Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
M.C wrote:
FWIW it's not always a good idea to run older hardware on newer versions of android/iOS etc.

Really?

Just head on over to xda-devs and have a look.

I have a sgs4 mini running nougat just fine.

Ask Nexus 7 (2012) owners how they're getting on with Lollipop. Then ask iPhone 4S owners how iOS 9 runs or iPhone 5 owners how it handles iOS 10.

I can only assume manufacturers want to render their devices virtually useless to encourage you to upgrade.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Ask Nexus 7 (2012) owners how they're getting on with Lollipop. Then ask iPhone 4S owners how iOS 9 runs or iPhone 5 owners how it handles iOS 10.

I can only assume manufacturers want to render their devices virtually useless to encourage you to upgrade.

The N7 community is doing very well, they are using Android 7 at the moment.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7

As for the iPhone users.. well... if they are stupid enough to get one in the first place....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
As for the iPhone users.. well... if they are stupid enough to get one in the first place....

Well all my old apple devices are still going strong, the android ones are now paper weights.

The Nexus 7 lollipop issues were well publicised, if an official update turns out to be a complete fail I'm not gonna waste time trying different roms. Instead I went and bought an iPad Thumbs Up Very Happy

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Then ask iPhone 4S owners how iOS 9 runs or iPhone 5 owners how it handles iOS 10.

M.C wrote:
Well all my old apple devices are still going strong, the android ones are now paper weights.

https://i.imgur.com/xc6b5xGl.png

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I upgrade my old iWank devices when everyone tells you they run shit (plus there are features on older versions of iOS I like)?

... and also some of the android devices have totally died.

Last edited by M.C on 19:13 - 31 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Why would I upgrade my old iWank devices when everyone tells you they run shit?

Can we get an Autism rating so it can be applied to this?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you and cansa are both android fanboys and bum chums but you need to start letting him fight his own battles Wink

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I know you and cansa are both android fanboys and bum chums but you need to start letting him fight his own battles Wink

uwot I had apple products b4 u woz born m8.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
battles

The only battle here is the one you are having with yourself.

Give it up, you'll only end up self-harming.

Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Don't blame me for your complete lack of verbal reasoning. Quick its been 5 minutes since you checked Aarons' facebook, he might have posted something...

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Laughing Don't blame me for your complete lack of verbal reasoning. Quick its been 5 minutes since you checked Aarons' facebook, he might have posted something...

How can you expect me to reason with someone who's only argument is "i cant be arsed".

Judging by how much you have been enjoying the Rainpal thread, fear not, for as soon as I see something worth posting by adam aarons I will plonk it straight in there and send you a PM.

If you want some info as to which roms to put on the android devices you are struggling with I will gladly help you, some people do find it most confusing and prefer to just buy a new device.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it got boring a long time ago, but on the subject of android I doubt the OP's friend is going to be downloading roms for their device, and that was the point of this topic before we derailed it (what tablet to buy her).

That's all I'm saying that you'd expect (especially with a Nexus) they would have worked out what runs best, I doubt the average user is going to give it much thought. Most people just update when it's available.

...I'm still procrastinating over upgrading to marshmallow on a phone I got 2 days ago Smile

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

The Nexus 7 lollipop issues were well publicised, if an official update turns out to be a complete fail I'm not gonna waste time trying different roms. Instead I went and bought an iPad Thumbs Up Very Happy

Ipad = £500
Cheap windows tablet: £40

I really would rather have 12 windows tablets than 1 ipad.

M.C wrote:
Why would I upgrade my old iWank devices when everyone tells you they run shit (plus there are features on older versions of iOS I like)?

Nexus 7. Only really the Nexus 7 as far as I'm aware. To be clear though, Android is still better than Apple. Ultimately you can just buy a current Android tablet new now, and then just buy a new one in the future for the price of an ipad or less in total. So money wise the upgrade issue is irrelevant as instead of a software upgrade you can afford a brand new tablet! Though in practice you can upgrade the old Android tablet, and have a new Android tablet, so if you break one, you still have a tablet!

I for example only use cheapo tablet, since I know they will get broken. I've already broken a tesco connect 7 and a Nexus 7, and if I used ipad it would have cost me the best part of £1500 now, but instead it's cost me about £135 including my current 3rd tablet.

Connect 7: £40
Nexus 7: £35
Connect 8: £50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

How can you expect me to reason with someone who's only argument is "i cant be arsed".

Judging by how much you have been enjoying the Rainpal thread, fear not, for as soon as I see something worth posting by adam aarons I will plonk it straight in there and send you a PM.

If you want some info as to which roms to put on the android devices you are struggling with I will gladly help you, some people do find it most confusing and prefer to just buy a new device.

Custom roms are interesting, but ultimately a massive PITA. I've run a few but they usually have some kind of problem with them, nonworking encryption being a common one. Installation can be simple but if there are any issues people can get out of their depth really fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Nexus 7. Only really the Nexus 7 as far as I'm aware. To be clear though, Android is still better than Apple. Ultimately you can just buy a current Android tablet new now, and then just buy a new one in the future for the price of an ipad or less in total. So money wise the upgrade issue is irrelevant as instead of a software upgrade you can afford a brand new tablet! Though in practice you can upgrade the old Android tablet, and have a new Android tablet, so if you break one, you still have a tablet!

