Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

tablets? updated choices

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: tablets? updated choices Reply with quote

UPDATED

ok, looking at buying a tablet as a late xmas gift for a friend. they have said they would be happy with a cheap chinese ebay jobby (they have a samsung s7 edge anyway)
its really only gonna be used for facebook, forums, ebay etc, in bed, when the s7 is being charged etc
unlikely to use skype etc so cameras not important.

help me choose 1?

budget? around £100

cheers,
GAZ

TL/DR? see my latest reply, with links & everything Cool

Last edited by stirlinggaz on 22:41 - 04 Jan 2017; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your technical questions are a lot more complicated than they need to be, a bit like when I'm talking my dad through something, I tell him what to click on then he starts reading everything on the screen Smile

List both tablets. The kindle fire's a good cheap tablet although it might not be best for the job (around £30 when on sale I think).

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: tablet screen resolutions? Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

so narowed down the options to 2.
1st one lists screen resolution as 1280 x 800 & comes with android 5.1

the other, very slightly cheaper one, lists it as 2560 x 1600 but comes with android version 4.4.2

everything else is pretty similar between the 2, same size screen 10 inch, octa core, memory etc

opinions? if you HAD to choose 1, which 1?
GAZ

you can probably put Android 6 on either of them.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 25 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
apologies for acting like your dad M.C but im probably older than your dad Confused
& i know, its an annoying habit, i know.
using 200 words when a 1 line question would do (i blame it on a civil service career) & i like to know EVERYTHING about something im gonna shell out for, even, actually, especially if its for someone else.

my motto is, "would i be happy with it? if so, then it will do him/her"

but to make things easier here is the 2 models, ignore prices (unless you can get same models for a fair bit cheaper, delivered in next week or so),
its the specs im mainly interested in & of course, the SCREEN RESOLUTION.

Heres the Android 5 with 1280 X 800

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301973997750?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

heres the other, which claims 2560 x 1600 with android 4.4.1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331701942878?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

pick 1. the "best 1".

cheers,
GAZ

ps : im not interested in ordering from china to save a few quid. i'd rather buy from a trusted uk seller, where at least, if somethings not what it claims to be, 100% ebay will side with buyer.
a guaurantee of some sorts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
hi,
apologies for acting like your dad M.C but im probably older than your dad Confused
& i know, its an annoying habit, i know.
using 200 words when a 1 line question would do (i blame it on a civil service career) & i like to know EVERYTHING about something im gonna shell out for, even, actually, especially if its for someone else.

my motto is, "would i be happy with it? if so, then it will do him/her"

but to make things easier here is the 2 models, ignore prices (unless you can get same models for a fair bit cheaper, delivered in next week or so),
its the specs im mainly interested in & of course, the SCREEN RESOLUTION.

Heres the Android 5 with 1280 X 800

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301973997750?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

heres the other, which claims 2560 x 1600 with android 4.4.1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331701942878?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

pick 1. the "best 1".

cheers,
GAZ

ps : im not interested in ordering from china to save a few quid. i'd rather buy from a trusted uk seller, where at least, if somethings not what it claims to be, 100% ebay will side with buyer.
a guaurantee of some sorts.

The second one is the best one. The screen in first one has a picture representation of the screen, not a photo of the actual screen in operation. The second one shows the actual screen working and the picture is reasonable. I would probably advise you to get a vaguely branded tablet, and not just look at specs. A high resolution many core tablet looks good on paper, but can still be virtually unusable in reality. Also resolution doesn't really matter anyway.

Here are some better suggestions

Tesco Connect 8. Is a refurb but will be "like new". £40
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connect-Tablet-8-Intel-Atom-Quad-Core-1GB-RAM-32GB-HDD-Wi-Fi-Windows-10-Black-/401111102728?hash=item5d6415b508:g:LtsAAOSww9VXhOxM

Tesco Connect 8. Is brand new if you like being over charged. £84
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connect-8-Tablet-Intel-Atom-Quad-Core-1GB-RAM-32GB-HDD-Wi-Fi-Windows-10-Black-/291969932832?hash=item43fac39e20:g:QJ4AAOSwImRYTmwS

