Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long distance bike trip planned, no experience

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ambitiousdrea...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:56 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Long distance bike trip planned, no experience Reply with quote

Hey, apologies if this is in the wrong forum,

I have a life goal of driving a motorcycle from Alaska-San Diego, and i'd like to keep the option open to extending this trip down through Central America.

I'm looking to start putting this plan into place, my only problem is I have no motorcycle experience Smile, I do have 2 years of moped experience, whilst i'm aware this likely pales in comparison to the task of riding a motorcycle, I feel it sets me at an advantage to a complete beginner.

In an ideal world, id love to do the trip on a Triumph Bonneville T100, for no other real reason as I love the look of it, it also doesnt appear to be 'too' powerful. I understand that there is a good chance these bikes are not set up for those kind of journeys, or I wont be able to pick one up in Alaska, so if someone could suggest a more suitable bike, or give the go ahead on the Bonneville, it would be appreciated.

Other questions are,

- Assuming I purchase the Bike in Alaska, does anyone have any experience of what paperwork, etc, id have to fill out as a UK citizen?

- Is it possible to drive over the border into Canada/back into USA without much hassle? Ive crossed the border previously in a rental car but it was several years ago and forget the experience.

- Is there any problems with buying/riding a motorcycle with just a UK driving licence?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Long distance bike trip planned, no experience Reply with quote

Ambitiousdream wrote:

- Is there any problems with buying/riding a motorcycle with just a UK driving licence?

Call me cynical but...the lack of a motorcycle license? I doubt gun toting state troopers will smile kindly on your enthusiasm.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:54 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Cali747
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in America or do you presently live in the UK and are planning to go out there specifically to do this trip?

Ambitiousdrea...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:33 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Long distance bike trip planned, no experience Reply with quote

Quote:
Call me cynical but...the lack of a motorcycle license? I doubt gun toting state troopers will smile kindly on your enthusiasm.

Yes, this could be an issue, so just making sure I get everything in order.

Quote:
How old are you?

I'm 26

Quote:
I'm guessing middle aged serial fantasist.

I work remotely so have lived in ~10 countries over the past 5 years, the only aspect of my life that will change with this trip is the fact that im travelling with less luggage and via motorcycle. I guess you could call the trip a 'fantasy' of mine, but a trip much more likely to take place than the assumed middle aged man with responsibilities.

Quote:
Do you live in America or do you presently live in the UK and are planning to go out there specifically to do this trip?

I'd be going specifically for the trip

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Rolling Eyes

https://www.thelostadventure.com/5-things-to-consider-when-renting-a-motorcycle-in-america

Point 5. " Lastly – you MUST be a licensed motorcyclist and provide documentation which proves this. Make sure to bring your license as most bike hire companies will not rent you a motorcycle without proof you’re licensed to ride in your home country. Also, most companies require that the rider is a minimum of 21 years of age."

This is to HIRE a motorcycle in the USA. Purchasing and riding a motorcycle is no different. You must have a full UK motorcycle license to ride in the US. Now that's not to say you couldn't walk into a second hand bike lot and ride off into the sunset, but WHEN the state trooper catches up with you for wobbling around on a 900cc motorcycle you have NO experience on.....you're in deep shit.

Last edited by ADSrox0r on 22:50 - 22 Dec 2016; edited 2 times in total

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you get your full bike licence here and then ask on advrider.com
Plenty of those guys have done that journey.
However if you tell them you don't even have a licence yet then they're unlikely to waste their time telling you how to go about it.

And don't lie to them as a few of us go on there regularly so you'd be found out quickly, then they'll never tell you even when you do have your licence sorted...
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:04 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you register on HUBB's forum.
Lot more info there Wink

www.horizonsunlimited.com

Also worth a read is "Old man on a bike" Simon Gandolfi just to show it can be done, and on a 125 !!

Dunno what sort of bike you will end up with but don't discount small bikes 125-250 as they are cheap and easy to get repaired anywhere.

