Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BANDIT 6 VS ZXR 400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riderz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: BANDIT 6 VS ZXR 400 Reply with quote

So ive had a bandit on an A2 license for a while now. I bought it with 45K mileage for £1200. I had an accident after my front brake seized at 50mph I have since had work done and its running fine. However I can never get it out my mind that it wont happen again as no matter what I do the front brake does not feel right...

I may be picking up a ZXR 400 tomorrow for 2499 with just 17k Mileage for 2k from a dealer I have bought 3 bikes from.
Going to trade in my smashed up bandit and get the ZXR for 2K.

Is the ZXR reliable etc? Its looks in excellent condition im checking it out tomorrow with a good bit of service history Smile

All comments appreciated but the bandit needs to go as I cannot enjoy riding it at all anymore and I dont mind seeing her go for 500 seeing as its not in great condition and has 52k on the clock...

Thanks

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link?

Can you not get something better for £2.5k? Maybe a B1H?

Riderz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Link?

Can you not get something better for £2.5k? Maybe a B1H?

That's how much they go for these days. Should definately hold value :

https://www.budgetbikesuk.co.uk/used/kawasaki/zxr400/zxr-400/swindon/wiltshire/20007058

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a real SP? It's got a single seat unit but the paint job isn't quite right and it's got an MPH speedo (SP's were all J-spec but i guess the speedo could of been changed). Something doesn't sit quite right and i'd be asking more questions.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the MOT notes here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

It looks clean, but the frame is the wrong colour - so it's obviously been stripped right down (by somebody). Fairings may or may not be standard. I wouldn't place any premium on the mileage, since it's pretty much unverifiable (although not contradicted by MOT history).

You might be right. It could hold it's value. But it's not standard/original, which is usually what's important re. value.

But regardless of 'what they go for', could you not buy a better bike for £2.5k? A better sportsbike, assuming that's what you want.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the black frame Confused Assume it's it's been upside down on fire untill the dealer proves otherwise.

Riderz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Check the MOT notes here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

It looks clean, but the frame is the wrong colour - so it's obviously been stripped right down (by somebody). Fairings may or may not be standard. I wouldn't place any premium on the mileage, since it's pretty much unverifiable (although not contradicted by MOT history).

You might be right. It could hold it's value. But it's not standard/original, which is usually what's important re. value.

But regardless of 'what they go for', could you not buy a better bike for £2.5k? A better sportsbike, assuming that's what you want.

I'm on an A2 and I want a 4 cylinder sports bike. I checked the MOT and it doesn't look good. Maybe I'll just not bother then Sad
I can't keep the bandit anymore though with the constant fear of my front brakes seizing again....

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother for that money.

Weak brakes. Damaged indicator. Wrong colour frame. Suspect fairings. Engine not running on 4 cylinders, which could be fixed already, it could be a cheap(ish) fix, or it could be an difficult and very expensive problem. But once you've bought it, it's your problem to get the dealer to sort it out. Easier not to buy it.

I don't know what A2 limits you to, but a 400 is probably the best sportsbike you could ride. If you want something that will hold it's money, even if it's a bit of a mess, then buy a Honda VFR400 NC30.

Last edited by Alex A on 23:07 - 02 Feb 2017; edited 2 times in total

Riderz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
I wouldn't bother for that money.

Weak brakes. Damaged indicator. Wrong colour frame. Suspect fairings. Engine not running on 4 cylinders, which could be fixed already, it could be a cheap(ish) fix, or it could be an difficult and very expensive problem. But once you've bought it, it's your problem to get the dealer to sort it out. Easier not to buy it.

I don't know what A2 limits you to, but a 400 is probably the best sportsbike you could ride. If you want something that will hold it's money, even if it's a bit of a mess, then buy a Honda VFR400 NC30.

I would buy a vfr or rvf but they are going for around 4/8 grand I really wanted a ZXR but the mot is worrying me. He said the carbs need cleaning and that they would do it before I come Sad never mentioned the other shit

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riderz wrote:
He said the carbs need cleaning and that they would do it before I come Sad never mentioned the other shit

He might be right. The carbs could need cleaning.

Or the coils could be past it. Or the wiring could be shot. Or there could be physical wear to the engine (worn valves or rings).

You could end up in a cycle of it not being OK, then try something, then try something else, then something else etc. Not worth it.

Last edited by Alex A on 23:09 - 02 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:08 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Frame colour could well be original (the metallic maroon and the metallic blue ones had black frames), but the fairings have been played with. Top fairing looks like a GRP copy.

