Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bolt too tight - Cam belt idler bearing Ducati 900SS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:05 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Bolt too tight - Cam belt idler bearing Ducati 900SS Reply with quote

I'm changing the cam belt roller bearings on my 900ss and one of them is held in with a bolt I can't undo.

The head has 2 parallel flat sides 10mm apart and then a radius on each side connecting them. Sorry no pic at the moment.

I've managed to deform the end of my 10mm spanner trying to undo it and don't know what the head type is called so I can get a socket for it.

Any advice?

I've used penetrating oil.

Edit: found this pic which shows what the socket would need to look like to fit over the bolt head
https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/images/a1.2767.jpg

EDIT: Changed the title so anyone with this problem in the future can find it Thumbs Up

Last edited by BillyJ on 15:40 - 29 Dec 2016; edited 2 times in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:38 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Bolt too tight Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
I'm changing the cam belt roller bearings on my 900ss and one of them is held in with a bolt I can't undo.

The head has 2 parallel flat sides 10mm apart and then a radius on each side connecting them. Sorry no pic at the moment.

I've managed to deform the end of my 10mm spanner trying to undo it and don't know what the head type is called so I can get a socket for it.

Any advice?

Edit: found this pic which shows what the socket would need to look like to fit over the bolt head

That looks like a bolt that locates into a slot. In whcih case, you should be undoing the other end....

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:47 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Bolt too tight Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
BillyJ wrote:

Any advice?

That looks like a bolt that locates into a slot. In whcih case, you should be undoing the other end....

I must not be describing it very well Laughing
Here is a photo
https://s23.postimg.org/co5pfm4ej/IMG_20161224_194424.jpg

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:59 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably get a better pull off a good (Bahco or Irega, nothing else will do) adjustable spanner, a 12" one would be ideal.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

it isnt a opposite thread is it ?

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:24 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Wright wrote:
You'd probably get a better pull off a good (Bahco or Irega, nothing else will do) adjustable spanner, a 12" one would be ideal.

Frame gets in the way so cant easily get anything that long in there...

I did consider that it was reverse thread but both belts move anti clockwise meaning the bearing would move clockwise and therefore would be a standard thread.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an actual tensioner pulley (adjustable) or only a 'damper' roller ?. I f it is a damper unless the bearing inside it is knackered why do you want to remove anyway ?, is it necessary to remove it to swap the cam belt ?.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:59 - 24 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
Is that an actual tensioner pulley (adjustable) or only a 'damper' roller ?. I f it is a damper unless the bearing inside it is knackered why do you want to remove anyway ?, is it necessary to remove it to swap the cam belt ?.

Nope that one doesn't adjust the tension and it does move freely but in my knowledge none of the bearings have been changed for at least 9 years so I wanted to change then all.

sutty86
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:54 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow torch

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
Ed Case wrote:

Nope that one doesn't adjust the tension and it does move freely but in my knowledge none of the bearings have been changed for at least 9 years so I wanted to change then all.

Leave it alone, don't break something that isn't broken !.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:26 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:

Stilson Irwin bolt grip then.

It'll mangle it up, but only on the ends. You should be able to replace it with a spanner on the flats, or worst case swap it out for a bolt that's compatible with Terran technology.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:31 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
BillyJ wrote:

Stilson Irwin bolt grip then.

It'll mangle it up, but only on the ends. You should be able to replace it with a spanner on the flats, or worst case swap it out for a bolt that's compatible with Terran technology.

Never heard of them.
Are these what you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-Expansion/dp/B000QW6K8I

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you google this on the Ducati forums they suggest heat, it isnt a reverse thread so ignore my earlier question, but it was asked on the same forum,
failing the heat a big bar on ya spanner.
hth

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/125736-fixed-tensioner-assembly-belt-roller-bearing-2.html

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:

Never heard of them.
Are these what you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-Expansion/dp/B000QW6K8I

Those are indeed the ones. "Irwin unfuckers" are great and have got me out of loads of bad spots that are frequent when working on old piece of shit bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:52 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some proper Irwin grips, and I'm free tomorrow.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:54 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the Irwin things but yes Rob come round whenever, see you then

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:35 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob came (all over my face), and we (he) got one of them out with a big lever and some grips.

Other one is being too stubborn so may use heat at some point.

Is there a technique to heating bolts for removal?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:51 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
Is there a technique to heating bolts for removal?

Yes, you heat them up with heat.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small gas powered soldering iron that also works as a small blow lamp, ideal for heating just a small area like this.

This type of thing

https://www.raygrahams.com/products/130269-butane-pencil-torch.aspx?pv=50207&gclid=coyh2cs6ktecfuo6gwodv_8cxa

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:39 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irwin unfuckers didn't work, the bearing is in between sizes so the 10mm one is too small and 13mm one slips Evil or Very Mad

Got a mapp torch onto it and it didn't help but I will try a few more times with the torch.

Current plan is to either drill it out or make a tool to undo it.
Have currently drilled out the center to 5mm but my drill bits aren't sharp enough anymore to keep going, I've got the hole as deep as where the thread starts.

Here is the bearing that Robby got out just for reference:
https://s29.postimg.org/ogl8htvir/IMG_20161226_162447.jpg

https://s29.postimg.org/fmuc0q8k3/IMG_20161226_162506.jpg

And here is the tool I've designed which I might try to get made somewhere, got a 3d printed prototype which fits fine so might be calling up metal fabricators in the new year if I still can't get it out Laughing

https://s28.postimg.org/4040q7iwp/bearingtool1.png

https://s28.postimg.org/s54q7x37d/bearingtool2.png

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me the across-flats size and the diameter across the round ends and I'll make you one no bother.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strikes me as a lot of aggravation to do what ?, replace an item that's working OK and replace it with another and knowing Ducati it won't be cheap especially if it brings the thread out of the motor with it when you succeed.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:28 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Give me the across-flats size and the diameter across the round ends and I'll make you one no bother.

Pete you legend!! Karma

Measurements from the bearing are:
Flat edges are 10.00mm apart
Diameter is 12.40mm

So a tool with flat edges about 10.15mm apart and 12.55 diameter would probably be just what it needs.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite being a simple-looking item this isn't a trivial part to make. The reason is the slot is 10mm wide but the radius is 6.2mm, which requires a 12.4mm cutter to achieve. Clearly you can't fit a 12.4mm cutter into a 10mm slot without making the slot also12.4mm.

One way you could make it is to over-run the 10mm cutter past the radius ends until it's cut the appropriate length flats and I could do this (and in fact would, if I had the job in my workshop so I could try something else if it didn't work), but with such short flats you really need the end-support of the slot to give the tool maximum chance of working without deforming the bolt or the tool.

So this is what I'm going to do - cut the slot 10mm wide up to the 12.4 length (blue circles in in the drawing below), then run a 6mm end mill (red circle) around to remove some of the material in the corners, then finish up the tiny left-behind bits with a broach cutter I have already made which is the exact shape of the bolt head.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tool is done.

I made broach cutter from EN8 steel, which is hardenable somewhat by turning the OD to 12.4 and milling flats to make it 10mm wide. This mimics the shape of the bolt head.

Next I took some more EN8 steel and milled the slot in it then cut the corners with a 5mm cutter as per the drawing above.

Hardening the broach cutter is a simple matter of heating it with a gas torch then quickly swirling it around in a bucket of cold water. after that I cleaned up the cutting face on my grinder and ground some relief in the sides to stop it jamming in the hole.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2