Last edited by stevew on 23:06 - 22 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:04 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Long distance bike trip planned, no experience Reply with quote

Ambitiousdream wrote:
In an ideal world, id love to do the trip on a Triumph Bonneville T100, for no other real reason as I love the look of it, it also doesnt appear to be 'too' powerful.

An experienced biker or sportsbike rider is free to make that call, but as a beginner, you aren't. I've just looked up its specs. It's more than enough to kill you, or maim you for life. Far more than enough... Supercar acceleration with no protection, like any standard type bike. It would be a good idea to start off with a bit more respect for the machine, until the requisite reactions and habits are well-practised and firmly a part of muscle memory. In other words, it's better to learn to walk before you run. In my enthusiasm, I can get carried away sometimes too. But on serious calls like that, never. I wouldn't take it so lightly! I'm not saying don't make the trip (providing you're legal first, etc.)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloysius Parker wrote:
Ste wrote:
How old are you?

I'm guessing middle aged serial fantasist.

Probably rides an R6.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing a Vespa. Has a beard. Is heavily invested in the Apple 'ecosystem' and owns a growing collection of vinyl.

Ambitiousdrea...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:11 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

Cheers

Quote:
I'd suggest you get your full bike licence here and then ask on advrider.com
Plenty of those guys have done that journey.
However if you tell them you don't even have a licence yet then they're unlikely to waste their time telling you how to go about it.

Cool site, thanks.

Quote:
OK. Your first step is CBT compulsory basic training should cost around 100 ponds.

Second step is a Theory.

Third step is a DAS course.

Thanks, provides some clarity.

Quote:
Lot more info there Wink

Also worth a read is "Old man on a bike" Simon Gandolfi just to show it can be done, and on a 125 !!

Dunno what sort of bike you will end up with but don't discount small bikes 125-250 as they are cheap and easy to get repaired anywhere.

Quote:
An experienced biker or sportsbike rider is free to make that call, but as a beginner, you aren't. I've just looked up its specs. It's more than enough to kill you, or maim you for life. Far more than enough... Supercar acceleration with no protection, like any standard type bike. It would be a good idea to start off with a bit more respect for the machine, until the requisite reactions and habits are well-practised and firmly a part of muscle memory. In other words, it's better to learn to walk before you run. In my enthusiasm, I can get carried away sometimes too. But on serious calls like that, never. I wouldn't take it so lightly! I'm not saying don't make the trip (providing you're legal first, etc.)

Thanks for info(forum,site, and book), and yea its becoming apparent my initial choice of bike was ambitious, especially for the time frame of which I want to start this journey(~7 months time), the trip isn't really about which bike I do it on, and the specs of it are irrelevant to me, id even do it on a vespa(but theres nowhere to store my vinyls Crying or Very sad ) the threads goal was to provide some info into making the optimal plan for the trip, and so far its doing that, thanks.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:25 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambitiousdream wrote:
Quote:
OK. Your first step is CBT compulsory basic training should cost around 100 ponds.

Second step is a Theory.

Third step is a DAS course.

Thanks, provides some clarity.

So step one is to find a bike training school and talk to them.
If you'd mentioned where you were (in your post or on your profile) then someone may even recommend a local place.

And you can do it on a bike smaller than 125 ; https://www.youtube.com/user/c90adventures

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start throwing south American into the mix on the road trip, it's getting into Overland/Adventure riding territory.

I'd say read a few books, or articles in magazines, Overlander for example which you can buy at WH Smiths.

These authors and journos;

Lois Pryce
Paddy Tyson
Sam Manicom
Dan Walsh
Simon Gandolfi

all written about travelling on two wheels in North and or Cental America, don't have to have a big bike, I think Simon mostly used a 150cc, Lois a 225 Serow.

stevew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambitiousdream wrote:

Thanks for info(forum,site, and book), and yea its becoming apparent my initial choice of bike was ambitious, especially for the time frame of which I want to start this journey(~7 months time), the trip isn't really about which bike I do it on, and the specs of it are irrelevant to me, id even do it on a vespa(but theres nowhere to store my vinyls Crying or Very sad ) the threads goal was to provide some info into making the optimal plan for the trip, and so far its doing that, thanks.

