Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still at it, has become a staple part of my life - I like weight training and cycling and can see me doing them in some fashion for a very long time. Me and running, we don't see eye to eye.

Good session yesterday, back after a week away - hit good %'s with a 100kg snatch, 110kg power clean/power jerk and a 227.5kg(500lb) deadlift, squatting was going well before so hope can pick back up and hit 190kg in the gym in next few weeks. Not played with the log in a while so must fit that in somewhere.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What is it with over 40's suddenly getting really into their running?

Im 30.

Not much will beat drunken downhill trail running for adrenaline and fun.

Tonight did 17km mostly trail with group. Goal is 40-60km a week but my strava average is just about 40, need to do moar.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a bloke at work who was a mad keen runner and distance cyclist, both on and off road. He rides them funny cycle cross bikes though.

Not saying they are all the same, but he was as autistic as fuck, and kept talking about his strava average and set routes or king of the hill sections comparing him and his mates PB's etc.

I downloaded the app, and had a look at it before deciding to fuck it off as it bored the arse off me. I don't want anyone to know when and where I go cycling or how far and how fast I go. The same goes with bikes, I don't want to ride with anyone else or compare chicken strips etc.

I don't mind turning up at a bike night or pub, or a car meet, but only to look at other people's rides, not to wank myself off over detailing competitions or how big my turbo is, or how much stretch I've got over my wheels etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like cycling, but I'm not that interested in riding with others either.

I just pedal my bike, and ride for a few hours.

I don't seem able to get my heart rare high enough pedalling, but maybe I'm too weak cos too much running.

I do like watching a movie on demand and pedalling my excercise bike, though really would like an elliptical trainer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:15 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did another 15 mile ride this evening. I am desperately wanting to lose as much of that 4.5lb gain from last week. Fingers crossed.

I'm beginning to think that I should get a hybrid bike. My 1995 Marin Pine Mountain isn't cut out for the road riding that I am doing. But I don't like the drop-bars on full on road racers.
I'm currently in the (very long) process of building my own bike. Perhaps once that's done, I'll work on a hybrid as the next project. Something with 29" wheels.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I did another 15 mile ride this evening. I am desperately wanting to lose as much of that 4.5lb gain from last week. Fingers crossed.

some of that weight is probably carbs/water retention?

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:42 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea mate. Maybe, I guess. I don't understand how the body stores and expends things. I just didn't wanna be as fat for my mate's wedding. Mission accomplished! But now, I want to be considered a 'healthy body weight' if I ever go see my doctor. Just because.

handbasket
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of years ago I got into rowing and have really been enjoying it, been to a few regattas and even won a race at Llandaff.

Going to Oxford Regatta this Saturday, camping with the bike the night before, rowing in a 4 in the morning and then in an 8 in the afternoon.

Cycling's been a bit disrupted by this so I DNF'd on London-Edinburgh-London earlier this month - just not going fast enough.

I'm getting good numbers for 3 minute power but I think my long distance endurance has suffered a bit (it's not bad - can still cycle nearly 400 miles over a weekend on my fixie but not able to bank enough time on the really long events for sleep).

Rowing's been good for my overall physique. Quads are bigger, shoulders and arms are bigger. Back and core are stronger. I'm over 80kg whereas I've been under 70kg when cycling was the only thing I was doing. Mostly, the additional weight isn't fat.

Throwing in some weights when I can. No weights this month, just focusing on rowing technique and a bit of cardio when I can.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never rowed on the river, and I live right by one and there are at least two public rowing clubs.

Long, long ago I won an indoor rowing competition at the gym next to the rowing club, won a meal for two, collapsed and nearly threw up when I got off the machine, Laughing I'd been pipped to the post the year before, and was determined to win this time.

Doubt I could get anywhere near that now.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that now a couple of mates are doing a bit of training, I find the motivation to continue easier to find.
Even though we will never be like you Gods of fitness, we are trying to stave off a heart attack for at least a little bit longer Smile

I did start doing some walking last year and enjoyed it,does this mean I'll morph into a rambler Shocked
I'm also going to try to do a bit of swimming in the next few months, I found that really helped with my breathing.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:17 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've slacked off since starting a new job and I've put on 6lb but I'm hoping I'll lose it again quite quickly.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:03 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:

I lost 4lbs. Not quite, but definitely not a disappointment.

handbasket
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I've never rowed on the river, and I live right by one and there are at least two public rowing clubs.

Long, long ago I won an indoor rowing competition at the gym next to the rowing club, won a meal for two, collapsed and nearly threw up when I got off the machine, Laughing I'd been pipped to the post the year before, and was determined to win this time.

Doubt I could get anywhere near that now.

It's great fun. Technically very challenging. But a great social sport if doing sweep rowing since there's a minimum of 4 + cox in a typical outing.

