Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Average speed cameras and a speed limit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feral Kid
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Average speed cameras and a speed limit Reply with quote

Can anyone advice how fast can you go when there is 40mph speed limit with average speed cameras? I've noticed on Westway where I travel quite often that when I go 40mph (shown on GPS) most of the cars that are overtaking me, are going much faster than I do.
I heard that it's 10% of speed limit + 2mph with normal speed cameras, but don't know if that applies to ASC too.
Also, are the GPS speedometers are showing your actual speed? How accurate are they?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:05 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Average speed cameras and a speed limit Reply with quote

Feral Kid wrote:
I heard that it's 10% of speed limit + 2mph with normal speed cameras,

No it isn't. That's maybe how many forces set them but it isn't a rule.

1mph over the limit and you can be done for it.

So the answer is, you can't exceed the speed limit past any speed camera and be garaunteed not to be proscuted for it.

With one caveat.

Most (but not all) average speed camera systems work by reading your front numberplate. So you would need to pass two rear-reading SPECS cameras before it would register an average speed for you. At this point we come down to how observant you are because they do throw in rear-reading ones occasionally.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:44 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Average speed cameras and a speed limit Reply with quote

Feral Kid wrote:

Also, are the GPS speedometers are showing your actual speed? How accurate are they?

Normally fairly accurate, but most will have a 1Hz refresh rate. So the speed can be out of date. Also they can sometimes have a bit of a brain fart and read massively worse for a reading (which still lasts a second).

All the best

Katy

Cali747
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got fined last year whilst driving my car, on new year's day going through those 13 mile roadworks on the A1 northbound up near Scotch Corner..They have those Average Speed cameras there and I was clocked doing 55MPH and the limit was 50... I do not know how they average it out though. Is it between cameras or over the entire section of the limit? Does anyone know how that works? I just assumed it was over the whole section but I guess that is why I got caught out by going a wee bit too fast between cameras.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its between two cameras (at the moment)

They do have plans to cover the entire planet in them and then intelligently figure it if you got from the start of your journey (Manchester) to the end of your journey (Nottingham) in a time that would have guaranteed you sped...

But thats years away yet. Shocked

I regularly to 56 / 57 in the 50s (average speed cameras) on the M6 when there are no workmen around.

You would need to be REALLY lucky (unlucky?) to get a massive clear run not being slowed down by other folk doing exactly 50 to allow your average to get high enough to get done..

I usually get about halfway between them at 56 and then get slowed right down to 50... Then they pull over then I get back up to 56, but by then we've left that "section" of average cameras and am now between the next two - where part of my starting speed was 50mph... (repeat)

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:23 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was done for 53 in 50 on the m6 last year. Not worth risking imo, cars may be overtaking you but they also may be going home to a fine.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
I was done for 53 in 50 on the m6 last year.

That's surprisingly low limit for prosecution (well, for blackmail).

They must be pretty confident about not having a technical challenge that would invalidate the whole racket.

Alternatively, they might fold like a Rainpal delivery promise if you sod off the FPN and invite them to prosecute. Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:38 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression was it's between any two cameras in the network you're on. But that each network only covers its own area for now.

So the ones in the 50 limits on the A1(M) are seperate networks for each 50 limit. Go over an average of 50 while you're in the limit and they'll get you but if you averaged 90mph between the last and first camera of two different 50 limits, you're fine (for now).

Conversely, the whole of the A9 in Scotland is one long SPECS system. So in theory you could leave the A9, horse it up a different road then rejoin it quite a distance further up. If your average between the last camera to "see" you and the latest one would have been over the limit, you'd get a fine.

The above is hypothetical but possible, it would also mean you'd have to have been absolutely honking it along the other roads but I could see it happening (say if you did Dalwhinnie to Kingussie. 15 miles on the A9, 20 miles on the Old Military Road which is a real hoot). My previous caveat still applies to the A9 system in particular. I've only seen one rear facer on that network.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the new ones on the A2 only work in 'fixed pairs' (when they get activated that is). There are several single ones stuck on the slip roads etc, and going Kent-bound at Black Prince there's one just before the off-slip and then a pair further up just before the 50 limit ends. If any of these were exclusively paired then there would be a gap in the cover. I think they now work in groups.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:07 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
I was done for 53 in 50 on the m6 last year. Not worth risking imo, cars may be overtaking you but they also may be going home to a fine.

