Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rear brake pedal sticking down

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:23 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Rear brake pedal sticking down Reply with quote

I tried spraying WD40 around the pivot point and it's still sticking. Do I need to take the brake pedal off the bike and then spray the insides a bit?

Or is it the brake fluid that's the problem? I suspect it is corrosion causing this as my bike has seen better days, as the previous owner apparently kept it outside without a cover for years it seems..

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike and does the pedal have a return spring attached?

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:30 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

yam ybr 125, yes it does.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring is probably stretched.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you push/pull the lever sideways ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:36 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Rear brake pedal sticking down Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
brake fluid [...] ybr 125

Errr... drum brake worked by a rod. I'd (tentatively) suspect the problem to be at the drum end rather than the pedal.

Undo the adjuster nut at the rear of the rod so that there's no tension in the linkage at all (or just take it right off and treat the nut and rod to a good clean up).

https://i.imgur.com/fFgQl5k.png

Then find which end is sticking, either the pedal end, or the actuator arm on the drum and proceed from there.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cam clags up really easily with road shit this time of year. If cleaning the rod does nothing, it's stripdown time.

Sounds bad, but it's piss simple, assuming you can use spanners without smashing your own noggin in.

Let us know, and we'll give you pointers. Investing in a can of Brake/Clutch fluid before stripping it would be a good idea. Makes life a metric fuckton easier when cleaning a drum.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 04:35 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
The cam clags up really easily with road shit this time of year. If cleaning the rod does nothing, it's stripdown time.

Sounds bad, but it's piss simple, assuming you can use spanners without smashing your own noggin in.

Let us know, and we'll give you pointers. Investing in a can of Brake/Clutch fluid before stripping it would be a good idea. Makes life a metric fuckton easier when cleaning a drum.

For a mechanically operated brake??

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

For a mechanically operated brake??

Brake clutch Cleaner. My bad. Had just unstuck my rear drum and topped my master cylinder up when I wrote it, guess what I had on the brain.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do as Rogers says. Remove the adjuster nut, spring and trunnion and see where it's sticking. Most likely the pivot is seized in the drum backplate. Give it a blast of penetrating oil to loosen it up, remove it from the backplate, clean, grease, re-assemble. Check the steel wear pads on the ends of the brake shoes don't have grooves worn in them.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:44 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Brake clutch Cleaner.

One of my top purchases has been 5 litres of isopropyl alcohol for degunking and cleaning. Try not to get it on anything rubber, and wash it off with water if you do.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Brake clutch Cleaner.

One of my top purchases has been 5 litres of isopropyl alcohol for degunking and cleaning. Try not to get it on anything rubber, and wash it off with water if you do.

Not sure if you can buy it as a consumer, but Action Can do a shit-hot Solvent that rips through, well, anything I've tried it on. Years of Road crud, grease off the chain, you name it. Also, the easiest way ever to clean your wheels. Just chuck water over them afterwards, I'm not sure if it affects rubber, but just in case.

https://www.actioncan.com/product/bc-90/

(CT-90 is a great lubricant by the same company, I chuck it on corrosion prone spots.)

I don't work for them etc, etc, but we did replace several other products in work with the action can equivalents. Cheaper *and* better.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:48 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
https://www.actioncan.com/product/bc-90/

~50% petrol
~35% butane
~15% isopropyl alcohol

For those mixing their own moonshine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:38 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be that the brake shoes are at their wear limit and the cam is starting to go over-centre. Especially if a previous owner had tried to eek out the shoes for a bit longer and moved the brake arm round a notch.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 01:17 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It could also be that the brake shoes are at their wear limit and the cam is starting to go over-centre. Especially if a previous owner had tried to eek out the shoes for a bit longer and moved the brake arm round a notch.

or wrapped the cam with a piece of aluminium to get a bit more wear out of the shoes Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1