Where are you based AD ??

Re, the bike. There will be loads of suggestions here but as you have already said don't get too hung up on it, it really isn't important.
Just keep it really simple and if you are buying in the US a second hand 250 will be cheap and very likely will have hardly been used !!
Also don't get too hung up on the luggage thing either. Stuff like the Giant loop saddle bags (American) will go on just about any bike that has space for a pillion.
https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/great-basin-saddlebag/
There are cheaper versions from companies like 21brothers in Poland too.
Just to give you an idea of what is possible;-

https://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/stevewatkin1/C90/20160414_140212_zpsew8c0qlb.jpg

Wouldn't suggest this is the best way and it's only been for UK/Ireland but 56000 miles later it's still working for me Wink

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevew wrote:
Lot more info there Wink

not forgetting Ed March who's doing it on a Honda C90 - he's on youtube

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:30 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would quite seriously consider a Harley for this trip.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ wot he sez.

You don't want to be in smallsville, backwater USA, when a funny foreign machine that the local mechanics have never seen before breaks down, then they have to order parts from the other side of the world.

Any garage in the US knows what a HD is, and where to get bits, or where the nearest bike shop is (which will definitely know HDs). Plus, if you are doing the US, then do it US style. Not the ideal bikes for long distance rough stuff, but probably what I'd choose for that journey.

Otherwise, I really wouldn't be hung up about a T100 being "too much bike". Yes, they are faster than most cars. But you'll have been riding something similar power-wise to get your full bike license so it really isn't an issue. By the time you've finished the trip you'll have plenty of miles under your belt.

Also, with only 7 months to go, you need to get a full license ASAP, then ideally get a proper bike in this country to get some experience on the road in familiar surroundings and without the stress of needing to be somewhere and carrying full luggage.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I would quite seriously consider a Harley for this trip.

The Alaska to Seattle/Washington part of the journey is quite tough and I get the impression most Muricans use Japanese bikes just because of that section...
And I believe they're much less pro-HD in Canada.

I wouldn't do it on a Triumph or Italian bike either.... Laughing

Last edited by Alpineandy on 18:40 - 23 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
not forgetting Ed March who's doing it on a Honda C90 - he's on youtube

Alpineandy wrote:
And you can do it on a bike smaller than 125 ; https://www.youtube.com/user/c90adventures

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:53 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I would quite seriously consider a Harley

https://i.imgur.com/7CXzClW.jpg

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Long distance bike trip planned, no experience Reply with quote

Ambitiousdream wrote:
Hey, apologies if this is in the wrong forum,

I have a life goal of driving a motorcycle from Alaska-San Diego, and i'd like to keep the option open to extending this trip down through Central America.

I'm looking to start putting this plan into place, my only problem is I have no motorcycle experience Smile, I do have 2 years of moped experience, whilst i'm aware this likely pales in comparison to the task of riding a motorcycle, I feel it sets me at an advantage to a complete beginner.

In an ideal world, id love to do the trip on a Triumph Bonneville T100, for no other real reason as I love the look of it, it also doesnt appear to be 'too' powerful. I understand that there is a good chance these bikes are not set up for those kind of journeys, or I wont be able to pick one up in Alaska, so if someone could suggest a more suitable bike, or give the go ahead on the Bonneville, it would be appreciated.

Other questions are,

- Assuming I purchase the Bike in Alaska, does anyone have any experience of what paperwork, etc, id have to fill out as a UK citizen?

- Is it possible to drive over the border into Canada/back into USA without much hassle? Ive crossed the border previously in a rental car but it was several years ago and forget the experience.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks.

Why not try a bit of 125cc touring before leaping in at the deep end? I watched these a few years ago and they're worth a look if you haven't seen them. It's something you could do without too much aggro and would give you a chance to see if you're into touring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Vz6IgDFmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_G9cgClhDk

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your full licence under your belt first before making any plans (foreign or domestic) as this will unlock so many more options for you.

You have a rough idea though so now you need to pencil in the bits in between. If you are anywhere near London they have the adventure travel show in January which might give you some ideas or options?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2