Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 - Spill counter.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I have to say though, the Hornet does crash well, only other minor damage was smashed indicator bulb (lens was fine but scratched), scratched mirror, and scuffed bar end

£40 later for a new brake pedal, and it's good to go

But lesson learnt, and hopefully won't be doing it again

Oh yeah, i was fine too, a bit achy the following day though

Crash bungs? I always thought the engine casings looked a bit vulnerable on them.

undefined wrote:
Anybody looking for a crashed Thundercat? Very Happy

Paddy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:56 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

undefined wrote:

Posts without Paint diagrams do not count. Tut Tut

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
I have to say though, the Hornet does crash well, only other minor damage was smashed indicator bulb (lens was fine but scratched), scratched mirror, and scuffed bar end

£40 later for a new brake pedal, and it's good to go

But lesson learnt, and hopefully won't be doing it again

Oh yeah, i was fine too, a bit achy the following day though

Crash bungs? I always thought the engine casings looked a bit vulnerable on them.

Yep, it's got crash bungs fitted, did a great job of saving 95% of the bike

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
undefined wrote:

Posts without Paint diagrams do not count. Tut Tut

Go on then, here you go

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:58 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a true hero of the People's Republic of BCFia. Thumbs Up

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You are a true hero of the People's Republic of BCFia. Thumbs Up

Yay, acceptance at last Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:

i have to wear an nhs back brace thing which is shit but probably saved my back tonight, felt the chest support stab me in the throat so i did indeed get a bit of a fold when i landed.

If it's anything like the one they gave me, I wouldn't fancy riding with it on. Seems to me likely to cause worse injury in a crash. "Stabbed in the throat" could have been very serious for one thing!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:30 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you ride a bike when your back is so f*cked haha Very Happy i mean Kudos to you but surely its time to just get a car (or learn to drive if you cant)

Very Happy

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
How can you ride a bike when your back is so f*cked haha Very Happy i mean Kudos to you but surely its time to just get a car (or learn to drive if you cant)

Very Happy

because a year on its stable enough to ride with mild pain at the end of the journey and funnily the benefits available to someone with a bad back are that shit i was essentially forced to work so i didn't really have much choice but to ride for work, i can cage but i cannot justify cage money, i pay £60 a year to insure a 1000cc and can cut through traffic, car will cost me a good £800 a year to insure.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

28. (Paint diagram to follow).

On the way to work, turned off the main road onto a country lane, hit a sheet of black ice, bike weaved about a lot, I thought WTF is happening a lot, kissed tarmac/ice.

Bike damage is scuffed fairing, fooked brake lever and bent mirror.

Me damage is sore right knee and elbow but nothing serious.

I'm more pissed off than physically hurt. Sad

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:06 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:

Well, that'll be when you get your karma.

Compo claim in to council?

https://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/mcn-law-columns/can-i-claim-for-accident-caused-by-ice-on-the-road

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Dave70 wrote:

https://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/mcn-law-columns/can-i-claim-for-accident-caused-by-ice-on-the-road

Private road unfortunately.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Dave70 wrote:

Presumably when payment has been received too? I'm not a stingy Scotsman, so I can award karma when I want Razz

Unlucky Dave, glad it wasn't worse.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:

Does BCF demand a paint diagram even for an ice skid? Harsh. (Damage photos surely of more interest)?

Rogerborg wrote:

Hmm - if I post a paint diagram despite not having had an off, do I still get karma? Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Dave70 wrote:

"Interesting" - there does seem to be a fair bit of erm 'wriggle room' for councils. The road I live on is simultaneously remote (and probably at the end of any official gritting route that may or may not exist in some sort of codified form) yet also a popular means of getting from one town to another, for many vehicles. All week it's been icy and frosty all over from early in the morning to late morning, when some meagre sun has melted the worst of it.

Yesterday there were three cars on their sides in the very deep - i.e. 6ft deep - ditches, and a couple the day before.

Every morning and evening one guy goes passed on a scooter - unbelievable, as it's as much as most people can do to get from one side of the road to the other on foot. I expect this kid to potter by with feet down as out-riggers, but nope. Just bimbles by like it's summer. Someone needs to scout him for BSB.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Someone needs to scout him for BSB.

British Snow Bikers?

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 28. Now with pics. Very Happy

https://preview.ibb.co/n8580R/2017_12_16_18_15_59.jpg
image hosting api

https://preview.ibb.co/far976/2017_12_16_18_02_03.jpg

The road it happened on is a private road leading to the car park at work. They are denying any responsibility. I'm arguing that they have a duty of care and there are multiple sacks of grit at the side of the road where it happened, which have not been used. Even after reporting it this morning, nothing has been done and it's freezing up again, so will be getting a taxi home tonight.

Waiting for my unions legal bods to get back to me, to see if I have a case. Total damage is probably around £400.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:49 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Total damage is probably around £400.

Invoice, small claim. Nobody else really gives a toss about helping you out.
kramdra This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Riding in icy weather is at your own risk. You chose unsuitable transport/roads for the conditions. I would expect them to laugh in your face and sack you.

Public roads were fine, so my only mode of transport was entirely suitable.

The road covered in black ice was on works property and as such they have a duty of care to their staff. Also, no risk assessments appear to have been carried out on this area, which they are apparently obliged to to do.

Even after reporting the danger nothing has been done to address it (it is the only way to access the premises both by vehicle and on foot, so unless they expect employees to helicopter in to work, there is no other option. So hardly a road a chose to ride on).

Also found out that one of my colleagues slid straight out onto the main road in her car due to the entire road being covered in black ice.

As to them sacking me Laughing Do you have any idea how employment laws work in the real world? I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:17 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yehbut, if they used the grit to clear the road, they wouldn't have any grit left to not use to not clear the road. Folded arms

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have walked, got a bus, got a lift from another. I have been in the same situation, commuting 30 miles away, middle of nowhere. Changed my route for winter but still the last mile was risky, and I chose to take that risk. I could have parked up and walked the last mile.

They have the grit, you chose not to use it. As an employee that has noticed the danger, and an interest in the danger being removed, you said "not my job" and chose to get a taxi. Are you expecting that they hire someone specifically for the task?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
You could have walked, got a bus, got a lift from another. I have been in the same situation, commuting 30 miles away, middle of nowhere. Changed my route for winter but still the last mile was risky, and I chose to take that risk. I could have parked up and walked the last mile.

They have the grit, you chose not to use it. As an employee that has noticed the danger, and an interest in the danger being removed, you said "not my job" and chose to get a taxi. Are you expecting that they hire someone specifically for the task?

I imagine that your journey was even more potentially fatal, particularly from the height you appear to be at on that horse.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

You are correct, it is not my job to grit the road and car park, that is what we have a maintenance department.. However, you presume wrongly that I have not put any grit down. I actually did do this after discovering the problem.

As for walking, are you suggesting I walk on black ice? Get the bus you say, what bus would that be, seeing as no busses serve the area? Get a lift you say. From who? I was the only person coming on shift at that time.

All of this is irrelevant anyhow. The employer has a duty of care to staff on their premises. They failed to do this and as a result I suffered a financial loss.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:09 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the road publicly accessible?
If so they have a greater duty of care as members of the public may use that road.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15