My guess is a blue or maroon one which someone has replaced the bodywork on.

All the best

Katy

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuild B6 calipers. Job jobbed.

Wait for something decent to come up to replace it.

Riderz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Riderz wrote:
He said the carbs need cleaning and that they would do it before I come Sad never mentioned the other shit

He might be right. The carbs could need cleaning.

Or the coils could be past it. Or the wiring could be shot. Or there could be physical wear to the engine (worn valves or rings).

You could end up in a cycle of it not being OK, then try something, then try something else, then something else etc. Not worth it.

Any suggestions then lol? Any other decent 400z that aren't more than 2K.
I hope they give me back my 100 pound holding deposit

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Wouldn't the fork bottoms be black too?

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:15 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the questions regarding condition/authenticity, could this bike even be ridden legally on a2? What sort of power do they make?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

Nice spot.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:24 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

Possibly, but far easier to paint the fork bottoms than the full frame. The silver on them doesn't look quite right so possible (could have had the forks replated and rebuilt), but the repainted calipers might be giving an illusion.

All the best

Katy

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chain looks a bit slack too

i know your restricted and all but i got my GSXR 1000 K1 with 18k miles for £1951 off ebay in novemeber 2016

theres deals out there you just gotta be patient and look real hard

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 05:48 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: BANDIT 6 VS ZXR 400 Reply with quote

Riderz wrote:
I had an accident after my front brake seized at 50mph

hmmmmmmmm

Anyway I would save the money for A and get a cheap 'restricted' a2 bike for now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:22 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riderz wrote:
That's how much they go for these days.

That's how much dealers are asking for them these days. How long have they not sold that one for? The last starry eyed A2er who linked to one hadn't spotted that it had been up for sale at the same price since 2015.

Riderz wrote:
Should definately hold value

Are you a dealer? Can you afford to sit on it for years?

Good luck getting half of that for it as a private seller, even if it were running.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:45 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd either rebuild the front brake caliper (£20 odd quid for a rebuild kit and a few hours to fit), or I'd buy a set of calipers, discs and a new master cylinder (basically strip the brakes off a breaking bike) and fit them so you know it's all been changed. At least then you have peace of mind.

I wouldn't bother spending any more money on a new bike.

Riderz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Riderz wrote:
That's how much they go for these days.

That's how much dealers are asking for them these days. How long have they not sold that one for? The last starry eyed A2er who linked to one hadn't spotted that it had been up for sale at the same price since 2015.

Riderz wrote:
Should definately hold value

Are you a dealer? Can you afford to sit on it for years?

Good luck getting half of that for it as a private seller, even if it were running.

Im sorry but I beg to differ if you check the market on these bikes there is no reason why it wouldn't sell for 2K I should lose like a maximum of 1/200 ?
Only issue being since I checked MOT it failed very badly....
I really don't want another bike that I Have to put all my money into as most the bikes I've had have all gone wrong apart from my hondas

Riderz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
If I were you I'd either rebuild the front brake caliper (£20 odd quid for a rebuild kit and a few hours to fit), or I'd buy a set of calipers, discs and a new master cylinder (basically strip the brakes off a breaking bike) and fit them so you know it's all been changed. At least then you have peace of mind.

I wouldn't bother spending any more money on a new bike.

The shop rebuilt them for me and I still feel they are not right. I have since replaced the master cylinder and has had no effect.

The brake binds with like 1 small touch on the lever and I still Have my front brake light disconnected as it stays on if I use the front brake.
No matter what I do I have issues with the brakes and I couldn't bare to have another accident I was very lucky the last few times

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riderz wrote:
?

Im sorry but I beg to differ if you check the market on these bikes there is no reason why it wouldn't sell for 2K I should lose like a maximum of 1/200 ?
I really don't want another bike that I Have to put all my money into as most the bikes I've had have all gone wrong apart from my hondas[/quote]

so you thought buying a 22 year old bike that was normally ragged would solve the reliability problem Shocked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riderz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Riderz wrote:
?

I really don't want another bike that I Have to put all my money into as most the bikes I've had have all gone wrong apart from my hondas

so you thought buying a 22 year old bike that was normally ragged would solve the reliability problem Shocked Shocked[/quote]

I just want something I enjoy riding but the fucking EU laws mean that any sport motorcycle that you can ride on A2 is the same price as a super bikes or sometimes more... it's low mileage at 17k but i just don't know what to do the bandit has to go though regardless.
There are literally no decent bikes that I can buy on this retarded license
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2