I'd be smearing my plates with faeces if that happened to me.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:18 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This FOI reply suggests that speed is calculated between ANY two cameras using the new system:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/enquiry_about_the_coverage_of_ne

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:12 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
SophR so good wrote:
I was done for 53 in 50 on the m6 last year.

That's surprisingly low limit for prosecution (well, for blackmail).

They must be pretty confident about not having a technical challenge that would invalidate the whole racket.

Alternatively, they might fold like a Rainpal delivery promise if you sod off the FPN and invite them to prosecute. Thinking

I elected to not gamble and took the speed awareness course. I think I was actually doing a higher speed mostly tbh as it was midnight and nobody has ever worked on the m6.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:30 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play, I'd take the course, although I couldn't promise to not [citation needed] sperg-rage out during it.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:53 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can fail you if you do haha. You are allowed to stare blankly at a wall and dispute the finer interpretations of the highway code though. Good course for thickos though, myself and the other biker were the only ones who got 100% on their test 0.0

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

use satnav to get a good idea of how far your speedo overreads by. An indicated 85 on my bandit's clocks is about 70 on the satnav. I do the localish average 50 zones with i think 60 on my clocks, which is keeping up with traffic and perhaps slightly gaining. I cheat though becasue satnav monitors average speed in zones it knows about.

Vandervecken
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:21 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on quite a few factor
Each different Police force sets its own limits North Wales and Essex used to have parity not sure they still do? think Scotland is heading that way if it has not already.

The level at which prosecution happens is also set by each force, and at what speed what sanction is appropriate.
Therefore there is no difference between and average speed camera and a fixed point as far as being prosecuted.

The 10% +2 thing is ACPO guidelines so though most police forces adhere to these there is no legal reason they can't drop below this level for acting. Though in reality I would have thought that if set very close to or at the speed limit so much paperwork would be generated the department dealing with the sending of letters would be inundated.

There are a lot of dummy and inactive average speed cameras out there too but your guess is as good as mine on that one .

What level your speedo is set is a good one, mines approx 10% above speed limit. Never rely on this Wink

Long and short of it though is be aware and try not to get yourself in a position to receive an unpleasant and unexpected letter.
Though perhaps easier said than done.

Vandervecken
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:25 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on quite a few factor
Each different Police force sets its own limits North Wales and Essex used to have parity not sure they still do? think Scotland is heading that way if it has not already.

The level at which prosecution happens is also set by each force, and at what speed what sanction is appropriate.
Therefore there is no difference between and average speed camera and a fixed point as far as being prosecuted.

The 10% +2 thing is ACPO guidelines so though most police forces adhere to these there is no legal reason they can't drop below this level for acting. Though in reality I would have thought that if set very close to or at the speed limit so much paperwork would be generated the department dealing with the sending of letters would be inundated.

There are a lot of dummy and inactive average speed cameras out there too but your guess is as good as mine on that one .

What level your speedo is set is a good one, mines approx 10% above speed limit. Never rely on this Wink

Long and short of it though is be aware and try not to get yourself in a position to receive an unpleasant and unexpected letter.
Though perhaps easier said than done.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
becasue satnav monitors average speed in zones it knows about.

Interesting feature, which satnav do you have?

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:

I have a 3yo Tom Tom Golive 1005 that does averages, when entering the start of the zone it places a line under the speed display and calculates your average, although it only does it for whole section, not between cameras, still it was a usueful feature (don't use satnav anymore use built in one now)

I haven't noticed this feature on a Tom Tom Go we had, so wondering if it's a Golive feature or a dearer model feature.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copilot screams at you if you're speeding (say 30 in a 20 zone as everyone does). I've never tried it through an average camera zone but assuming it knows the speed on that bit of road it should work.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:

TomTom Rider 410. Is remarkably not crap so long as your phone doesn't hate you and turn off bluetooth internet connection sharing (for traffic and expanded search) Works well enough with summer gloves but not my thick winter gloves. Doesn't screw up in the rain. Could do more than go bing if a faster route becomes available. Included itinerary planning software Tyre is crap.

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:59 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have promised an update early this year to resolve the Bluetooth issues with the riders. I will believe it when I see it Wink

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can advice.

After a long time working on it I know the answer, though you're really not going to like it, it's...

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1