Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What compressor to get?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: What compressor to get? Reply with quote

Decided to get one. It will save me a lot of time fitting tires. I have 3 to fit in the next month, 5-7 a year, occasionally help out others. Most don't need it but the stubborn ones (Michelin, you cunts! please make the bead a tighter fit) can waste several hours with only 12v compressor.

Prefer vertical standing and with a flat top for putting other shit on. Space is important, who the fuck designs these sloped/knobbly topped shits? I live off the road, prefer not to be carrying a the whole unit between garage and house.. want detachable air receiver, prefer 3kw rating. They do not make this combination Mad Modify one, easy? or buy smaller 1kw/6L portable compressor. It will do 90% of what I want, twice as expensive. Most usage will be a single blast of air, air tools occasionally. 6l detachable air receiver would also fit in top box with all my fitting tools.

Thanks.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:02 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

With a compressor, get the largest you can. Mine is 8cfm with a 50L tank, and that isn't really up to what I need. Fine for pumping up tyres, but really struggles with powering an air powered impact wrench (for example).

I would say to just put it where it is convenient and then build a shelf over it for storage. Then invest in a few long air lines.

All the best

Katy
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the size matters. Go as big as your workshop area will allow, piddly compressors are a ballache.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend you go for a compressor with a decent free air delivery (FAD) figure as well as the biggest tank size your workshop will be able to accommodate. I have a 3HP compressor with a 50L tank and that can cope with heavy use of an air tool like an impact wrench. I'd have preferred a 100L or 200L tank though.

You can buy portable receivers for off site use. IIRC Toolstation do a 25L one.

Go for a decent brand too - I can recommend SIP. Avoid oil-free if possible. Thumbs Up

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have noticed they all have little motors and small displacement pumps, as its cheaper to make. Tank size is much cheaper than a decent pump. Most seem to be 1.5hp or less, about 5cfm. Some are 2.5hp, 9cfm. 3kw models give 14-18cfm but quite expensive.

Various reasons I think upright/vertical compressors are better. It would mean the drain is on the bottom, not somewhere in the middle of the tank. Take less floor space and be easier to move around. Probably cheaper to make.
However you pay a premium for this, double the price, and only available with small 1.5hp motor.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:13 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 12v compressor does tyres fine if you've used tyre soap, but it is quite chunky...
https://www.devon4x4.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/b/a/ba_2641.jpg

You could also consider getting a 'bead blaster'...
But a 240v compressor is certainly nice to have.

50l as a base, but bigger is certainly nice if you've got the space.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a detachable air receiver you could search ebay for an empty gas canister, clean it out put a new valve fitting on top and there you have a portable air tank. There are various you tube vids on converting them. I think the US posters refer to them as "air pigs".

I did one myself, but rather than use it as an air pig I used an old fridge motor to make a silent compressor. Very slow to fill, but good enough just for airing up tyres.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:34 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to do something like that for my 12v one for trackdays etc.

However, also want to get a pressure gauge with switch to turn the compressor off when it hits max pressure, as the compressor isn't designed to do that.

I got a gas canister and removed the valve, but found it used a tapered thread, so need to get a male tapered thread to plug it into the rest of the stuff.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got one you can have if you want it?

I was given it last year, used it once an its sat ever since...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1