Local gym here has had a 2K challenge. Last I saw, best time was 7:10, someone in our squad can do well under 6:40. My PB, set last year, when I was 44, is 7:13, so I might have a go at beating 7:10. Would like to get sub 7 but I'm not getting any younger.

We did a 1K test earlier this season, I did 3:25.5. That puts me the slowest in the 4 for Oxford, but I'm the oldest by 15 years, so I'm ok with that. There are younger people who didn't get picked for that boat. Wink

This was our 4 winning a semi final at Llandaff back in June:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzapzmK9sN4

The video ends too soon - we actually collided with the yellow safety boat (you can hear them on the megaphone shouting "Hold up Bristol" just before impact). Laughing

handbasket
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did a 1K test on the rowing machine last night. 3:20.8. I could not have done that 20 years ago when I was 25.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

handbasket wrote:
So I did a 1K test on the rowing machine last night. 3:20.8. I could not have done that 20 years ago when I was 25.

Impressive! The best I ever managed was sub 3.15, when I won that indoor competition, and nearly collapsed when I got off the machine.

These days, I aim for 4m and it's still a good workout

Just did my first ever half marathon in 1hr 57m, got a few strava PBs 10k,15k,20k and second best for 5k

and....... that's it from me on the subject of running for this thread for the year, other than to say will start doing park run later in the month.

Right, back to the weights and core exercises. Thumbs Up Stand by for posts about weight lifted etc

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycled over to the Park Run this morning then ran the Park Run then cycled back again, I came back via a slightly longer and slightly more hilly route.

So cycled about 30miles in total and ran 5k to boot

Didn't do to badly at the 5k either, came at a smidge of 26mins, 4th for my age group and 60th overall. I'm happy with that seen as I only started running again 3 weeks ago.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I in my usual positive state, actually like the rowing machine at the gym. Laughing

I always set it for a 10min count down, and the best I ever got was 2540m in that time, when I was using one every night for two weeks, while staying away with work.

No idea how crap that is, but it was a good challenge and work out.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I in my usual positive state, actually like the rowing machine at the gym. Laughing

I always set it for a 10min count down, and the best I ever got was 2540m in that time, when I was using one every night for two weeks, while staying away with work.

No idea how crap that is, but it was a good challenge and work out.

In my opinion it's pretty good going, that's like 2m splits. (every 500m)

whilst I've no doubt I could get on my rower and do 1k in 4mins. Not confident I could do 2k in 8mins....

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathon Oct 8th - Done 155 miles training in 2 months, longest run 15 miles in just over 2 hours. Big runs coming up in the next 2 weeks when I'm in the mountains in the south of Spain Confused

Doing a half marathon 15th Oct as well.

Aiming for sub 4 for the big one and sub 1:50 for the half. Not lost much weight, less than 7% of my mass but my legs have gotten pretty big.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished my hardest session at the gym.
My legs are like jelly and my bones ache from the inside.

However I don't feel as bad as when I first started this nonsense Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned the mirror in my home gym, and pinned all my running medals on there. Laughing

Did a basic work out, and oh my days I struggled.

Wise enough not to push too hard, as I've slacked right off weights and some core exercises, but am back on reps of press ups, crunches, squats, pull ups and dips. Didn't try full pull ups, I used suspension ropes with my feet on the ground at an incline, though did hang from my bars, and alternated hands.

Then did a bunch of other exercises, ab wheel, yoga ball plank etc a few dumbbell and barbell reps, resistance band, stepper.

Plan to do the reps 3 times a week, and re-introduce weights.

still a little sore from half marathon, part of foot quite painful still, will probably skip running club tomorrow, got a dirt bike ride on Weds

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:25 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, after a hideous time with my lungs recovering(ish) after workplace negligence, I'm going to try running again properly. Still have (just) enough endurance to sustain ten minutes running, and I'm gonna have a crack at training for a race at the end of October. Just wondering if I can push myself to do the 10k, or if I should start small and go for the 5k for now.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 09:40 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the 10k. If you can run a 5k you can run a 10k, just do it slower.

With running, it's a massive ball ache until you get fit and can run without getting out of breath at a decent pace. If you're breathing hard, slow it down until you can comfortably hold a conversation.

Unless you're doing a specific workout that is such as intervals etc

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hurt my knees pushing too far too fast last time i started running.

Its generally advised to increase the distance your running by about %10 each week.

I've started running again and i have managed so to keep the knees happy by starting with couch to 5k again. I'll start increase the pace or the distance again slowly

If I were you I'd aim for 5k and work up from there, i think you might struggle if you tried to hit 10k by October (maybe 7 weeks to the end of October)

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:12 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Right, after a hideous time with my lungs recovering(ish) after workplace negligence, I'm going to try running again properly. Still have (just) enough endurance to sustain ten minutes running, and I'm gonna have a crack at training for a race at the end of October. Just wondering if I can push myself to do the 10k, or if I should start small and go for the 5k for now.

Walsall parkrun one week? Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10