Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rncv
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:32 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diet started Jan 1st, down 13.6kg so far.

Calories in vs calories out, no exercise.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:28 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late contender for 2017, in my early twenties having always been a fat cunt I decided to start gymming. Lost 7 stone and started to look epic. Lots of weights plenty of cardio and good eating. I then at the age of 26 basically mugged it all off eventually after meeting my now wife.

Weight went back on over a fairly small amount of time. Couple of efforts over the last few years to shift some weight but ultimately never properly managed it.

Cue, to now - 5 years later, rejoined gym 3 weeks ago started back 2 weeks ago (I know I was building up to it I promise). Weights in the morning - heavy full body sessions to begin with mon weds Friday. - stuck to this so far.

Last week was awful for DOMS - couldn't lift my arms up, couldn't get comfortable in the night... waking up in pain... awful stuff but battled through it. By Friday last week it subsided massively and have carried on pushing through. Cardio so far 2 x this week and about to head out for another before another weights session tomorrow morning.

Eating chicken, steak, veg, some basic carbs. I did totally fuck up last Friday - went out on the beer with a couple of mates. Pizza for tea in an Italian sour dough place then loads of drinks until 2:30am then hangover dominos on Saturday. Not good but back to it the Sunday and since.

It's a long haul ahead! Not bothered to weigh myself yet but will start on Monday once the false positives of water loss from your first couple of weeks are out of the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 19:47 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 60+ lbs down from August last year. Fitness is coming along OK, speed is coming back but my upper body strength is coming back more slowly.

I'm going to do a hilly off road 10k route that I used to do as my quick morning run route, that will give me a good indication as to how I'm getting on.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still battling chronic can't be arsed-ness however. Two sessions on the bike at the gym in the week and a 5km run yesterday, gym session today has made me feel better. Weight is just shy of 12 stone so not too bad. Should be able to get some decent cycle/run miles in soon.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
so run another 10k with the club on Tuesday night, just under one hour, but this time I was feeling good and was with the front of the pack running on ahead to the junctions and doubling back around to the back of the group with the slower runners and then back to the front again.

Cycled there and back, and the cycling back was a nice cool down.

Got a few niggly aches and pains that I have to train around, I suspect dirt biking is the cause - but things are improving a bit.

I'm avoiding scales, I'm not worrying about my weight at the moment, or too much how I look with a shirt off, think it was a bit of a red herring agonising over calories and diet - I just try and eat well now.
So after that run on Tuesday, on Friday I went running on my own, and did 7k including running up Cemetery Hill down Manton Lane and back up Gainsborough Rise, really got the heart and lungs working.

Still doing my crunches/press ups/dips etc, but started pushing the squat lifts, and bench press trying to them properly. Can only just managed 10 reps of 60kilos at the moment, or 70 with the bench.

can do a lot more as one offs though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:30 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started Slimming World in January and I'm hoping for my 2st award on Wednesday.
I was 18st 12.5lbs when I started (25/01) and I was 17st 2.5lbs last Wednesday.
I enjoy it. You can eat as much as you like. You just have to care about what you're eating. I've always enjoyed fruit and vegetables anyway, so it's more the kind of meat I'm eating which has made an impact.

I'm 4lbs away from 2st, and I'm desperate to hit that figure. I went for my second bike ride in over a decade today. I rode to SW last Wed which was a 7.7 mile round trip. Today I did 14.17 miles. And I feel so, so, SO much better for it.

If anyone's looking to lose weight, I personally could not praise SW enough.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a quick blast on the rowing machine

warmed up

then did 1k, slow start fast finish

then a lazy 1k after a quick break

Getting back into that - "just do an extra.... whatever, whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, washing machine to finish" throughout the day too.

So maybe 30 press ups at breakfast time waiting for the kettle, or some dumbbell curls whilst waiting for the microwave to ping.

Half marathon not till Sept, debating running further than 10k this spring, but might wait a bit yet.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

think I'd like one of these elliptic bicycles, but too much money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ElliptiGO-Arc-Worlds-Outdoor-Elliptical/dp/B01927OAZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489957071&sr=8-1&keywords=elliptigo

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:00 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

11% body fat. Just sayin'.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 15% body fat. Last summer with much effort I got it to 13% Neutral

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the first 6 weeks trainer road program and started the second 6 week program.

Did another FTP test tonight and have added 15% in six weeks, I'm not going to be winning any grand tours but its heading in the right direction.

