Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:32 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with regard to health and fitness you need to go big or go home....

If you do nothing but eat healthily for two weeks, you won't notice you're doing it by the end. If you eat healthy for a couple of days then binge on pizza not only do you undo all the good you've already done, you then don't get used to subsisting on rabbit food.

I live on cereal for breakfast (not a sugary one) salad and normally a pre made wrap from Asda for lunch, then veg, meat and a bit of pasta for dinner. It's a little more complex than that, but that's the basis that I work on. I've calculated the protein I need, and when I'm training I supplement it with a single protein shake, so I get enough protein. If you go half hearted, it's too easy to fall back into old patterns. You need to make a major lifestyle change with regard to food in order to make progress. I also only drink water or tea now, which would make a massive difference for a lot of people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Foody eaty stuff.

Me, l just need to make a start on not eating as much and eating less of the crappy stuff like chocolate and crisps.
Once I've mastered that, then I'll work on the balanced diet

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

done feck all for weeks

was raging against my illness inside, but have been trying to stop worrying about it

had winter vomiting bug and then a chest infection

can do nothing about it except wait it out

hope to start training again next week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly been cardio king the last two weeks. Will strength train tomorrow if I'm not too hungover.

Been cycling more than anything else. Running has taken a back seat due to injury in December, but I can bike pain free.

Ran last weekend, first time pain free for a bit and it was great. Just don't want to push too hard too soon.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of go big or go home, but I'd wager that at least 50-65% of bcf is not very fitness minded or wants to achieve big goals.

I've changed alot too, when I was 21 I wanted to be 13.5stone+ and be able to lift big weights, and have a big chest.

Now I'm in my late 30's I want to be no more than 12.5stone, don't care how big my chest is or how much I can lift. I don't even want to look ripped or have defined abs etc.

All I want is stamina, and be able to run 2miles without getting out of breath or feeling sick. Back then if I could run 100yards it was a big enough achievement.

How do you people that do say a 75%physical job view your fitness and exercise levels? I mean I used to work with older guys that said if your walking around all day on your feet or lifting and carrying stuff that it's all the exercise you ever need?

Others say that if you are a physical person and burn alot of calories at work, that it's no where near enough as your body is used to it and you won't get into an aerobic state, so you must push harder and do more outside of work to make your body really work? The office person needs less exercise as almost anything gets them into an aerobic state?

So far in 2017, I've started doing 40 press ups, and 40sit ups, and 12 pull ups twice a week after work unless I'm ill. I've been deliberately walking further to a from the supermarket, about a 3.5mile round trip now.

Given up on swimming since the new pool was opened near me, it's a crap 25m pool and always busy. Gym bored me by 2013 so I won't be going back, (been going on/off since I was 19).

I've been out on one 8mile mountain bike ride in January and will be doing more again when it's a bit warmer.

Running has been sporadic too, but I have a set 2.6mile circuit and only want to get faster not run any further.

Eating is the problem for me, I can vary hugely from one day to the next in how little or much I eat. I do skip tea at least once a week and I'm having a very low protein diet, (meat once or twice a week tops).

Some say diet is king, and others say calories in vs calories out. I've heard some people say eat well/little and exercise less, and others say it's pointless doing lots of strict exercise if your not following a healthy diet and having very rigid meal times and portion sizes etc.

I'll never be say like Marjay with a pretty fixed constant diet, it's not me. I eat too much bread and no fish and little meat. Some say it's a death sentence and others say it's perfectly ok, especially if you don't have any fags or booze.

Lastly how do those of you get along who work very varied shifts or roles at work? I mean in a 10hour day I can vary from one day to the next.
Day one, I walk 1.5mile to work and back, spend 4hours driving, two hours sitting down and a couple of hours standing still or kneeling down.

Day two, I could including to and from work walk 5-6miles, and be up and down ladders all day, carrying heavy tools or kit, or even digging holes or pulling heavy cables 2-300m down ducts etc.

It makes my hunger levels vary massively, as does if I'm doing filthy dirty work where I don't want to eat. I would probably Binge snack after at home before tea on such a day, as I can't control always when I have meal breaks, and don't always fancy the same foods like sandwiches or wraps etc.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be lugging heavy gear about at work every day, but when you go and hit the gym, it's surprising that you can't lift the same sort of weight, not even remotely close. Because the gym concentrates on isolation and perfect form, whereas work you want to get the job done as quickly as possible.

Think I've been to the gym twice this year Laughing Going to aim for at least twice a week. I want to get my weight down to 80-85kg.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

did 20 press ups, 20 crunches, 10 dips, 5 pull ups etc last night

think I'm okay and ready to start training again now Thumbs Up

stupid virus knocked me back a bit, but I'm still in miles better shape than 4 years ago

hopefully me back to training hard next week.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

260kg rack pull for doubles, heaviest weight i've held in my hands - good indicator of the deadlift target and helps strengthen the back for the oly lifts.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No training for me this week unless I have a dramatic change with my back.
Trained hard Friday and I think I've overdone it.
Today has been a " I can hardly walk " day.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

walked 2.5 miles to the start point of Bedford Run Club

ran 7 miles with them

then jogged the 2.5miles home

Very Happy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sore nipples this morning, bloody shirt when I took it off Sick

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:48 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skimming through this thread has gotten me all hyped up about exercising again..

