BCF: Bike Chat Forums

240 Miles for a cheap 2016 bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:32 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

£500 is the right price to buy that bike, but it's also the right price for someone else to buy that bike from you Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your gamble fella. Not one I'd take but I ain't you.

Worst case you're a couple of hundred quid in the can and a day's roadtrip adventure down. Not the worst end result if you can afford to drop that cash.

However, the reason I'd not take the gamble is I'm still struggling to see that bike being worth anything near a profit making amount once you get it back, let alone stand you in over a grand up on outlay. That I just can't see when they're not selling for 1500 new pre registered.

Also, sob story sounds very sobbish and not very believable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
I think the reason it's cheap is because the guy doesn't know much english, his description is poor and I had to speak to his brother just to confirm the dates. The owner of the bike is a family guy and he's going on holiday in January and has nowhere to leave it parked so thats why he's selling it and on top of that he wants to get his driving license. He /seems/ like a nice guy and I think it will go all good tbh. I've found a cheap van hire only £43.50 including DVLA charges and £100 (refundable) deposit. So not as expensive as i thought of £150! If it's not good. We leave, simple as. Of course I'll give it a test run and all that. Its for sale for £500.

You seem determined to get it, so go and do it.

Make sure you keep us entertained updated with your progress.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:31 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This still doesn't convince you guys?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy it if it was local, that's about it.
The biggest problem for me is the cost of saying no thanks.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:

First eBay result:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXMOTO-VENOM-125-GREEN-NEW-FROM-UK-STOCK-/311699652162?hash=item4892bf3e42:g:Ws8AAOSwdIFX0~bm

£1299 for a brand spanking new one. Admittedly £100 OTR charges on top, but still. Why on earth would you buy one for £1200 second hand??

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Dimerz wrote:

First eBay result: ebay - LEXMOTO-VENOM-125-GREEN-NEW-FROM-UK-STOCK
£1299 for a brand spanking new one. Admittedly £100 OTR charges on top, but still. Why on earth would you buy one for £1200 second hand??

I'd guess no one (with any sense!) would buy one for 1k either.
To my mind the bike in Plymouth is worth somewhere between £500 down there and maybe £800 in London.
So 500 + van rental & fuel my own time etc and I can't see a worthwhile profit in it.
But I've been wrong about these things before and will be again because there are always mugs around... you just need to find them Laughing

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:08 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're either trolling or mental, goodluck to you.
Atleast you can listen to your toons on the way back doe and turn heads Rolling Eyes

Quote:
An additional feature which is sure to turn heads is the implementation of an MP3 player and speakers which enable you to listen to your favourite songs via a USB or MicroSD card, controlled via a panel on top of the fuel tank

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:09 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Dimerz wrote:

First eBay result:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXMOTO-VENOM-125-GREEN-NEW-FROM-UK-STOCK-/311699652162?hash=item4892bf3e42:g:Ws8AAOSwdIFX0~bm

Thats the standard version, t'is be the Special Edition version 'oooo'.

I didn't think I was going to make money on my 50cc which I bought for £400 and it had a slight problem where when it maxed out revs the engine would die. Fixed that problemo and here today it was sold for £900.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see, a special edition.

Still only circa £1500 new though.

For £500 the bike you're on about buying would seem a good opportunity but it's also a hell of a risk.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:37 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, will keep you guys updated. Should be picking it up on Wednesday.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/EIndPd19dL1sY/giphy.gif

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
Thats the standard version, t'is be the Special Edition version 'oooo'.

I'm not sure many would notice the difference.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:55 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SE has red crash bars that add £100 to the retail price, and probably about £5 to the wholesale. They do actually look fairly pimp, at least until they've been ridden through a UK winter.

One issue you've got is waiting for the new V5C, or trying to blag the whole thing and then sell it from the wrong address. But naysayers gotta say nay.

Please do bear in mind that even eBay "selling" prices can often be fantasist bids that result in a relisting with "NO MOAR TIEM WASTARS!!!!"

Naysayers.

arry wrote:
Post Cum Depression. Happens after crap sex with wife that you've worked hard to obtain before realising you shouldn't have bothered.

If ever a thread needed split to Dear Auntie BCF.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Happens after crap sex with wife that you've worked hard to obtain before realising you shouldn't have bothered.

I've never had any issues with her. She was fine yesterday lunchtime and the 2 guys I followed were all quite complimentary... Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:17 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:

It's Wednesday + 1.

How much money have you lost so far?

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:44 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assuming he meant the other Wednesday.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:24 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: 240 Miles for a cheap 2016 bike. Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:

- Hire a van and take it home. (Costs me roughly £150)

The last time I hired a van (to pick up the FZR engine last year) I got from Wiltshire to Blackpool and back in a day. It cost me about £40 to hire the van and I suppose about £60 in diesel, but I did rag it all the way there and back.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could capitalise on the money people waste on looking at bikes/cars. Seems like people are willing to throw £150 and half their day at such behaviour.

Is it just me or is Dimerz not bothering with the advice here?

What really was the point of coming here for advice and then doing what the fuck he wanted to anyhow?

Dimerz my man, please forget the bike and put the £150 towards buying something better and local.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:07 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It's Wednesday + 1.

How much money have you lost so far?

None, its not Wednesday yet. And I meant to say Tuesday..

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
I think the reason it's cheap is because the guy doesn't know much english, his description is poor and I had to speak to his brother just to confirm the dates. The owner of the bike is a family guy and he's going on holiday in January and has nowhere to leave it parked so thats why he's selling it and on top of that he wants to get his driving license. He /seems/ like a nice guy and I think it will go all good tbh. I've found a cheap van hire only £43.50 including DVLA charges and £100 (refundable) deposit. So not as expensive as i thought of £150! If it's not good. We leave, simple as. Of course I'll give it a test run and all that. Its for sale for £500.

Seems like a hell of a fucking gamble. What you wrote there is ringing alarm bells to me, but could be fine.

If I were you id take a look to see if there are any bikes in enroute you can stop off on the way.. If you're already making that distance you must be passing some other cheap ish bikes. If a bike is listed ~£700, turn up and show them £500 cash and see if they take it.

240 miles on a 125 does not sound like fun - defo hire a van.

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:26 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I wish I could capitalise on the money people waste on looking at bikes/cars. Seems like people are willing to throw £150 and half their day at such behaviour.

Is it just me or is Dimerz not bothering with the advice here?

What really was the point of coming here for advice and then doing what the fuck he wanted to anyhow?

Dimerz my man, please forget the bike and put the £150 towards buying something better and local.

That's because they are not coming here for advise but for confirmation for their genius instead

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:56 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

On paper, it makes sense, the Venom SE (with MP3 player) while it is a new version of the original Venom (with MP3 player) was released in Nov 2015, so we are looking at a 1 year old bike that costs £1649 plut OTR brand new. Paying 1/3 of the original price seems stupendous.

But the selling price around the £500 mark, smells fishy, that is not going to make any difference if you buy it to flog it later on for twice the price you paid for it regarding the state of the bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my point. It's advertised widely enough at such a bargain price that it's reached someone 240 miles away who was willing to take a chance on enquiring and going to see it; yet nobody local has decided just to nip round on the off chance it's any good and fulfills that potential bargain? Funny time of year for buying granted, but for OP to be able to wait a week to get down there, that's seemingly pushing luck or it's just not that good a deal.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4