Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding in very slow, nearly stopped traffic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

IggyT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:12 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Riding in very slow, nearly stopped traffic Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to biking and use a YBR 125 to commute to and from work.
There is a stretch of road that is often moving extremely slowly, to the point I can't balance with out putting my foot down, but fast enough to only need to stop occasionally, there is no chance to overtake.

I'd like to know how other people deal with this type of traffic?.
Currently I leave my left leg off the peg ready for putting down and get better balance. Then I use my right foot to operate the rear brake to slow the bike and let traffic behind me know I'm braking.
Is only using the rear brake ok, in terms of a test situation, to stop the bike at very slow speeds.

Cheers.
Iggy.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: How slow is slow? Reply with quote

Part of your MOD1 is to ride at walking pace.

IggyT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:23 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is slower than walking pace. It's barely rolling pace.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:26 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Riding in very slow, nearly stopped traffic Reply with quote

IggyT wrote:

I'd like to know how other people deal with this type of traffic?.
Currently I leave my left leg off the peg ready for putting down and get better balance. Then I use my right foot to operate the rear brake to slow the bike and let traffic behind me know I'm braking.
Is only using the rear brake ok, in terms of a test situation, to stop the bike at very slow speeds.

Yes. Just like that but keep your foot on the peg until you actually need to put it down. With more practice, you can do it more and more slowly. It's the main thing people screw up on their test so if you can do it well, MOD 1 should hold no fears for you. If you touch the front brake on the slow riding parts or U-turn, you fail.

If the traffic is very slow and you think you're cooking the clutch, Stop for a bit. Letting a gap form ahead of you isn't a problem.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangling one leg will not improve balance or confidence. With practice you can ride at the same pace as a 90y/o on a zimmer frame. Practice by crawling away from a start as slowly as possible and getting both feet onto the pegs as soon as soon as possible. You should easily have both feet up by the time the wheels have made a quarter of a turn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:33 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uh... go round the traffic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I uh... go round the traffic?

This....I filter past like a boss.

IggyT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:48 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, just wanted to know if I was on the right lines.
I will practice getting my left foot on the peg ASAP.
I would filter normally, which I'm ok with, but this stretch of road is very narrow and in a dip so can't see what's coming.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 17:58 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is I try to go as slow as possible with both feet on the footpegs until either me or my mate puts a foot down first.

It usually ends up with us getting dangerously close to the car in front and the loser killswitching the winner.

We then nod at each other and every other biker within a mile radius, and activate our red powerbands so that we can filter past the cars on the back wheel.

What I'm saying is you just need to practice riding on the biting point and maintaining steady throttle at suitably low RPMs if there's absolutely no way you can filter to the front.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch in and give it some gentle steady revs, the motor will act like a gyroscope keeping your balance (temporarily, can't beat gravity for long). If you clutch in and let the revs drop to idle you'll notice the bike wants to fall (unless you're proper baklaf and can do a track stand, skillz innit blud)

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair I found it more difficult to do on a 125 for some reason but am ok on a big bike mowing at a snails pace.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Riding in very slow, nearly stopped traffic Reply with quote

[quote="stinkwheel". If you touch the front brake on the slow riding parts or U-turn, You'll most likely end up dropping the bike and /or putting your foot down and you fail.[/quote]

I fixed that for you Stinky.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:26 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Riding in very slow, nearly stopped traffic Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

They changed that then?

I was told touch the front in the U-turn and you fail. Was quite some time ago now mind. Always seemed somewhat arbitrary because surely the aim is to complete the exercise in a controlled fashion.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Riding in very slow, nearly stopped traffic Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:

They changed that then?

I was told touch the front in the U-turn and you fail. Was quite some time ago now mind. Always seemed somewhat arbitrary because surely the aim is to complete the exercise in a controlled fashion.

I think Pinky was saying that lots of new riders pull the front too much, lurch, loss of balance or jerkiness causes a foot down instinctively. Which means fail. It's to foot down that's a fail, not the use of the front.

I most definitely used my front in that bit and was encouraged to do so - gently.

