Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is 60 miles per day on a 125cc Motorcycle doable?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpz500 is what i'm using 110+ miles a day, mainly motorway. Serviceables are cheaper than the 600 bikes and if i stuff it, whilst heartbroken i'd be, it wouldn't cost a big chunk of my salary to replace. Thumbs Up

200 miles to a tank is doable for sure. I put fuel in at 180 miles into a tank as to not drag the crap in the tank through to the carbs. Whilst the engines look the same as the ER500.. they're not the same. Different cams and timing make it a much more enjoyable bike IMO. They're quick enough and will sit at 70-80 without much issue

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you swapped the 12miles of dual carriageway for 12miles through central then I'd say yes. Not many people used to pass me on the 125 through central London and virtually no one passes me on the 250. I really like little bikes but when half the journey is on long fast straight roads then there are more suitable machines. If the right varadero popped up locally for the right money, then I'd consider it. Otherwise I'd be looking at fazer.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with going bigger bike. I love my 125 and it's ideal for my current commute and running about in winter but for those miles it would be shit. Certainly do-able, and I would if I had to, but I don't so I won't. There are plenty of bigger bikes about for very little money these day so I also agree the best way forward is to set a max budget and see what's available within a reasonable distance. I do a gumtree search like that regularly just in case an interesting bargain crops up. Always very tempted (recently a nice VFR750 that went for a pittance) but I need to finish my CX500 rebuild first.

Last edited by kgm on 17:16 - 04 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:33 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how old you are. I went into a clothes store the other day and saw a young woman who worked in there running across the floor area and up the 2 flights of stairs to the mens department. Not exactly an athletic feat, but still a brief exertion of effort to change the intensity of her rhythm. My immediate reaction was surprise, because she probably had 4 more hours on her feet before her shift ended, and, in any case, I would never run for any employer no matter how 'urgently' my presence was needed. Not now, anyway. When I was in my 20s I did. But then, everything seemed exciting and new and about to give way to better things.

That said, I have done a significant commuting distance (albeit quite a bit shorter than 30 miles each way) a few times on a 125 last winter. It wasn't any fun at all, because of rush hour, the cold, the high concentration needed to deal with road surface and other traffic, etc. I arrived slightly tired, as if I'd been out running, while everyone who had commuted by car was barely awake. When it was time to go home, the journey felt much longer, and I was already rueing having to do the same journey the next day! Basically, 125s are no fun for that commuting distance. It would be great if they were, because they cost much less to run. A big difference from your CBR.

As Tef says, it depends how hardy you are, which in turn depends on how hardy you want to be.

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:49 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to commute 90 miles a day on my GPZ500 and in the Winter on snowy/icy/frosty roads these tyres were a godsend:

https://en.reifenwerk-heidenau.com/modules/reifenliste/view.php?lang=en&point=5&rtyp=17&profil=102&pic=59

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:12 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpe2002 wrote:
Serviceables are cheaper than the 600 bikes

All 600s are equally expensive to service now?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2002 CBR600f

Almost not worth claiming for. If they write it off your policy will be cancelled so you'll end up with loss of NCD, loading for several years AND stumping up for another policy right away to get back on the road, with extra loadings included.

Cancel the claim, fix with ebay bits, ride it as a rat. Keep your NCD and save doubling your premium for the next 2 years and the money the bike is still worth as a rat when re-sold coupled with the premium/NCD savings will all add up to more than you'll get paid out most likely.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jim Mc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:22 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike will cope easily with that distance. My cbr125 was very comfortable and fun, more so than a bigger bike I found as it screams everywhere you go and you learn the lines of the road so you don't lose speed on corners to make your commute as efficient as possible. You will probably need to fuel up every day though and as you probably realise overtaking is dodgy.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Mc wrote:
The bike will cope easily with that distance. My cbr125 was very comfortable and fun, more so than a bigger bike I found as it screams everywhere you go and you learn the lines of the road so you don't lose speed on corners to make your commute as efficient as possible. You will probably need to fuel up every day though and as you probably realise overtaking is dodgy.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:29 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best results you should do what Pete say and don't do what Jim Mc says. Wink

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:42 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Quote:
2002 CBR600f

Almost not worth claiming for. If they write it off your policy will be cancelled so you'll end up with loss of NCD, loading for several years AND stumping up for another policy right away to get back on the road, with extra loadings included.

Cancel the claim, fix with ebay bits, ride it as a rat. Keep your NCD and save doubling your premium for the next 2 years and the money the bike is still worth as a rat when re-sold coupled with the premium/NCD savings will all add up to more than you'll get paid out most likely.

Is the bloke who owns the parked car he hit claiming though?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

Is the bloke who owns the parked car he hit claiming though?

Missed that tucked-away detail. The OP says he 'came off' not smashed into a parked car. It does complicate it somewhat.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:07 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update for anyone who's interested!
I took a '96 Virago 535 out and it felt like what I'd imagined a 125cc would feel like so that shuts the door on that chapter!

I'm going to see a Bandit 650s which I think I will end up having.