Ran my first half marathon last year and managed to re-injure my ankle, not been for a run since. Am actually missing it.

Have the desire to aim for a marathon (something I've wanted to do for years). The half was leading up toward it. So at the moment I'm looking to start running again and get my distance back up.

Don't wish to lose any weight, but would be nice to tone up.

For my last bout of training I was using MyFitnessPal and Zombies, run! apps, as well as a Garmin watch.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really use anything to guide me in running but a stop watch on my wrist, but I do run with a group once a week.

Ran tonight, in the rain 11k with them and 4k home on my own.

Next week they will have a 15k group which I hope to run with.

The usual routine, press ups, squats, crunches, pull ups, dips, and some free weights is okay. I reset everything a while ago, I use some phone apps to keep check, will do a big push for home many I can do on the next testing phase.

I have my 3rd annual 10k in the summer, and my first ever half marathon in the autumn.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:57 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down to below 10st, and I measured myself for a body fat analysis test and I'm around 12% body fat. I want to get down to 10% if I can.

I'm still doing my 3 set programme with 3 sets of the following: 25 situps (holding an 8kg weight), 10 Squat jumps, 10 pull ups, 10 bicep curls, and 30 broomstick twists. Then I've got a bit of cardio and a lot of stretching.

I'm still sticking to my standard food and with no snacking or drinking anything other than water or tea. I'm taking extra protein before training, but I'm trying to make sure I have plenty of protein in each meal.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I don't really use anything to guide me in running but a stop watch on my wrist, but I do run with a group once a week.

Ran tonight, in the rain 11k with them and 4k home on my own.

2 days after posting that, I did 100 minutes on my exercise bike whilst watching a movie, then the next day I went for a jog and my legs were killing me, pains on the right of one knee and the back of the calf on the other leg, real bad.

Anyway, yesterday did a full on day of green laning, complete with manhandling bikes over obstacles,

tonight I cycled to my running club meet and cycled back, about 5 miles in all, and we did a slow paced 19k run with some hills.

Just some twinging in my legs - so should be back to normal soon.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a turbo trainer back end of January and signed up to trainer road, and started a 12 week base building program on the 6th of feb, currently on week 5 of that.

Bit disappointed by how low my starting power output is, but I lost a bit of weight and my legs have got a lot bigger and more defined, I retest my power output at the start of week 7 so hopefully there be a decent improvement my FTP

over all my body fat is still quite high ~20% ish, but i haven't really altered my diet

now the weather's improving, i'll start putting in some road miles again, I'm hoping to regularly hit 120 miles a week

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Bought a turbo trainer back end of January and signed up to trainer road, and started a 12 week base building program on the 6th of feb, currently on week 5 of that.

I just googled Turbo Trainer.

looks good, but the price Shocked

I could buy a very decent bicycle for that, my starting point is from not owning a good bicycle.... Very Happy

Robster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost over 3 stone since last year and so far kept it up. I signed up to White Collar Boxing last summer and got 8 weeks free training which helped kick start the weight loss.

I'm half arsedly doing IF with some macros I averaged out of doing three to four online macro calculators - barely had a drop of booze since New years, mainly doing the big-three routine in the gym three times a week and a bit of gentle cardio two days a week.

Started at over 17 stone and currently down to 13.5 and still dropping slowly. I binge-eat occasionally on the weekend out of boredom more than anything but I've definitely improved on portion control.

My main issue is sticking to a good sleeping pattern and finding reasonably healthy stuff in Asda for lunch is tough and expensive. I get bored quickly of food.

Going down from a 40in waist to a 34in is great for my confidence and I don't feel half of self conscious as I used to. I still ache like a bastard tho!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, similar to what I did - aprt from the boxing bit

started caring about my appearance a bit more once I could fit "normal" clothes, even bought an iron Laughing

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
duhawkz wrote:

I just googled Turbo Trainer.

looks good, but the price Shocked

I could buy a very decent bicycle for that, my starting point is from not owning a good bicycle.... Very Happy

Depends which ones you where looking at the high end ones are expensive, i got mine in the sales

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone gave me my bicycle Laughing

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone would give me a bicycle, I'm trying to talk the missues round to letting me get a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1.

Robster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
yeah, similar to what I did - aprt from the boxing bit

started caring about my appearance a bit more once I could fit "normal" clothes, even bought an iron Laughing

Yeah none of my clothes fit anymore! It's great but also shit as I hate clothes shopping. I only go like once every two years!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

so run another 10k with the club on Tuesday night, just under one hour, but this time I was feeling good and was with the front of the pack running on ahead to the junctions and doubling back around to the back of the group with the slower runners and then back to the front again.

Cycled there and back, and the cycling back was a nice cool down.

Got a few niggly aches and pains that I have to train around, I suspect dirt biking is the cause - but things are improving a bit.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to Tuesday it had been 7 years since I last stepped foot in a gym, I had been a huge gym brah for several years but life was more important and I let it slide.

Fuck it, hunted through my files for an old full body routine and went to my closest gym. 10 pm so fairly quiet.

I'm 20 kg heavier than I was at my peak Laughing , repping about half of what I used to, 24+ hrs later I have mega DOMS all over but it almost feels good, much nostalgia. 9/10 will go again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10