Cali747
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Clutch in and give it some gentle steady revs, the motor will act like a gyroscope keeping your balance (temporarily, can't beat gravity for long). If you clutch in and let the revs drop to idle you'll notice the bike wants to fall (unless you're proper baklaf and can do a track stand, skillz innit blud)

Agree with this. When I did my CBT I was wobbling like buggery at slow speed until the guy got me to give it more revs and less clutch. Also.. I was not gripping the bike with my knees and using my arms all tensed up to hold it instead which made things worse. So when I learned to use my knees more and relax the arms and do the revs/clutch thing I felt much more confident at riding very slow without taking the left foot off the peg. Not sure if any of that makes sense Confused

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Riding in very slow, nearly stopped traffic Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

They changed that then?

Does not matter what brake you use, but because the front is so sharp if that frame and bars are not straight you'll probably drop the bike at such a slow speed so we do teach to stay away from it for slow control. But you can use any brake. It is not recommended though. Front brake for when you are doing the faster stuff, but any slow stuff, stay away from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:47 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Riding in very slow, nearly stopped traffic Reply with quote

IggyT wrote:

It's fine, it's what it's there for.

+1 on there being no benefit to trying to creep forwards at a constant pace. Stop, go, repeat. Don't dangle your legs like a pedboi - NEET FEAT!!!!

You'll get to the end of the congestion in exactly the same amount of time, although the White Van Man behind you may believe differently.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the OP. Not much more to add apart from what has been said before, especially by the Borg.

This is basic CBT stuff. You should have learnt this as part of the CBT. Putting it into practice is more forward planning. As you are riding down the road, watch the cars, not just the one in front, but the one 4, 5, 6, 8, whatever in front, Logic dictates that the furthest away car puts his brake lights on the rest will follow suit, so why be a sheep? Roll the throttle off when you see that first car brake, use the slow control, maybe you do not have to stop, maybe you do.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:32 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just stop and then wait until the traffic has moved sufficently (about 10 feet) to be bothered to move again.

It's worked for cars since the traffic jam was invented....

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some serious low speed crawling as part of funeral procession in sheffield last week. Was the slowest kind of slow traffic. It appears the thing to do is make as much noise as possible whilst controlling speed with some back brake and much clutching. Feet only go down if you have an aerostitch onesie and a bmw, at which point they stay down or hovering for the entire ride. I think I was overly reliant on my back brake and got the disk to go a nice colour. (has been checked, is ok)

In less dramatic circumstances, a bit of throttle, slip some clutch and use the back brake to stop, drag it a bit if you can't do it all on the clutch. Don't consider the front brake at walking pace. With practice you can be almost stopped before the left foot comes down.

But why you no filter?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Did some serious low speed crawling as part of funeral procession in sheffield last week. It appears the thing to do is make as much noise as possible

That's how you show you ar the rememberest. Were you the rememberest?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a winter skills course and did some slow riding, and was the bestest out of everyone there. Laughing though distinctly average on everything else.

I ride slow by using back brake and clutch, sometimes I try and balance stationary but I can only manage about 4 seconds, unless I haven't got an audience.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:22 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about visiting your closest industrial estate on a Sunday and practising slow riding, it will cost you nothing but time and a small amount of fuel. People can advise you how it's done but until you build the muscle memory it's going to be difficult.

There is no substitute for practise.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There probably is room to overtake (unless you've got google link of road to prove otherwise) but it depends on what your comfortable with. Watching RJ proves that there's always room and ways to make progress in gridlock non moving traffic but again not everywhere is London so we don't have to go to the extreme most if any of the time.

The real answer to all of this is just practice and time equals you'll get it eventually, there's nothing more or less to it.

I find it more comfortable on my ZR than I ever did on the tiddler because the first gear on my 125 was so short that it really was only to get going for a few, if that, meters to then shift up which mean't I'd have to spend the entire time in 2nd and then shift down at the last moment to stop in 1st because you really couldn't go anywhere in 1st. Well, you could but it required such finesse that it really wasn't worth it and I never quite grasped it. Anyway, practice.

As Borg and others say you could always dead stop and go. Sometimes I'll do that and other-times I'll keep my feet up for as long as I can, just depends what mood I'm in. At slow crawling speeds just let the front end follow the groves in the road and use a combination of the clutch, throttle and rear brake to slow you down. You'll develop a method that will work for you eventually or alternative getting some practice in at a training school helped me in this area to use out on the road on my own, I was doing DAS anyway rather than going to a school for this reason alone but either way no shame in doing so if it helps you.

125cc's are lightweight and like a kids toy to manoeuvre around so I'd just go for any gap and squeeze through although beware the people inside the cars won't hear you coming through, most probably.

You'll get it eventually. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1