Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 - Spill counter.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:07 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to crash, that's the place to do it, I guess. I hope Croyden's Finest give him the reaming he deserves.

Remember, when it goes to the (un)civil claim, let him lie his lies first, then produce the footage.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:42 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vidya needed brah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:53 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be spill #8..

I had my first accident on Saturday. Lessons learned:
- need to practice my emergency stops - went on instinct and grabbed front brake Embarassed
- proper protection is ace Thumbs Up
- foreigners can be dicks Middle Finger (and I am a foreigner >.>) but English folks are awesome

Stage 1: the approach - temporary lights at mini-roundabout means it's down to 1 lane. As I approach the light turns green and I think "great, I won't have to wait". Car leaving the carwash on my right and 2 cars at the light.
https://i66.tinypic.com/5o7fj9.png

Stage 2: the actions - both cars move past the light and I do a lifesaver over my right shoulder to ensure the car leaving the wash isn't going to cut me up
https://i68.tinypic.com/eanyqg.png

Stage 3: the fall - I turn forward and realise both cars, for unknown reasons, had hit their brakes after moving past the light. I'm assuming they were dingbats and were treating the roundabout as a roundabout rather than taking the right of way, but as the front vehicle was a van and I couldn't see anything past him, I honestly do not know.
At this point the road slopes upward and I had just reached the light. I reacted by grabbing my front brake - I know, rookie mistake - and the rear tire ends up slipping out from the back of the bike (I should note I wasn't at a high speed here, maybe 20mph? but I had been accelerating as I approached the light having just come off another roundabout).
Thus I failed miserably at keeping a straight line, dumped the bike, hit the ground face first, rolled, then lay there doing a self-assessment.
https://i65.tinypic.com/213n5sw.png

After said assessment, I got up and limped over to the bike to shut the engine off then sit by the side of the road. A little while after that is when the driver leaving the garage came over and said "you can't control bike". Mad (this was the foreigner)

Then actual sensible brits (a couple bikers) came over to make sure I was ok and offer assistance, helping me move the bike off the road.

Damage:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3762/33541673402_dc7be7d224_c.jpg

Mostly cosmetic, except for the missing clutch lever and having to move the passenger peg to the front so I could ride home (in second, the entire way, my poor Duc).

Well.. at least now I can have matching aftermarket clutch and brake levers Laughing

Last edited by Tigerlea on 12:55 - 28 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video or it didnt happen

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:07 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still confused what's actually caused you to crash , if you were coming upto the lights at 20mph there's no need for an emergency stop ? Just poor planning I think

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:12 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
I'm still confused what's actually caused you to crash , if you were coming upto the lights at 20mph there's no need for an emergency stop ? Just poor planning I think

I was accelerating toward the lights, I was only going about 20mph when it happened.

Basically I turned over my shoulder to make sure I wasn't being cut up, looked forward, glanced again as I made the switch (habit from driving) and when I looked forward again the cars had stopped and I was a lot closer to vehicles that weren't moving Thinking Instead of pulling a gradual slowdown I grabbed the brake, like an idiot, and because I was going slow the bike.. well.. did what it was supposed to. It stopped. Doh! But not a dead stop, a 'back tire spun out and bike went down on it's side' stop.

This stop was mostly front brake, barely any back brake, because I haven't fixed my bent rear brake lever yet.. It's very possible, and I put this down to my own procrastination, that had I had a brake lever that went under my foot instead of beside it this may never have happened at all. Embarassed

Last edited by Tigerlea on 14:07 - 28 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was accelerating toward the lights, I was only about 20 when it happened

How old are you now then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:08 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Quote:
I was accelerating toward the lights, I was only about 20 when it happened

How old are you now then?

20 and 2 days Rolling Eyes

Edited the original

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
I think this would be spill #8..

Firstly, I think we can all applaud the excellent paint skils Thumbs Up

Congrats on bouncing well and, while annoying, bike looks very fixable as you've said.

Nice to hear that some Guildfordians actually offered to help too. Most of the time they would run you over to make sure they got to Waitrose at the time they had planned.

In the end, as an armchair know-it-all who wasn't there, it looks a simple case of looking back while going forward.
If you changed road position earlier / did lifesaver earlier, that gives you more time for shenanigans in front.
2 second rule to stuff in front, add a little to cover your shoulder check. So 2.5 second gap in dry.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Most pathetic effort #9 Reply with quote

NUMBER 9?!
1 MPH is a record on here no? Embarassed
Glad I was wearing leather. Cool

grrr666 called it already - severe disklock forgetfulness syndrome.
https://i.imgur.com/dXy5nO5.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the prevented theft to unintentional drop ratio's for disc locks?

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Most pathetic effort #9 Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
NUMBER 9?!

You need a Lockpal. It saves embarrassment. Wink

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockpal? Great idea! If you leave it on it shouts sperg at you and pretends to be more than one disc lock

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Most pathetic effort #9 Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
NUMBER 9?!