Tesco Hudl refurb 8". Many colours available. £100
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesco-Hudl-2-Tablet-16GB-Wi-Fi-8-3-Screen-Android-Turquoise-/282293702734?hash=item41ba04104e:g:t-0AAOSwCGVX4Aif

Argos. Lenovo Tab 3 8 Inch 16GB Tablet £90
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5497797

Google Nexus 7 2013 - 16GB £110
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1388381

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 1280 x 800 is the widescreen version of the resolution used by Windows 3.1

Apple claim their tablets have 'retina' displays, which is apparently the most detail the human eye can perceive at 2-3 feet, which is where you'd hold a tablet. This is 2048 x 1536 on their 9.7 inch iPads.

So basically, anything above that you won't notice.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

The second one is the best one. The screen in first one has a picture representation of the screen, not a photo of the actual screen in operation. The second one shows the actual screen working and the picture is reasonable. I would probably advise you to get a vaguely branded tablet, and not just look at specs. A high resolution many core tablet looks good on paper, but can still be virtually unusable in reality. Also resolution doesn't really matter anyway.

Here are some better suggestions

Tesco Connect 8. Is a refurb but will be "like new". £40
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connect-Tablet-8-Intel-Atom-Quad-Core-1GB-RAM-32GB-HDD-Wi-Fi-Windows-10-Black-/401111102728?hash=item5d6415b508:g:LtsAAOSww9VXhOxM

Tesco Connect 8. Is brand new if you like being over charged. £84
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connect-8-Tablet-Intel-Atom-Quad-Core-1GB-RAM-32GB-HDD-Wi-Fi-Windows-10-Black-/291969932832?hash=item43fac39e20:g:QJ4AAOSwImRYTmwS

Tesco Hudl refurb 8". Many colours available. £100
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesco-Hudl-2-Tablet-16GB-Wi-Fi-8-3-Screen-Android-Turquoise-/282293702734?hash=item41ba04104e:g:t-0AAOSwCGVX4Aif

Argos. Lenovo Tab 3 8 Inch 16GB Tablet £90
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5497797

Google Nexus 7 2013 - 16GB £110
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1388381

hi,
looked at your suggestions... & out of the 5 you listed, i dismissed 3 instantly... sorry Karma

the first 2 tesco ones are on windows., yes? she wants android, as she already has a laptop for windows.

the nexus is too small.
she has a samsung s7 edge which is more than big enough (& well specced) for use when commuting etc & like all women (well the ones i know anyway Cool ) when asked if they want 7 inches or 10 inches, she obviously wants the bigger one (even if it doesnt perform quite as well)
& will compromise with the in between size of 8 inches, if she really has to, due to specs, price or whatever.

good shout on the Hudl though, i hadnt even thought about one, i still
regret not buying 1 for myself when they were originally in-store.

& that only leaves the Lenovo.

i did look at the Lenovo, the other day, when i saw the argos advert on tv with the price reduction but i was wondering if its worth holding out for it being reduced any further (or do their voucher thing) since xmas has past
Thinking
even though it isnt the preferred size of 10 inch, the brand name, speccs & the fact its being sold at argos makes it very attractive.
i dont know if their 16 day return thingy applies to tablets & such but in the past argos have been great when i have bought stuff, used it (& abused it) for a couple of days & then decided to get a refund (for whatever reason).

coming to a cheap 10 inch tablet when your used to looking at...stuff.. on a samsung s7 &/or a work laptop, how much of a difference, will she notice, screen wise?
ok, its gonna be bigger than her phone but not as bulky as the laptop, but will the colours look good, or even ok, after using the s7 for the past couple of months.

thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming.

cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't rate Hudl's that highly, I had to replace the charging port twice on my mums one before the tablet finally died. I'd avoid those no name tablets on eBay. Tell her 7 inches is plenty Wink There are some really good deals on 7 inch tablets ATM, it's my preferred size as you can actually hold the thing in one hand and use it.

giggity

Edit: too tired to properly compare specs but this might be good: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4644091

