Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long distance bike trip planned, no experience

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Long distance bike trip planned, no experience Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Why not try a bit of 125cc touring before leaping in at the deep end?

Although it is quite possible for the OP to do some tours on a 125, I'm not sure he could do the 'dream' on L plates, so he'll still need to do a test (rather than just the CBT).
If he decided he wanted something bigger (and for some of those straight endless roads I'd be surprised if he didn't) It'd leave time a bit short for organising if he really wants to hold to his timeline.

Ambitiousdrea...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:37 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

So step one is to find a bike training school and talk to them.
If you'd mentioned where you were (in your post or on your profile) then someone may even recommend a local place.

And you can do it on a bike smaller than 125 ; https://www.youtube.com/user/c90adventures

I'm currently in the UK, but move to Cape Town, South Africa, for 3 months come the 11Jan, I've started the research into finding a school/instructor(?), if anyone could point me in the right direction(just searching google atm), would be awesome.

My only form of transport for 2 years was a Honda Clic whilst in Thailand, whilst id like something with more power(and a bigger fuel tank) for that trip, it does make me feel abit easier about the whole thing knowing that I dont need something 10x as powerful.

Thanks.

Quote:
If you start throwing south American into the mix on the road trip, it's getting into Overland/Adventure riding territory.

I'd say read a few books, or articles in magazines, Overlander for example which you can buy at WH Smiths.

These authors and journos;

Lois Pryce
Paddy Tyson
Sam Manicom
Dan Walsh
Simon Gandolfi

all written about travelling on two wheels in North and or Cental America, don't have to have a big bike, I think Simon mostly used a 150cc, Lois a 225 Serow.

There isnt really a time limit on the journey, or a set finish line, atm the idea would be to reevaluate come San Diego, I will very likely being headed South America direction afterwards, just whether it be on bike or regular travel, all depends on how I'm enjoying the lifestyle.

Cheers for the book recommendations, Just purchased 'Old man on a bike' and will likely work through them all.

Quote:
Stuff like the Giant loop saddle bags (American) will go on just about any bike that has space for a pillion.
https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/great-basin-saddlebag/
There are cheaper versions from companies like 21brothers in Poland too.
Just to give you an idea of what is possible;-

Cheers, i'm slightly worried about keeping things dry at times(mainly laptop), but great to have a link to what appears to be the right equipment for the job.

Quote:
I would quite seriously consider a Harley for this trip.

Quote:

You don't want to be in smallsville, backwater USA, when a funny foreign machine that the local mechanics have never seen before breaks down, then they have to order parts from the other side of the world.

Any garage in the US knows what a HD is, and where to get bits, or where the nearest bike shop is (which will definitely know HDs). Plus, if you are doing the US, then do it US style. Not the ideal bikes for long distance rough stuff, but probably what I'd choose for that journey.

Otherwise, I really wouldn't be hung up about a T100 being "too much bike". Yes, they are faster than most cars. But you'll have been riding something similar power-wise to get your full bike license so it really isn't an issue. By the time you've finished the trip you'll have plenty of miles under your belt.

Also, with only 7 months to go, you need to get a full license ASAP, then ideally get a proper bike in this country to get some experience on the road in familiar surroundings and without the stress of needing to be somewhere and carrying full luggage.

Thanks, thats something I wouldnt have really thought about being a noob, but can see its relevance and will effect my decision process in what bike I eventually decide to settle on for the trip.

Could you give a recommendation of what you would consider the most optimal bike for my situation?

It doesnt necessarily have to be in 7 Months time, I just want the weather to be the best possible, dont particularly want to be riding in ice/snow, and dont want to put off the trip until next year, so thought would be July-ish would be enough time for decent(albeit wet), weather.

Quote:
The Alaska to Seattle/Washington part of the journey is quite tough and I get the impression most Muricans use Japanese bikes just because of that section...
And I believe they're much less pro-HD in Canada.