My insurance company have offered me £1,875 for my 2002 CBR 600F. (on Auto trader they go for about £2,200. And they've said that I can buy it back for £600 which I think I'll do. I've been speaking to a company who say they might be able to straighten my forks for £150 if not they will make me a new set for £250. The CBR will then become my "Frosty road day bike"!

Thanks for all the tips.

tsmith wrote:
used to commute 90 miles a day on my GPZ500 and in the Winter on snowy/icy/frosty roads these tyres were a godsend:

https://en.reifenwerk-heidenau.com/modules/reifenliste/view.php?lang=en&point=5&rtyp=17&profil=102&pic=59

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:15 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them links to the ads on biketrader you've found to get them to increase their offer. Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_ wrote:
Small update for anyone who's interested!
I took a '96 Virago 535 out and it felt like what I'd imagined a 125cc would feel like so that shuts the door on that chapter!

I'm going to see a Bandit 650s which I think I will end up having.

My insurance company have offered me £1,875 for my 2002 CBR 600F. (on Auto trader they go for about £2,200. And they've said that I can buy it back for £600 which I think I'll do. I've been speaking to a company who say they might be able to straighten my forks for £150 if not they will make me a new set for £250. The CBR will then become my "Frosty road day bike"!

Thanks for all the tips.

tsmith wrote:

Buy-back seems high. I'd counter that and suggest 25% at the most. I bought one for 10%.

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I just read an article that says they must offer you a sum that will allow you to buy a like-for-like in a similar condition in your local area. All the insurer should deduct is the excess you agreed to when taking the policy.

Is it possible to check the condition of a wheel via photos?
Would someone mind telling me if they think this front wheel is any good?

Thanks.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR-600-F-SPORT-F4i-FS1-FS2-2001-2003-FRONT-REAR-WHEELS-/162341443660?hash=item25cc4dd84c:g:2MQAAOSwAuZX2tyl

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_ wrote:
I've been speaking to a company who say they might be able to straighten my forks for £150 if not they will make me a new set for £250. The CBR will then become my "Frosty road day bike"!

Dont do this. Replacement forks are cheap, I doubt 14 year old chrome plating will be much good after.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:14 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Buy-back seems high. I'd counter that and suggest 25% at the most. I bought one for 10%.

It feels like they're getting fly to owners turning a profit on write-offs.

However, I'd be surprised if they're being offered £600 for it by a salvage outfit if it's got both mechanical and cosmetic damage, so sure, treat their offers as their opening position.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pete. wrote:

It feels like they're getting fly to owners turning a profit on write-offs.

However, I'd be surprised if they're being offered £600 for it by a salvage outfit if it's got both mechanical and cosmetic damage, so sure, treat their offers as their opening position.

I don't know is what the usual deal is but I bet it's a token amount if anything at all. If you have to collect, store and dispose of a bike and deal with paperwork plus potential liabilities even 600 doesn't go very far.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_ wrote:
I took a '96 Virago 535 out and it felt like what I'd imagined a 125cc would feel like

The 535 isn't a great bike (pretty poor bike actually) but has multiples more torque than a 125 so would have been a better option than a 125 by some way for that type of journey.

You're much wiser to look at a 600 or keep your old bike (at the right price).

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:14 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke to them again and they are not budging on the price!

They are saying that because mine is on 61k they minus £15 per 1k miles, and that the "advertised prices" that I'm seeing on biketrader and MCN for other 2002's are not necessarily the "sold prices" and may be more because they include extras like warranties ect!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:35 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

60K? The closest I can find on eBay is a 2001 with 52,000 miles that closed at £1290. A 46,000 mileer 2002 was asking £1250.

I think their offer is fine, it's the £600 cost to you to retain the bike that's hooky. Maybe they have got a salvage monkey ready to hand over that to them (plus any extra costs), but I'd doubt it, not at that mileage with that damage.

If they won't budge, I'd be mildly minded to take the offered money, invite them to collect their bike (feel free to remove any extras first) then buy something fresher. It's a toss-up though, you're still £1275 up and could spend some of that sorting your CBR.

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:40 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple of 2002's going cheap, but they are both cat c.

What do you think a reasonable buy back price is?

Thanks.

Rogerborg wrote:
60K? The closest I can find on eBay is a 2001 with 52,000 miles that closed at £1290. A 46,000 mileer 2002 was asking £1250.

I think their offer is fine, it's the £600 cost to you to retain the bike that's hooky. Maybe they have got a salvage monkey ready to hand over that to them (plus any extra costs), but I'd doubt it, not at that mileage with that damage.

If they won't budge, I'd be mildly minded to take the offered money, invite them to collect their bike (feel free to remove any extras first) then buy something fresher. It's a toss-up though, you're still £1275 up and could spend some of that sorting your CBR.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:31 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to pay them at most £400.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351882498870 = rekt 2001, £430

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302141276533 = nice 2002, £820

Both with fewer miles than yours.

Those are the retail prices, not what the salvage outfit paid for them. If they paid £600 to the insurer then they got rinsed on the first and probably didn't turn a profit on the second either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3