Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBR 125 weight modifications,performance enhancers etc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:23 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Definitely me in that pic. Even the london tube ticket on 13 jan when I went to view

'Definitely'? Not exactly compelling, is it? You get your gear on, same as in the photo, and take a snap of yourself reading this web page. That should shut some people up.
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

andyscooter wrote:

think I can spot the problem here

are you really that daft to no realise this yourself Laughing

also don't try riding as quick at night as in the day you cant see obstacles as easily

What's the problem...? By maxing out I didn't mean 80's... I meant just hitting single carriageway speeds on bendy roads- was going high 40's to low 50's on 60 roads- I was just too nervous and I was slowing all the cars down which was making me more nervous- well what speed would you do?

P.S am I allowed full beam in these situations? I think I would have been much more comfortable with full beam- it's only one light which is on so it cant dazzle like a car can it?

its a 60 LIMIT not a target

i would probebly would have rode it at 50 or 60 but i had a bike with good lights anyway so could see more

i also have 20 years riding experience to fall back on

so if you felt comfatable doing 40mph do it, as long as you get to where you are going its fine, dont feel you have to be as good as everyone else yet you will get better over time

next time you ride that road at night you you do it at 45mph and the time after that 50mph

and if you are the first vehicle you can use main beam on unlit roads as long as you knock them down to headlight when a car comes the other way
saying one light wont dazzle much is again daft

go and stare at a torch for a few seconds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:59 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I still cant find the enthusiasm to care...
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=98921
What the eff IS that?
No.. first rule... If I have to ask, I probably didn't want to know... and I am almost certain not to be enlightened by the answer......
WHY am I even LOOKING at that?
I think the conclusion is shear morbid curiosity, and dallying.
We need potatoes, to go with the joint of pork in the kitchen... but it's raining outside....
Hmmmm.. wonder if I should order Pizza Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:15 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
What the eff IS that?

The sticky-out thing on the left?

https://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

Although it's supposed to be locked off with a specific Squire lock - it looks OP has secured it by tying a loose knot in the chain. Eh?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
What the eff IS that?

The sticky-out thing on the left?

https://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

Although it's supposed to be locked off with a specific Squire lock - it looks OP has secured it by tying a loose knot in the chain. Eh?

Plus you could hacksaw through the railing in no time. Just saying Whistle
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:55 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
No.. first rule... If I have to ask, I probably didn't want to know... and I am almost certain not to be enlightened by the answer......

I suspect you missed the first rule.
Y-e-r-s.. I have kids your age... rhetoric IS wasted on you, isn't it? (That's rhetorical BTW))
Arcane1729 wrote:
some people just live and breathe riding and to some it's their whole world yet this shit still happens.

Y-e-r-s... WE do.... and some of us twice your life time or more of it..... and it still does....
Arcane1729 wrote:
EDIT: why can't you find the enthusiasm anyway- cos it's just a 125? You're breaking my heart man Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

See 'The first rule'... do you want a list? would it really 'enlighten' you? would you derive ANY meaning from my explanation, what so ever?

No, It is NOT because it is a 125.

I rather 'like' 125's... I actually still own more than one or two of them! I appreciate them for qualities, I strongly suspect would be utterly incomprehensible to you.

This post is rather like watching, not quite a train wreck... but a driver bump into the buffers a bit hard.... there's a certain degree of inevitability, to the mundanity, but morbid fascination keeps drawing us back, in the hope of witnessing the train wreck we know isn't actually going to happen.... but might, or at least the driver fall drunkenly out of the door!!

If that is any solace, this is still a little more enthusiasm than I can muster to solve the Sunday-dinner potato problem.... though a count of remaining cigarettes might boost that a little in the next twenty minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To cut op some slack, as a young'un he's at least tried to forward plan a bit on the security front. I'd suggest a rethink after reading up on here, also please tell me your not looping through the removable pillion pegs!

Also recommend you grow a thicker skin if you're going to survive on here.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
To cut op some slack, as a young'un he's at least tried to forward plan a bit on the security front. I'd suggest a rethink after reading up on here, also please tell me your not looping through the removable pillion pegs!

Also recommend you grow a thicker skin if you're going to survive on here.

Errm... I don't think they're removable on the CBR 125...? They look pretty well fixed in the frame... I will send pics when my phone is charged tomorrow

Fixed until you unbolt them fixed? Wink
On any bike, they are removable - they get damaged and are easily replaced.

Chain through frame, to something more solid than a scaffolding bar is best practice. Lock should be designed to work with chain. 16mm + case hardened is acceptable, 19mm or more is overkill and unlikely to go through the frame. Hope you never learn the hard way.

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:12 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on sorting your gear, most people (our age) overlook that (as did I for some time, paid the price).

