Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBF125 rear brake sticking.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

SixFeetOfMan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:23 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: CBF125 rear brake sticking. Reply with quote

My rear brake started sticking.
It releases after few seconds of riding at 5mph+.
Brake pedal returns to resting position immediately.
My first thought was cam/axle stuck in brake housing.
Cleaned and lubed it(with moly grease), still sticking, no difference at all.
wear indicator (no 9 on diagram) travels 2/3 of maximum travel before brake engages.
So I'm guessing there is ~1/3 of shoe life left.

Is it brake shoes, or (95014-73100) brake rod spring that pushes brake lever back. I can quite easily compress it by hand, and stuck brake need only light push to go back.

Shoes have at least 7500 miles, but liner is still 3.3mm thick.
Do anyone know thickness of new rear brake shoe liner for cbf125?

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake looks similar to the one on my CG125.Two things to check. First remove the adjuster nut from the end of the brake rod, disconnect the rod from the operating arm. Now operate the arm by hand. Does it return to the "brake off" position on its own, or at least with minimal help? If it does, then the problem is elsewhere. Have you lubricated the brake pedal pivot? On the CG 125, there is also a spring that lifts the pedal. Is yours missing? When you get it sorted, remember to check operation of brake light. If problem is within brake itself, clean those parts of the brakeshoes that touch the cam face, and the pivot opposite with fine emery paper. Put a tiny bit of high temperature grease on cam face and pivot.

SixFeetOfMan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:22 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks neptune8.
Brake pedal was always returning up, lever at the back was sticking but only after heavy-ish braking.
I had brake apart again and there is a bit of wear on surfaces interfering with the cam. Cam has about 3mm flat spots worn on it, I don't think it helps either.
Brake shoes are unmarked, probably £5.99 ones from ebay. they are all aluminium, EBC,KYOTO,OEM Honda have cam interface surfaces steel.
Flipped shoes round to get unworn parts to engage cam.
Polished cam surfaces with 1500 grit wet sandpaper as they were a bit rough.
Lubed cam/shoe contact with a bit of lithium digger grease(if it's good for digger drive sprockets it gotta be overkill for this, right?)
Brake works fine now returns normally even after I stand on the pedal.
New brake shoes ordered, for sake of £15 it's not worth risking stuck brake for good.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1