usual journey allows you to ride at and you'll get fed up riding that 5 mph slower than all the other riders, just because the bike doesn't have perfect fuelling.
There's little (or no) logic to these issues but they happen.
Putting all your eggs in one basket without even knowing if it's the right style of basket could bite you in the arse.

As I mentioned in a previous post, you are very likely to drop your first big bike. Almost everyone on here has more than once, although a bit more experience reduces the likelihood. Dropping a bike can mean zero damage or it could need new plastics, indicators, maybe even a new tank. Repairing that hurts your ego much less when it's a cheaper bike and you know the odd scratch isn't out of place.
Really £1.5-2.5k is plenty for your first learning bike after you've gained a licence.

All IMO.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2