Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 - Spill counter.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
stuff

Face in the clocks remind me of:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/untitled_132.png

source. Just to prove I'm not a weirdo.

Comment for giggles, of course. Wink Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
QFT.

https://i.imgur.com/C0OVTvm.png

Were you really staring at your clocks rather than the road ahead?

I was ready to tear into him until I remembered how crap the brakes are on an ER5 Very Happy

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did well not to splatter yourself into the truck / car Laughing Take that as as handy hint to ease off on the throttle a bit ... especially on roads you know.

I know what you mean about shit brakes though, my CB500 is the same, single disc and it really doesn't shed speed like a modern with ABS will.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
I know what you mean about shit brakes though, my CB500 is the same, single disc and it really doesn't shed speed like a modern with ABS will.

Except for the guy on here who triggered his ABS, causing him to hit the car he would have avoided on literally any other bike (even an ER5) Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of talent is not the fault of ABS!

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:54 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I really wasn't looking at my clocks, angle of the camera on my head means that when I'm leaning forward the smallest amount clocks are all you can see. When I brace to brake then I straighten up my posture and you can see more. The first 1/10th of a second or so that I see the truck I don't realise it is stationary,

The slow signs on the floor don't actually mean something do they? I thought they just choose random places in the road and put em down.
Generally they mean "slow, corner ahead" but I should have interpreted it as "slow, person unloading a sofa from a lorry in the lane with incoming"

Honestly once I was in that situation, I don't think I could have hoped for a better outcome, really lucky in missing any other vehicle ish, and missing the people, and not potato myself. Yes there was a bit of skill, but a fuck load of luck. And Iearnt my lesson.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakebrownbass
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:03 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
No I really wasn't looking at my clocks, angle of the camera on my head means that when I'm leaning forward the smallest amount clocks are all you can see. When I brace to brake then I straighten up my posture and you can see more. The first 1/10th of a second or so that I see the truck I don't realise it is stationary,

The slow signs on the floor don't actually mean something do they? I thought they just choose random places in the road and put em down.
Generally they mean "slow, corner ahead" but I should have interpreted it as "slow, person unloading a sofa from a lorry in the lane with incoming"

Honestly once I was in that situation, I don't think I could have hoped for a better outcome, really lucky in missing any other vehicle ish, and missing the people, and not potato myself. Yes there was a bit of skill, but a fuck load of luck. And Iearnt my lesson.

Generally slow on the road is there as a sign to slow down. They're not just there for fun.

The same way the number of chevrons on a corner give an indication of how long the corner or tight the corner is.

Going from where your needle is on the clocks you're doing at least 70 indicated. On a blind corner. Not the smartest of moves, no matter how well you know the road. Sad

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was a twat, and I could have injured other people as well as myself, just gotta take this as it is and learn from it, make sure not to put myself and others at risk agaib

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
https://youtu.be/CzzLTqjS1vk

Ouch. Shocked
So what's with the photoshopped-on arrows at 0:28? I assume I'm missing something obvious?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I was ready to tear into him until I remembered how crap the brakes are on an ER5 Very Happy

Plus it seems he was doing around 70 round a blind bend (OP says he was familiar with the road; houses and driveways on the left, an entrance way on the right, yet he still took the bend at 70), plus a "slow" sign on the road. The evidence mounts.

On the news today (BBC North) was a report about a biker killed by a car pulling out onto a straight stretch of clear road along which he was travelling. His camera footage was shown. You could see the car sitting at the junction well before the chap got there, and yet he showed no signs of slowing or even adjusting his road positioning, preparing for what obviously could happen. He seemed to just take it in blind faith that he would be safe. Too many folks not learning to read the signs it seems.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakebrownbass wrote:
the number of chevrons on a corner give an indication of how long the corner or tight the corner is.

This is not true.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:42 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going too fast on roads you know well? I'm as guilty of that at most.

Having ridden an ER5, the brakes are pretty shit (and I say that from the perspective of CB500...which should tell you something).

However, for all those saying he was doing 70 indicated: on my ER the indicated was generally between 6 and 10 mph above the actual (as in GPS tracked) speed. I'd not be surprised if the same were true here (though that was still a bit fast for a blind bend).

Still, well done on not being badly hurt or destroying the bike!

chickenstrip wrote:
On the news today (BBC North) was a report about a biker killed by a car pulling out onto a straight stretch of clear road along which he was travelling. His camera footage was shown. You could see the car sitting at the junction well before the chap got there, and yet he showed no signs of slowing or even adjusting his road positioning, preparing for what obviously could happen. He seemed to just take it in blind faith that he would be safe. Too many folks not learning to read the signs it seems.

Do you have a link for that? That is exactly the sort of scenario I envisage being the end of my biking career. In fact it happened to me last week, though the lane opposite was clear and she did see me (in the end). If the lane opposite had cars and she had pulled out right into the middle of the lane? I dunno.....iffy....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:

Not sure if serious or just concussed.

IAM / RoSPA / Rozzers' golden rule is: always be able to stop comfortably on your side of the road within the distance you can see to be clear.