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
spoke to her this morning & she would definitely prefer 10 inch Embarassed

she wants it for facef*ck, youtube etc, for times when she doesnt want to use the expensive fone & cba'd with the quite big & heavy lap top.
like in bed, lounging on the sofa etc.
it likely wont be leaving the house, as she can use her fancy fone on the train/bus etc.
tbh, i'd rather not buy second hand, unless it was boxed etc & what i meant about the hudl, is, when they were in shops a year or 2 ago, i wish i had got 1.
if tesco was to restock them now, at same price & specs as before, it wouldnt be quite so attractive enough to for me to rush out & buy 1 (for myself or for a gift)

M.C : thanks i'll have a look & see if i can do some comparisons.

cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: tablet screen resolutions? Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

you can probably put Android 6 on either of them.

Hi,
tell me how?
is this a complicated process or would a technophobe like me, be able to do it?

cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW it's not always a good idea to run older hardware on newer versions of android/iOS etc.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
FWIW it's not always a good idea to run older hardware on newer versions of android/iOS etc.

hi,
hate to sound even more stupid, but elaborate please?
do you mean i shouldnt try to upgrade to a newer version of android (if this can even be done) on a tablet with older version, therefore older "hardware"?

or, avoid that tablet with the slightly older version of android, because tablet is more modern?
or am i grasping at stuff i know nothing about. cos my head hurts.

remember : knowledge is power.

cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah older hardware often struggles running the latest O/S. I'd definitely check online to see how that particular tablet handles it.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
M.C wrote:

hi,
hate to sound even more stupid, but elaborate please?
do you mean i shouldnt try to upgrade to a newer version of android (if this can even be done) on a tablet with older version, therefore older "hardware"?

or, avoid that tablet with the slightly older version of android, because tablet is more modern?
or am i grasping at stuff i know nothing about. cos my head hurts.

remember : knowledge is power.

cheers,
GAZ

tl;dr upgrading older Android devices to newer versions of the Android OS by software update can make it run slowly. It could be that the hardware just isn't fast enough or that its not well tested on the device, but it does seem to have that effect. Upgrading something Android 4.4.x to Android 5.x or higher is good example of tablet/phone killing.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, on the topic of size. 7 inches is about right for a tablet as it is big enough to fit a decent page of visible text without having to scroll sideways, but still fit in your pocket. 8 inches may be slightly too big. 10 inches makes no sense as tablet as it isn't portable, it's too big for most women to get their hands around *cough* and at that point you might as well just use a 2-in-1 which has a keyboard included.

Above information also valid for penis sizes.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Also, on the topic of size. 7 inches is about right for a tablet as it is big enough to fit a decent page of visible text without having to scroll sideways, but still fit in your pocket. 8 inches may be slightly too big. 10 inches makes no sense as tablet as it isn't portable, it's too big for most women to get their hands around *cough* and at that point you might as well just use a 2-in-1 which has a keyboard included.

Above information also valid for penis sizes.

hi,
thanks for the erm.... info.
however, when it comes to size, remember this is a woman, with womens logic (& theyre usually right, especially when it comes to any sort of measurement Embarassed )

so, she has a s7 & uses it whilst commuting & at home for the usual stuff ; facef*ck, you-tube etc, which is almost too big to fit in any pocket at 5.5 inches.
she also has a laptop, which of course runs on windows. this is used mostly for work as she doesnt like using it on crowded trains, buses etc.
so she NEEDS something to fulfill the gap between the 5.5 inches on the fancy fone & whatever the size of her laptop screen is.
i actually get her logic.
why use a 600 quid MOBILE fone, at home?, when all shes doing is....random stuff. thats where a cheap tablet comes in.

7 inches? her response? "normally 1.5 inches makes all the difference, but not in this instance" her words, not mine.
the tablet is not for taking outside, the fone will continue to fullfill this role (its insured btw)
its for sitting on the sofa, lying in bed etc.
shes had a look on ebay & decided its just got to be 10 inches (or as near as) end of.

so, back to ORIGINAL question : would i/ or her notice any difference watching sh*t on you tube on a tablet with 2560 x 1600 as compared to watching same sh*t at 1280 x 800?

oh, & just to complicate things even f*cking more, shes seen this & likes it "cos its got miracast"

HELP!!!!
out of the 3 tablets i have now listed, which one would be "best"?

remember itsd not gonna be used for playing games or anything technical, just the usual you tube vids, music (on sd card, through earphones) maybe the odd email etc

cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'd avoid those no name tablets on eBay.

