Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ideal HDD temp? - UPDATE: All done, new HDD is operational.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:32 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
5400rpm = poverty spec.

If you don't need high seek speed then they're better on reliability. I use them for media centre storage as they offer the highest MTBF. Speed wise 140 to 190MB/s is more than good enough for 4k video.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a stupid question, but didn't the technology advanced a bit? I mean, the hard drive that died/is about to, was manufacturer maybe 7-8 years ago. Thinking

The dieing WD640 seems to be 7200 rpm, 32MB cache drive, SATA II. So even a ''slower'' 5400 rpm SATA III drive should be quite quicker than that. Or am I getting this all wrong?

There are no 2TB 7200 rpm drives anyway, or at least none in my local PC HW store. 2TB being only slightly more expensive than the faster 1TB alternative.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:59 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Might be a stupid question, but didn't the technology advanced a bit? I mean, the hard drive that died/is about to, was manufacturer maybe 7-8 years ago. Thinking

The dieing WD640 seems to be 7200 rpm, 32MB cache drive, SATA II. So even a ''slower'' 5400 rpm SATA III drive should be quite quicker than that. Or am I getting this all wrong?

There are no 2TB 7200 rpm drives anyway, or at least none in my local PC HW store. 2TB being only slightly more expensive than the faster 1TB alternative.

Seek speed, how fast random access is, is basically RPM limited on a rotational drive. Sequential read/write speed is a combination of RPM & data density. So today we have 5400rpm drives which can read/write 50% faster than 6 years ago sequentially but still are painfully slow for random writes.

However even the highest RPM drives on the market can't hold a candle to SSDs for random access, we're talking orders of magnitude faster. So for smallish data volumes 7200 vs 5400 rpm is a non-event, throw in cloud storage & bigger 7200rpm desktop drives are slowly fading away.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm gonna go for the 1TB 7200rpm version. My car has got empty fuel tank, so I'm gonna pour the price difference of the 2TB drive into my tank.

I would go all SSD, but a 250GB SSD is about the same money as a 2TB HDD and it would be a waste of money to buy a huge SSD just to make a storage of it. I already run a SSD as the system drive C:\. Plus, I instal the modern games on it as well, as the loading times sure get shorter when the data is being read of an SSD instead of HDD. IF I was to buy a bigger SSD, I'd rather put the money into a higher range GFX card instead.

Thank you for your input, lads.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:53 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ

Any particular size you need ?
I have plenty of spare drives mostly being WD Blue 1TB's which have been taken out of new workstations and replaced with SSDs.

I think there are a few older 2TB units in the pile as well.

they just sit there gathering dust.

Happy to get a few in the post to you to appease the Karama fairy.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice of you to offer, but I don't think it's worth the shipping cost to post such a ''cheap'' item from the UK to the Land of beer. I mean, a brand new blue WD 1TB drive is about £45 here and all it takes for me to get it, is to walk to the local Computer HW store.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:07 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah assumed you was local....

Cheers
C.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you anyway,

Maybe some other BCF members are in a need of a hard drive. I bet you'll find a plenty of people that will buy those drives of you. Just the other day, I sold a 9-10 years old GeForce 8800 GT to a retro computer builder for about £30 and some other equally old bits of computer HW, also for a nice sum of money. For some reason, DDRII 800MHz 2GB RAM modules seem to keep their value well. When I say a nice sum of money, I mean better than throwing it into the bin.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 22 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

I got the blue 1TB WD, it actually makes less noise, than the old black WD that I replaced. I even found a better, more vented, place for the drive in the case, so it now runs significantly cooler. Speed wise, it's pretty much the same. I can tell the access time is better, but read/write the same. Formating took longer, but that's due to greater capacity (the old drive was 640GB drive). SATA III vs SATA II? Well, not much of a difference. Yes, I did buy a SATA III cable with the clips.

The old drive would work in my i5, as I wanted to move some data. It did however worked in my q6600 which is odd. As you might read already in the ''what grinds my gears today'' thread, the drive seems to be working alright, if I supply power to it from a different PSU. YET, all the SATA 12V branches of my i5 PSU work just fine, they all give 12V and work with the SSD/HDD that is already mounted in my i5 computer. Could it be the PSU can't supply enough power for 3 drives at the same time and why would that be? The old HDD was in the i5 about 3 weeks with no problem, it was only recently it failed me at several occasions, completely random failures.

Anyway, the new 1TB drive works alright, it runs very cool, I am yet again surprised how efficient modern HW actually is. I did put it elsewhere, to a better ventilated place, but still. The drive idles at 26°C and the hottest it ever got was about 31°C. That was copying about 500GB of data onto it, which took several hours, at 87Mbps the old drive alowed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2