You need a Lockpal. It saves embarrassment. Wink

True - I'll post video with real life swearing when I can be arsed editing it down.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:02 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get an Abus disk lock with alarm ...

I've got one (had it for about 3 years now) and it's saved my arse a few times from falling over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ERFbZkCguM

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:17 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
You need to get an Abus disk lock with alarm ...

I got an Abus to replace my Oxford alarm. Never used a disclock before.. Forgot I even had it on.

Went to stand the bike up and the alarm started going off straight away. I call that a success Thumbs Up

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:40 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
I got an Abus to replace my Oxford alarm. Never used a disclock before.. Forgot I even had it on.

Went to stand the bike up and the alarm started going off straight away. I call that a success Thumbs Up

They can be quite sensitive and some strong gusts of wind have set them off before. Still would recommend them though.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running late for work, jumped off the bike without putting the side stand down. Tried to catch it but couldn't stop it's momentum, i ended up laying it down very gently.
Slight mark on the engine casing and dented pride

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

counting is hard

<count-to-potato.jpg>

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:03 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I wonder what the prevented theft to unintentional drop ratio's for disc locks?

Personally? Low, but that is mostly due me pushing the drop side of that ratio up with a determination not seen in other areas of my life(on the weird ER5 lefthand disc I even managed to smash the speedo cable housing when I did it).

One of those cheap neon yellow plastic cable reminders has staved off a repeat on the new bike....so far

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropped my old divvy 3 times because of the disc lock... fucking thing got thrown in the bin after that

Asharin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrippleTron wrote:
dropped my old divvy 3 times because of the disc lock... fucking thing got thrown in the bin after that

...so what bike did you get next? Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

#10 Henstridge Airfield bike night.

For those not in SW Forum, had arranged to attend a open night at Henstridge Airfield with a few local members.
Has a mishap en route meaning I never got there at all. In addition this happened on my birthday at mileage 1018 Clapping

Most of this post is copypasta from regional forum.

Hmmm. Yup, I had an off. Except I never actually came off, but climbed off with dignity once the vehicle had stopped moving. Cool
I was travelling at maybe 3mph. Brick Wall Rode it right to the bottom of a ditch failing at a U-turn on loose gravelly tarmac
that was the entrance to a farm. Was following mate who had the sat nav in his car. We took a wrong turn and ended up the
other side of the airfield so pulled into a farm entrance to turn around. I tried to do a wide arc as the surface was in poor
condition, broken up potholes and gravelly, trying to stay as upright as possible & avoiding as much of the surface
damage as I could and well, the pics say the rest. The bikes booked into Fowlers next week for repair, which at
least will be for a new air intake thingy and a new radiator. I got off very lightly I think. I didn't even knock my
mirrors out of adjustment. Laughing Will see off a few hundred quid fixing the thing, and I'll see about getting the frame
scuff tidied up at a bodyshop when I can ride it again.

So much birthday fail.
https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/44ditchbike._zps6bc3esjw.jpg

Up close damage.
https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/44closeup_zpszfo7gqti.jpg

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/44not%20in%20ditchdiagram_zps0gpsaocg.jpg

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/44false%20grassdiagram.1_zpso4i22drx.jpg

Red brick shows the path of the fail...
https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/44wallofpain_zpsofc6rs5n.jpg

My Evotech rad protector also copped it so that's another 70 odd quid on top to 'protect' the new rad with a replacement
one of these which I've just ordered this evening.

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/Evotech%20radguard_zps29th1wga.jpg

I was lucky really I could have sustained some massively expensive damage but somehow I didn't.
And there was also the possibility of a nasty injury or two if I'd been a few inches further to the right which I also
escaped. I didn't even scuff my kit, boots or lid and zero injuries at all.

One to chalk to experience I think. Thinking No harm done really, my mate and I were able to lift the bike from the
ditch ourselves without any further damage. Then we sat there for two hours while we waited for recovery listening to
all the bikes howling along the runway as we were only a few hundred metres from the runway as the crow flies.
That was probably the most galling part. If the bike hadn't been squirting coolant, I could have and would have
continued my evening as planned.

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/44recovery_zpsr88c7cdp.jpg

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/44Satellitepic_zps1own5j8z.jpg

So near yet so far. Still, could have been worse. Rolling Eyes Gave the Service Manager at Fowlers a good laugh anyway with
the same pics. I'm waiting on prices at the mo but the bike will be with them in a few days and repaired pretty quickly if
they can have the parts in waiting and ready. Thumbs Up

I'm sitting comfortably.... Let the ridicule begin... Rolling Eyes

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent paint + google maps work Thumbs Up

Gutted.

As you say though, how quite so little damage was done is a blessing.
A ballache, a crying shame, but miraculous at the same time.

Quite good that your legs weren't mushed too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame damage so my offer's £200 Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15