I for example only use cheapo tablet, since I know they will get broken. I've already broken a tesco connect 7 and a Nexus 7, and if I used ipad it would have cost me the best part of £1500 now, but instead it's cost me about £135 including my current 3rd tablet.

Connect 7: £40
Nexus 7: £35
Connect 8: £50

Ok so we're off topic here, but my Nexus 7 was £200 (I got it at launch), the iPad was £190 (admittedly not a top of the range model). I've never paid a lot for Apple devices though, I got an iPhone 5 at launch for £20 p/m, and all the other stuff I've had have been refurbs from Apple (which are like new).

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're saying that you can buy stuff which is second hand for cheaper than stuff that is new.

Insightful

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

I really would rather have 12 windows tablets than 1 ipad.

Agreed, I bought a Linx 8 back in 2014 and it's still working well. Only real downside is the 1gb ram limitation. My dad got the 10" version with 2gb and that works well, it has a separate USB/charging port so you can use mouse and charge at same time too.

The ability to just plug into a monitor and have a full function windows system, as well as be able to use normal windows applications is great.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
You're saying that you can buy stuff which is second hand for cheaper than stuff that is new.

Insightful

You might want to try re-reading what I wrote? Rolling Eyes

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have one nvidia k1 shield than an eye pad.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:40 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: update? Reply with quote

Hi all,
ehmm...as much as enjoyed reading all the above posts, I'm nowhere near ordering a tablet, so, to make it easier (before i rush out & panic buy) consider all of the tablets I have mentioned before, then also consider this
https://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-iconia-one-10-b3-a30-white/229-8034.prd?icid=tablet_trade_slot
Which would best? (specced, speed & SCREEN RESOLUTION - yes I still want to know what screen is gonna be best for colour & detail!)

Or just give me opinions (& links of course Confused ) on best £100 10 inch tablet?

cheers,
GAZ Brick Wall

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,
ok, still not ordered a tablet, so.....gonna just help me pick one? please?
heres the final list, so i have made it easier for you guys Thumbs Up

this https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5988907

or this https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5315666

this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301973997750?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1148885131668&rmvSB=true

or this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331701942878?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1148882135502&rmvSB=true

i need to order SOMETHING soon, very soon, so help please?

cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know my opinion on the eBay specials. The Acer and Lenovo look very similar, note with the Lenovo Argos have listed the description for the Tab 2 Brick Wall

Oh wow Argos have a tablet trade in scheme going, wonder how much I'd get for my Nexus 7...

£3.56 - Argos Voucher Shocked

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
You know my opinion on the eBay specials. The Acer and Lenovo look very similar, note with the Lenovo Argos have listed the description for the Tab 2 Brick Wall

Oh wow Argos have a tablet trade in scheme going, wonder how much I'd get for my Nexus 7...

£3.56 - Argos Voucher Shocked

Hi,
Yes I'm aware if your "opinions" on the "eBay specials" but I can't remember if you backed up those opinions with any known facts or personal experience, but I will re-read your replies to make sure Thumbs Up

Lenovos from Argos : is the Tab A10-30 any better than the Tab 2 A10-30?
Ignoring Argos's descriptions, are they any different?
& seeing as there the same price, which 1 would be best value, spec wise?

cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
You could just get the one she wants it's probably the safest option =), it's just personally I wouldn't buy an unbranded tablet off a random eBay seller, as you're going to get a better item and after sales support from a proper retailer.

The Lenovo doesn't have 2GB RAM as that description claims (I think the specs are correct however). From what I can gather glancing over both, the main difference's the Lenovo can take a 32GB memory card over the Acer's 16GB, and the Acer comes with Marshmellow (Android 6.0) rather than 5.1 with the Lenovo.

Before we get into the performance/update argument again I'd check reviews on both tablets Smile

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
M.C wrote:
You could just get the one she wants it's probably the safest option =), it's just personally I wouldn't buy an unbranded tablet off a random eBay seller, as you're going to get a better item and after sales support from a proper retailer.

The Lenovo doesn't have 2GB RAM as that description claims (I think the specs are correct however). From what I can gather glancing over both, the main difference's the Lenovo can take a 32GB memory card over the Acer's 16GB, and the Acer comes with Marshmellow (Android 6.0) rather than 5.1 with the Lenovo.

Before we get into the performance/update argument again I'd check reviews on both tablets Smile

Hi,
Thanks for the info, I'll go read some (more) reviews.

Original question (simplified) still stands :
is it worth going "down/back" to an older version of Android (in this case 4.4.1) to get a "better/higher" screen resolution (in this case 2560 x 1600)?
Or just go for the usual 1280 x 800 & Android version 5 or 6?

cheers,
GAZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3