I wouldn't do it on a Triumph or Italian bike either.... Laughing

Could you give a recommendation?

Quote:

Why not try a bit of 125cc touring before leaping in at the deep end? I watched these a few years ago and they're worth a look if you haven't seen them. It's something you could do without too much aggro and would give you a chance to see if you're into touring.

Im aware the task at hand is an ambitious dream, the videos where another reminder of the dark times that will lie ahead with the trip, im not naive(well maybe alittle) enough to think its going to be plain sailing. Just gotta hope the highs are worth the lows.

Quote:
Get your full licence under your belt first before making any plans (foreign or domestic) as this will unlock so many more options for you.

You have a rough idea though so now you need to pencil in the bits in between. If you are anywhere near London they have the adventure travel show in January which might give you some ideas or options?

Yea Ideally id keep my head down in the UK for a couple of months and get everything for later in the year sorted, but unfortunately ive got work commitments in South Africa Sad, I just hope I can get everything required there.

Quote:
Although it is quite possible for the OP to do some tours on a 125, I'm not sure he could do the 'dream' on L plates, so he'll still need to do a test (rather than just the CBT).
If he decided he wanted something bigger (and for some of those straight endless roads I'd be surprised if he didn't) It'd leave time a bit short for organising if he really wants to hold to his timeline.

How long did it take you guys to get your full license? Or how long do you think it would take someone who can dedicate alot of time learning(more so than someone working 9-5), is 7-8 months really too short a timeframe to put this together?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambitiousdream wrote:
I'm currently in the UK, but move to Cape Town, South Africa, for 3 months come the 11Jan, I've started the research into finding a school/instructor(?), if anyone could point me in the right direction(just searching google atm), would be awesome.

If you mention where you are in the UK then someone may be able to recommend a school...
You may be able to get a Sth African Bike licence (BUT I don't know how transferable it is).

Ambitiousdream wrote:
How long did it take you guys to get your full license? Or how long do you think it would take someone who can dedicate alot of time learning(more so than someone working 9-5), is 7-8 months really too short a timeframe to put this together?

It can be quite short (like a week or two) but you'd be a complete idiot to try a journey like that without getting at least a few months practice in on a big bike.

As for what bike, that'll depend a bit on whether you get the full licence and what's available to buy/rent there.
I'd suggest a Dual-Sport style bike like a BMW GS 650 or 800 (anything bigger gets silly heavy) or a Vstrom 650, Versys 650 or Transalp 700 (if they're available over there).
Although you could go for other styles, again it depends on whether you can ride long distances leaning forward (I can't), what luggage you're planning to take (a small bike weighed down with luggage?) and what timeframe you have for the journey (Can you potter along or will you have high mileage targets?)?

Don't worry too much about what bike until you've got your licence. Plenty of people do their CBT and decide biking isn't for them, so you could plan this around a bike but then decide it would be better done in a car...
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 200 days between these two posts...

Ambitiousdrea...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:18 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, quick update, I managed to get back to the UK and get my full license(with admittedly some struggle).

The trip is still on and hoping now to go Argentina-Alaska, less of a trip and more of a way of life, estimated time will be >1 year.

I'm still somewhat clueless about what bike is best for this, at the moment im looking at a BMW 650GS. I will be living in the Americas for the next 4 months prior to the trip, where I hope to grow more bike savvy(and learn some spanish).

If anyone could give suggestions on how to prepare, websites/youtube channels/links to articles on how to maintain a bike, suggested bikes, or just general advice, it will all be appreciated.

Thanks

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:

I'm guessing middle aged serial fantasist.

Fuck me there's not many people you actually like is there?
Middle aged, people with fantasies, bus wankers, Queers etc etc.

I hope you really love yourself, as you need to like someone somewhere.

Actually there's a name for that isn't there? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah José Mourinho
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambitiousdream wrote:
Hey guys, quick update, I managed to get back to the UK and get my full license(with admittedly some struggle).

Can't help you with the specifics but well done on this bit Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2