BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tappet checking on the Lexmoto XTRS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:04 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh kinda hard to tell with the noise my lid makes... but i think it starts off with just reving down and then it kills out...

BTW it killed out twice in the same short journey... The first time I got it started back up pretty quick but it struggled to hold revs then killed out again...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:28 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Can tappets tighten on there own that quickly?

They can if you don't do the locknuts up tight.

I wouldn't assume it's that though. Could be fuelling, electrics, overheating (leading to fuelling or electrical problems), pretty much anything.

Sorry, I know that's not much help, but I've not had one of those engines and don't know their foibles. I'd just suggest not getting too focussed on one possible cause.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:31 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, annoying...

Well I certainly wouldnt trust it going down the a47 for 20 miles then...

i guess bring on direct access and new bike and flog this onto some poor unsuspecting sod :p

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:26 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other poor unsuspecting sod... Wink

I didn't want to be too Buzz Killington prematurely, but the XTR variants seem to have more than their fair share of problems and I've seen a lot of really neglected ones come up on Gumtree.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:42 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Some other poor unsuspecting sod... Wink

I didn't want to be too Buzz Killington prematurely, but the XTR variants seem to have more than their fair share of problems and I've seen a lot of really neglected ones come up on Gumtree.

Heh yeah I should have said other poor sod :p

For the most part this bikes in pretty good nick... but clearly there is something not right.

Heck it could even be the ECU...

Actually thats a thought, the ECU controls the timing for the sparkplug, adjusts it on a curve from the throttle... if thats damaged in anyway, the timings could get out of sync on higher revs... or are the spark timings tied in mechanically?

I could be talking utter tosh there btw :p

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:23 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Tbh kinda hard to tell with the noise my lid makes... but i think it starts off with just reving down and then it kills out...

I'm confused. I meant, is the bike producing a spark the moment after the plopplopplopplopplopplop... death incident, ie you just stopped and are now pressing the starter button but it isn't starting. Is it sparking then? You can only tell by either:
1. Removing spark plug or using another spare plug in the end of the HT lead and resting it on the engine. Press starter. Is there a _good_ spark?
2. Removing the plug cap and putting your finger in the end of the plug cap to get a tasty shock. Press starter. Does it feel nice or not?

If it is sparking then you can probably rule it out and go chasing the fuel from tank to inlet. Using a spare plug would be quicker than taking the old one out so you get a pretty instant check. You may have understood this already, but your comment has confused me Cool

And I reckon ECU's aren't death immune but they tend to either work fully or not work at all.. but there's always a chance Very Happy

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:27 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right, umm i think it was sparking yeah...

Just wouldnt start for a minute normaly after it died...

But glad to know a ECU is either dead or not dead... no middle ground Very Happy

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:38 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh some updates on whats going on...

I went to a bike mechanics today, dad was getting my brothers bike rebalanced... I picked the mechanics brains about what could be wrong with my bike.

He thought right away that the stator coil pickup could be over heating.

As the engine dies about the same place while running the throttle high for the same amount of time.

And that if possible I should replace the stator coil, if i can replace that (5 quid) or the whole stator 30 quid...

Though he mentioned it could also be the float inside the carb... This is one thing i didnt know about so going to be doing some research.

Any thoughts?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:55 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's just saying that it could be either electrics or fuel, i.e. he has absolutely no idea.

The symptoms are vague, there's no obvious cause. What I would urge you to do is to try and diagnose it first rather than throwing any money at it, since you'll never see a penny of it back. I know it's a sod when you can't predict it's going to happen, but you could leave the side fairings off to give better access.

Free check: fuel starvation. The instant it dies, open the drain screw on the carb (aiming the drain hose away from the exhaust!) and see if it's dry. It looks like you have a vacuum tap, so it shouldn't keep gushing, but some fuel should come out.

Electrics are trickier, since it's not on/off problem. When it does, see if the coil is approximately ouchy-hot to touch - that's a bad sign. But unless you have a multimeter to hand and know what the resistances on the coil are meant to be it'll be hard to definitively diagnose.

Sorry, I know this isn't much help, but we could propose loads of things, all of which are guesses without being on-scene when it acts up. Sad

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:14 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason he thought the stator coil pickup might be over heating is because it seems to die around the same spot on the road... IE been running at high rev for around the same amount of time when I go into town form here...

Thats about the only predictability going.

Ive also just had a look at where the stator and the pickup is housed. and Sad im not sure I could fix that. Given last time I tried to get in there when i was doing the tappets to get access to teh fly wheel. I couldnt take the side of the engine off... Took all the bolts out but the housing over the stator and flywheel just wouldnt move.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:49 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just guessing. The same logic could apply to the coil overheating, or the float bowl running dry, or the hedgehog hibernating in your airbox rolling over and blocking the flow.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:52 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god not hedgehogs... poor thing... D:

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:55 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, they're all pricks.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:56 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel i must inform you.... I just died a little inside reading your post :p

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:15 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well aye don't panic just yet, you've got to just use a bit of logical reasoning when it plays up to narrow it down, as said, one thing at a time. Do the tests above on the carb and ignition coil but also I'm not convinced you can tell it's sparking by pressing the starter and simply 'sensing' that it's sparking - how did you know/think it was sparking? You want to see sparks galore coming off the electrode, don't just imagine it Very Happy

Bike needs air, fuel and a spark. Just whittle it down to find out which one is lacking.

I'm kind of leaning towards fuel starvation just because if it starts up after just a minute of cooling then the stator or ignition coil probably hasn't cooled loads in order to magically start working again, but that depends how marginal the fault is if indeed it is one of them, maybe it is enough. Clear as owt, sorry, sometimes coils are just 'iffy' but at least sparking = ruled that out.

This could be a betting sport.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:18 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place your bets, but remember the house always wins. And the house needs at least a grand to get the A lcense out the way. And start putting money towards a real bike. :p
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2