Sold out now but as an example: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-mediapad-t1-9-6-16gb-android-tablet-wifi-white-now-only-79-tesco-2577793 (£99 in currys but it seems to be sold out there too).

What's the budget? This might be better: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351883803251?clk_rvr_id=1146166443280&rmvSB=true (I don't think it has Miracast though).

You could just get the one she wants it's probably the safest option =), it's just personally I wouldn't buy an unbranded tablet off a random eBay seller, as you're going to get a better item and after sales support from a proper retailer.

Edit: The Argos site have a couple of lower spec' versions of that Iconia tablet.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

These aren't bad either:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-Z300CX-ZenPad-10-1-Inch-Intel-Atom-8GB-Tablet-From-the-Argos-Shop-on-ebay-/331822454228?hash=item4d4228d5d4:g:JY4AAOSwUEVYC-mr

But only 1280x800 if that's an issue?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:32 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

She will soon find that 10" to hard to hold while laid in bed or sat on the sofa...
Also battery life on that last one is pants... It will spend most of its life either flat or on charge.

I bought a cheap tablet for messing around with at my mothers. 2 months later I then bought a asus transformer, better battery life and a lot easier to use. A much better idea as you have a keyboard. It's surprising how annoying typing on a screen becomes when you are having to do it all the time.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,
thanks for the replies.

MC ; that Huawei you linked, is it worth paying the ton for?
as it seems to be available for £99.99 from currys.

budget is £100

Fizzoid : i will go have a look at the 1 you linked Thumbs Up

cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
She will soon find that 10" to hard to hold while laid in bed or sat on the sofa...
Also battery life on that last one is pants... It will spend most of its life either flat or on charge.

I bought a cheap tablet for messing around with at my mothers. 2 months later I then bought a asus transformer, better battery life and a lot easier to use. A much better idea as you have a keyboard. It's surprising how annoying typing on a screen becomes when you are having to do it all the time.

hi,
she has now "tried" a 10 inch tablet for size & is determined thats what she wants
Brick Wall

battery life is crap on which one, this very last one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301973997750?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1146543307353&rmvSB=true

can you elaborate on how you worked that out?(genuine question btw)

oh, 1 more thing, i have a case for a 10 inch tablet (which i punched in a rage when it slowed down to much for my liking) which has as plug in keyboard (via micro usb)
so she can have that if she gets pi"$"$ed off typing onto the screen.

cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

MC ; that Huawei you linked, is it worth paying the ton for?
as it seems to be available for £99.99 from currys.

It looks in stock until you try to buy one Smile

Quote:
oh, 1 more thing, i have a case for a 10 inch tablet (which i punched in a rage when it slowed down to much for my liking) which has as plug in keyboard (via micro usb)
so she can have that if she gets pi"$"$ed off typing onto the screen.

Well see now you'll need a tablet that supports USB OTG Very Happy

EDIT: problem's you're on the cusp of getting something shit or decent. A Samsung Galaxy Tab E's only a little bit more... just saying =)

Edit 2: might be a bit risky buying off a random (but they have 100% feedback): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-E-/322374577686?hash=item4b0f05ae16:g:AvsAAOSwo4pYZmGs Potato camera so can't double check it's the 9.6"

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

battery life is crap on which one, this very last one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301973997750?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1146543307353&rmvSB=true

can you elaborate on how you worked that out?(genuine question btw)

I didn't work it out......

Quote:
Working Time Up to 3-8 Hours depending on features enabled

They state it in the spec's... Rolling Eyes
It's that UPTO....

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:31 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Really?

Just head on over to xda-devs and have a look.

I have a sgs4 mini running nougat just fine.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:44 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As CaNsA says, XDA et all can update many older devices to newer android versions, which interestingly enough often perform better than earlier versions.

Generally speaking the two most important factors in Android performance is the amount of RAM and plenty of on phone/tablet Flash memory. I'd suggest 2gb RAM and as much onboard flash as you can get.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3