Made some small changes to my diet, I have overnight oats for breakfast usually with some frozen berries and i am trying to cut out carbs at lunch time, trying to resist the sweets and biscuits people bring to the office (that's proving rather difficult)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/28/91/a3/2891a32fc63001c5427cc71d76a9ea5e.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been eating so much crap lately, over last year I've gone from 32 waist to 36waist(just) Diet starts today.
Had 1 tin of soup all day and will repeat that for the next week or so which should quickly see some results.
In short, my leathers don't fit, and I'm not buying bigger ones. Having the pup since the start of the year has kept me from
my climbing which has had a bad impact on my upper body. In contrast my legs are bigger and rock solid because I walk
the dog so much and a lot of our regular walk is uphill on mud, that's very tiring to try and make progress on.
I hope to resume climbing pretty soon.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual labour all day, up and down ladders, then walked 4 miles before run club, so arrived with warm legs at start time, ran 10k with relative ease, and a nice sprint finish, then walked 2 miles home.

Acid test will be can I run on Friday? I've had all sorts of aches and pains, and tendonitis to train around, but slowly getting there.

Hope to do some hill climb running on Friday.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Meth is a helluva drug. Cool

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
In short, my leathers don't fit

I don't know why, but reading this post produced an instant pictorial response of leather lederhosen... Confused

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this gym thing, I'm assuming it does get easier.
Fairly underwhelmed so far.
(2nd visit) Laughing

I've not gone on that weight/BMI/body fat machine yet.
But I suppose I should.
If I'm going to take myself at all seriously about this malarkey.

I'm not sure fitness is the right thing for me.
Couch potato has been my only meme for so long.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:30 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost 2.5lbs this week. I needed 4 for the magical 2st Award. However, I have lost 10% of my initial body weight since January, so that's always a plus.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
So this gym thing, I'm assuming it does get easier.
Fairly underwhelmed so far.
(2nd visit) Laughing

I've not gone on that weight/BMI/body fat machine yet.
But I suppose I should.
If I'm going to take myself at all seriously about this malarkey.

I'm not sure fitness is the right thing for me.
Couch potato has been my only meme for so long.

Yes, it does get easier.

Don't worry in the slightest what anyone else thinks, anyone taking fitness seriously is only worried about their own workout, not what anyone else is doing. Though you come across as supremely confident and with good self esteem, so I don't think that will be a problem for you. Thumbs Up I say this, because going to a gym can be a little bit intimidating, depending on the gym, I've found the rough and ready ones are actually less snobby, and more work out focussed actually.

Yeah, do find out what you weigh, bmi and stuff, and then don't worry about it overly for a while. Just check back in a few weeks.

don't over do it when you go to the gym, to easy to get into something and overdo it and then suffer for it IMO

Have a look for a running club on facebook, there is bound to be a free one nearish you, doing couch to 5k. It literally is a case of walk before you run, and it is a sad fact that women do sometimes get hassled when they jog alone, so walking/running in a group is a good idea. I belong to a group, and it caters for all abilities, they meet at the same time and place, and do different routes and paces, and no one gets left behind, even in the slowest group on the shortest distance, leaders will loop back to the tail enders, it is very social

Set your goals small and build on them. For instance, if you don't alter your diet at all and exercise more you will see results, so maybe alter your diet just a tad too and see slightly more improvement.

oh and if your gym has personal trainers, might not be a bad idea to book a couple of sessions to make sure you are doing it right, rather than rely on the initial induction thing if you had one.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

went for a bicycle ride this afternoon 17miles in just under 1 and a half hours with some hills thrown in.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 09:15 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart rate hit 195bpm yesterday during exercise, is my heart going to do a Deathstar and explode into a million bits?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
My heart rate hit 195bpm yesterday during exercise, is my heart going to do a Deathstar and explode into a million bits?

I don't know. If you are younger probably more likely to be okay.

How quick does it get back down again when you stop?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 10:26 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late thirties and it drops into the 160s as soon as I go from sprints into a jog, as in a cliff face drop.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran this route last Tuesday, running it again tonight

https://www.strava.com/routes/8122482

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

Resting heart rate is more indicative of problems, 70-90 is considered average, over 100 puts you at risk of cvd. Take resting rate sat down and relaxed.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:35 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Down to 10% now. Not chemically assisted.

My resting heart rate is something like 65 at the moment too. Pretty happy with that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10