Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:31 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread Reply with quote

So, started the New Year with some moderate exercise.

Did 1hr and 40 minutes on my exercise bike this evening, and if the computer is to be believed burned just over 1,000 Kcals.

Goals for this year, to be able to do 50 dips, and 50 press ups, each in one individual set, I'm close.

10k road run in June.

Half marathon in Sept.

Also be nice to be able to manage 10 pull ups, and lift 60 kilos over my head. I've started looping a resistance band around my rack, and putting one knee in it to give me a boost on pull ups - saw that as a recommended technique for improving pull ups.

Think 100 kilo bench press might be ambitious, but it is on the wish list. 60 kilos overhead, dunno. I remember thinking I'd never do 50, and I have once managed 56.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost 10kg for my wedding at the end of October.

Put 5kg back on Embarassed

Aiming to get to 80-85kg so lose 10-15kg.
Play touch rugby more often.
Spend a bit more time in the gym.
Maybe do a 10k run (in direct competition w/ lihp who is aiming to do 2 this year Laughing )

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six mile walk in Florida woodland/jungle stuff, at 29C it was a tad warm so that was more than enough exercise for the foreseeable future...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:07 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Six mile walk in Florida woodland/jungle stuff, at 29C it was a tad warm so that was more than enough exercise for the foreseeable future...

I was in Singapore and saw westerners jogging.

So, I went jogging. I melted. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had instructions to lose my tub this year. I'm now engaged and my Mrs is complaining that she's a long way away from fitting into a size 6 wedding dress, so I can see a team diet coming up.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am drinking more water today, and eating a yoghurt.

I may return to my occasional haunt, the local swimming pool, when there are less people pissing in it again, i.e., after a couple of weeks into the New Year.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester 10k
Prague 10k

1x Sub 60 minute 10k
1x Sub 30 minute 5k

Get down to 80kg (from 91)

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:

1x Sub 60 minute 10k
1x Sub 30 minute 5k

Zenlabs Couch to 5K and 10K trainer apps helped me achieve these within 6 months of not being able to run to the end of my street. (which is about 200ft)

Both are free Thumbs Up

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I haven't weighed myself yet as I have the shits and it skews the results but I want to get down to 12st 7lb (175lb/80kg)

Was 13'10 before Christmas but expect to be 14st now.

Complete 16KM in under 1:30 and hopefully if I can shake off my current knee injury do a half marathon in the autumn in under 1:50. (Weight loss will be key to this I think)

Spend some time on the weights with no figures in mind, just trying to develop some lean muscle to take up the slack from where the fat has been for a long time!

Good luck with your goals everyone Thumbs Up

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 12:56 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I lost 5 stone and was very fit, then starting in 2014 I began to put it all back on and now I'm back down 3.5 stone. In August last year I cut out carbs, eating a max of 20g a day and in the last couple of months began exercising again.

In 2017 I want to get back into running again, I live on the doorstep of some brilliant cross country runs and used to love getting out early on the morning for a decent run.

I would like to start lifting but the thought of going to a gym makes that a no-go.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just weight myself, 82.7 kilos Sad

however, I can do as many pull ups as I ever could, so.......

a few weeks of eating clean, and running, my weight should drop down, and pull ups should get easier, and I can do more.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the year 2 stone lighter than I started it. Currently working my way through the remaining xmas food, as I have this week off and can't be arsed to think about the R word.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 15:13 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, can anyone recommend one of those "100 press up" apps (preferably free but don't mind spending a small amount if the app is worth it) and one for sit ups as well?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
On a side note, can anyone recommend one of those "100 press up" apps (preferably free but don't mind spending a small amount if the app is worth it) and one for sit ups as well?

Yes, I have Fitnesster publisher Marcin Gmyz, think it cost like 89p or something

It has Press Ups, Squats, Pull Ups and Crunches on it, doesn't have a suddenly impossible curve on it, and the rest breaks vary depending on the point in the cycle.

I also have Dips Trainer pubsliher Gustavo Martins

I've had best results from Fintesster press ups.

Currently I'm rebuilding from about 102 press ups, I did reach 130 at one point, though I've yet to manage 50 in a single set, I'm nearly there. Got to 48 once.

This afternoon I ran 11k in just under 1hr, which isn't bad as I did 1h40min on my exercise bike the evening before.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:16 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's Windows only, I'm looking for an iOS app but that sounded exactly what I'm after.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goals for '17 are to get as lean as possible I'm currently around 22-25%(if you can trust my scales) I want to get that down to improve my cycling.

I aim to get increase the mileage i do on my bike, currently aim to do about 80 miles a week

I have plans to do a 62 mile sportive in June, and will probably do more
I want to smash my first century
and I want to improve my hill climbing

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goals:

Arrow 120/140 - 360kg oly total
Arrow 250kg deadlift
Arrow 130kg log

@110kg bodyweight.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:45 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a pup. She will need lots of exercise. I foresee much walking. Then maybe some cycling to run her because I
can cycle, but I'm fecked if I can run. When shes grown into herself a bit of course. For now the back garden is a little
overwhelming for her. But I reckon this year will see me get a bit fitter. Thumbs Up

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already quit vaping (since October). I've now given up caffeine, and also milk and sugar in drinks (I found i was having anything up to 16 teaspoons of sugar a day in hot drinks).

Plan is to start dieting now and shift a stone or more. I will try cycling to work when it gets warmer but that's the extent of my exercise.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

milk is good, big slug of milk after a run or cycle Thumbs Up

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start swimming again and play more badminton.

Would like to lose about 1 - 1.5 stone.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Then maybe some cycling to run her because I
can cycle, but I'm fecked if I can run.

My uncle used to do that with a massive St Bernard type dog. After many many uneventful rides the dog saw something to the left and shot off after it, pulling the lead and my uncle off his bike. Torn shoulder ligaments, bruising and gravel rash.
You might be better off running.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:50 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goals for 2017 is to get as fit and as fast as I possibly can. No mileage targets this year so I can concentrate solely on speed,power output etc.

I'm currently a stone too heavy but that'll go in time with the training regime I'm starting in just over 2 weeks plus when I get back out onthe road the hills will help reduce my weight. I do struggle to stay away from eating junk food but I'll try my best.

So goals are to.......

Break the current cross country UMCA record that was set in September there, from the West of Skye to Peterhead.

Do a few TT's, maybe some crits.

Maybe a hill climb

Do a 20 min FTP test and achieve 300w

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
milk is good, big slug of milk after a run or cycle Thumbs Up

Chocolate milk is apparently even better. Cocoa helps with muscle recovery or something.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran just under 7.5 miles in just over one hour today, not sure of the exact time, I stopped to talk briefly to someone doing organised dog training in the country park and took a card - naughty puppy/junior dog needs training
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10