Could I suggest leaving the bike as it is? I've owned one and I'm sure it's near damn impossible to make that thing anywhere near as exciting as a big bike, spend your time on it and save up for your license, then get a big bike, play with that.

As for your lock question, I've got no issues locking to my wheel, because I think if a thief is dedicated enough to take out your wheel, pretty sure he'll more than happily rip through a chain too.

Anyway, I'd suggest a long chain (1.5m+) so that you have options when parking in unfamiliar places, so you can reach lampposts from the road etc. your current one seems a bit short from what you're saying.

Hope this helps Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

oh ffs you're right- Omg- why must you be right?... I just want to cry... I can't fit the chain through anything other than the pegs. It's too fat and it's not long enough Sad I need to figure something out fast. ffs.
Swing arm? Any ideas?

Rated funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicycle rack is basically a pipe, a pipe cutter or hacksaw would be through in a couple of mins max, one cut to the non hardened steel, bend it down and the chain is free.

Lamppost and through the back wheel in your situation is better until you rethink.

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:47 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
rapt0r1997 wrote:
Well done on sorting your gear, most people (our age) overlook that (as did I for some time, paid the price).

Could I suggest leaving the bike as it is? I've owned one and I'm sure it's near damn impossible to make that thing anywhere near as exciting as a big bike, spend your time on it and save up for your license, then get a big bike, play with that.

As for your lock question, I've got no issues locking to my wheel, because I think if a thief is dedicated enough to take out your wheel, pretty sure he'll more than happily rip through a chain too.

Anyway, I'd suggest a long chain (1.5m+) so that you have options when parking in unfamiliar places, so you can reach lampposts from the road etc. your current one seems a bit short from what you're saying.

Hope this helps Smile

I've already got the money for both of those assuming the current bike sells for even two grand- it's experience that's lacking- the lock system is lesson learned for next bike but it'll do for now

3 months on a CBR was more than enough for me, the second I jumped onto a 33bhp CB500 (for my test) I felt more than at home, and the second I jumped onto my er6 (current bike) I felt fantastic, my first ride was all the way home for around 40/50 miles I believe, in fact life becomes easier, you're on a heavier and more planted machine.

Goodluck with your tests and big bike mate Smile Hope it all goes well

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r1997 wrote:

Taking the front wheel off is quicker and easier than cutting through a big chain. However I can't see a thief bothering with that for a ER6 or a CBR125. Razz

If you're going to just put the chain through a wheel then put it through the back wheel because it's more hassle to remove the back wheel than it is the front. Thumbs Up

The best security is to park next to a more desirable bike that's got worse security than you.

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:26 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
rapt0r1997 wrote:

Taking the front wheel off is quicker and easier than cutting through a big chain. However I can't see a thief bothering with that for a ER6 or a CBR125. Razz

If you're going to just put the chain through a wheel then put it through the back wheel because it's more hassle to remove the back wheel than it is the front. Thumbs Up

The best security is to park next to a more desirable bike that's got worse security than you.

Yes, thankfully only I see my ER6 as the prettiest and most desirable thing in the world, and not the thieves Smile .

I see why thieves with a Van would do it, but surely the ones with peds can no longer roll it away?! They're one of my bigger concerns at the moment to be honest, since I mainly park away at Central London places, and I reckon it's inconvenient for Van thieves to go there, but Peds are always around, I see them running around more often than not.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:41 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good chance that bikes pushed away by kids on peds will be loaded into a van somewhere nearby, it all just come down to how much they want your bike.

Jumping you once you've unlocked your bike could be more straight forward than removing the front wheel and manhandling the bike into the back of a van but who knows how they decide which bike to target. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:02 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

*cough* Enfield *cough*

Ste wrote:

Tru dat.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Bicycle rack is basically a pipe, a pipe cutter or hacksaw would be through in a couple of mins max, one cut to the non hardened steel, bend it down and the chain is free.

There have been a few cases where thieves have sawn through bicycle stands when they are empty (who is going to take any notice of someone in high viz working on an empty stand?) then putting them back together loosely (taped, the cut hidden, or even scaff clamps) so that when a nice bike is left there they can take it without any noise or effort. Put the stand back together after sliding the lock off, and it's ready for the next victim. I've also seen stands that aren't concreted in properly, or bolted to the floor (so a ratchet will have it loose in moments).

Obviously easier for pushbikes, where many people will just loop the lock through the frame and the sheffield stand, but a good warning to check that the thing you are locking to really is solid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35669181
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/warning-thieves-sawing-bike-stands-bristol-trick/story-27976293-detail/story.html

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local bike stand had the main pipe bolted over a smaller diameter pipe

The council wanted it easy to remove so they coyuld stoip people abandoning locks on it

Luckily bike theft isnt a big thing round here
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7