They don't necessarily ride that way, IME, but it's hard to argue against the principle. Doesn't matter if its an unloading loading lorry, a broken down car, a tree lying across the road, or a box of kittens. If you can't see that the road is clear, assume it's not, even if you've been down there a thousand times before without issues.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

It's when an overly sensitive system increases your braking distance.

chickenstrip wrote:

Someone once told me if you think about a car pulling out on you it's time to stop riding Smile In that situation I take steps up to and including using the horn (if I see them creeping), but you do reach a point where if they decide to go there isn't much you can do about it.

I remember on my DAS training they were getting us to slow to 40 (on a NSL road) when approaching a junction, I'll be honest I didn't see the point as you're still going to have an accident if someone pulls out at that speed.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Going too fast on roads you know well? I'm as guilty of that at most.

I bet most of us are. But it's about where you choose to do it.

chickenstrip wrote:
On the news today (BBC North) was a report about a biker killed by a car pulling out onto a straight stretch of clear road along which he was travelling. His camera footage was shown.

Quote:
Do you have a link for that?

From 13:50:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08r2swy/look-north-north-east-and-cumbria-evening-news-24052017

M.C wrote:
Someone once told me if you think about a car pulling out on you it's time to stop riding Smile In that situation I take steps...

Then you are doing something right. This chap didn't appear to. I agree, you can't always avoid the idiots/blind drivers/whatever, but there are things you can do to reduce the risk. I like to think I've learned something in all my years of riding! Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:07 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:

If you can't see your full braking distance, you're going too fast.

The 'Slow' roadmarking was warning you of a hazard (in this case a kink in the road you couldn't see round followed by a place where people have a propensity to stop).

They are there for a reason. if you ignore them on a road you don't know exquisitly, you are a fool.

I suggest you give your licence back and reapply when you've developed some sense.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It's when an overly sensitive system increases your braking distance.

Which in reality was increased by inappropriate speed. Electronics are not a get out of jail free card.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:09 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I like to think I've learned something in all my years of riding! Wink

Don't eat the yellow snow?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08r2swy/look-north-north-east-and-cumbria-evening-news-24052017

M.C wrote:
Someone once told me if you think about a car pulling out on you it's time to stop riding Smile In that situation I take steps...

Then you are doing something right. This chap didn't appear to. I agree, you can't always avoid the idiots/blind drivers/whatever, but there are things you can do to reduce the risk. I like to think I've learned something in all my years of riding! Wink

Hmm... definitely a time to be cautious as cars have a habit of following each other out (rather than making their own obs). Also looks like the biker locked up/went down possibly headfirst into the car. I'd rather stay upright and hope to be thrown clear in that situation.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

M.C wrote:

Hmm... definitely a time to be cautious as cars have a habit of following each other out (rather than making their own obs). Also looks like the biker locked up/went down possibly headfirst into the car. I'd rather stay upright and hope to be thrown clear in that situation.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I like to think I've learned something in all my years of riding! Wink

Don't eat the yellow snow?

Laughing

No. It's that hedges may be forgiving, but it's what you hit after that's the problem Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'd rather stay upright and hope to be thrown clear in that situation.

I'd rather drop my speed on approach, giving myself time to assess whether I have been seen, move to the centre a bit, and avoid hitting him in the first place, but there you go...

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:24 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
mkjackary wrote:
https://youtu.be/CzzLTqjS1vk

Ouch. Shocked
So what's with the photoshopped-on arrows at 0:28? I assume I'm missing something obvious?

Pointing out that there are two people there, who have only just realised I was there, and how much worse it could have been if I binned it earlier and couldn't control where the bike went down.

rogerborg wrote:
Not sure if serious or just concussed.

IAM / RoSPA / Rozzers' golden rule is: always be able to stop comfortably on your side of the road within the distance you can see to be clear.

They don't necessarily ride that way, IME, but it's hard to argue against the principle. Doesn't matter if its an unloading loading lorry, a broken down car, a tree lying across the road, or a box of kittens. If you can't see that the road is clear, assume it's not, even if you've been down there a thousand times before without issues.
That bit is sarcasm. I know they are obviously there for a reason, just thought the sarcasm might take a bit away from the humiliation.
Yes, I know all that. Just got lazy. Similar to how I don't always check my mirrors before indicating, I know I should, but I don't always do it.
Well now atleast I will ride a bit more careful on blind corners all the time, not just when I want to be careful.

Also I know I'm doing 70 on GPS when I'm indicated doing just shy of 80. So I presume I was actually doing around 60, maybe even a hair less.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:22 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:
I'd rather stay upright and hope to be thrown clear in that situation.

I'd rather drop my speed on approach, giving myself time to assess whether I have been seen, move to the centre a bit, and avoid hitting him in the first place, but there you go...

Well in a perfect world Razz (and as long as they aren't turning into the opposite lane...but that is a rabbit hole I try not to go down).

Cheers for the link, but as for getting thrown clear? not necessarily a life saver.....

mkjackary wrote:
Just got lazy. Similar to how I don't always check my mirrors before indicating, I know I should, but I don't always do it.
Well now atleast I will ride a bit more careful on blind corners all the time, not just when I want to be careful.

It's all too easy to slip into bad habits. A risky overtake, a fast (er than safe) filter, assuming a car at a junction has seen you, going at the speed limit because you know the road.... we all do it, but your rolling the dice. It'll catch up with you in the end (its caught me once so far Razz)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15