BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BikeTrac

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: BikeTrac Reply with quote

Just a note really, no point to the post other than to converse on the topic...

I've booked in to install the BikeTrac tracking system. Have read good things about it and for the price of a decent alarm installation it's not too bad of a cost. The £100 per year subscription is decent too imo given the level of security coverage you get in return.

That is all. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
security coverage

Without sounding like a dick, it's a vehicle recovery aid.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one fitted on my STR, gives piece of mind being able to login at any time to make sure it's still where you left it, an app would be nice though, but I guess it's in development...

You can set movement or geofence mode, it also geocaches journeys, and your speed (remember to turn this off if not required Laughing ). Another nice feature is bike down, if the bike tilts past a certain angle (not sure what exactly) you can set it to notify contacts in case you come off somewhere rural alone and are not conscious.

Don't forget to set service mode if moving the bike around without the key, I've had a couple calls checking in when I've forgotten, but always nice and friendly.

Also note - they've recently split off from RoadAngel group to do their own thing now.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, links?

Also, just made me think about garage security?

Is there anything I can link to my phone that will tell me when shitheads are in my garage?
I`m sure there is somethingy device thing/app

Just interested Thumbs Up

Last edited by pepperami on 17:26 - 03 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=biketrac

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

https://biketrac.co.uk/

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
it's a vehicle recovery aid.

Yes but not quite. It's also a tamper alert in the sense that should your bike be moved even in the slightest (could just be a nudge or someone lifting your cover off) you'll get a text straight away alerting you. If the movement/tampering continues then you get a call to let you know.

For me that text alert feature is worth the money as very rarely will people stop and look because an alarm is sounding, and even rarer is it for people to bother doing something about it.

Furthermore if you reside far from where you bike is parked you're unlikely to hear the alarm anyway to a text can atleast let you know something is up.

On top of that you also get the recovery feature thrown in which I consider to be a bonus for when the locks and chains fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one fitted on one bike, I'm thinking of getting one to go on the other bike too. Expensive initially but I now pay for a two year subscription which is £179.

Their Facebook page is pretty interesting with the recover stories on there, it seems that a lot of those Vespa things and GS's are getting nicked at the moment.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you people Thumbs Up

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

Yes but not quite. It's also a tamper alert in the sense that should your bike be moved even in the slightest (could just be a nudge or someone lifting your cover off) you'll get a text straight away alerting you. If the movement/tampering continues then you get a call to let you know.

I don't know how true that is, unless the newer units have this as an additional feature.

From my understanding it has movement detection, however this is GPS based, meaning that the bike needs to move about 1m-5m without the key in the ignition before it will alert.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

vice wrote:

I don't know how true that is, unless the newer units have this as an additional feature.

From my understanding it has movement detection, however this is GPS based, meaning that the bike needs to move about 5m (although I've had notifications with less) without the key in the ignition before it will alert.

Spoke to one of their fellows and it appears it is true, one of the main reasons I opted for this. I'm lead to believe there is a movement sensor similar to alarm systems which triggers the text. When the bike is moved 1m away from (not 5) it's parked location then you get a call.

I'm slightly in doubt now, might give them a call again to verify all of this before installation! Confused

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the t/c are a bit odd...

Recovery of a stolen vehicle
BikeTrac Limited also takes no responsibility if your BikeTrac unit has been installed incorrectly, resulting in malfunctioning of the system and/or theft of a vehicle

So their OFFICAL fitters fuck up and they will not cover you...

Subscribers must not attempt to recover a stolen vehicle (or any other asset fitted with BikeTrac). Subscribers must contact their local Police authority who will decide whether to utilise the BikeTrac system as part of their recovery and/or criminal investigation efforts.

So they will alert you, but you can't do anything other than contact the local police and hope they will use the tracking system data to recover your bike.

Perhaps before paying for this service. You ask local police if they have access to use any data..

If a vehicle is stolen and not recovered, BikeTrac Limited will not refund any pre-paid subscriptions.
All subscription charges and other payments under these terms must be paid in advance as set out on any order forms, online or in printing. There is a minimum of a 12 month subscription period,
All subscriptions may be terminated at any time in accordance with clause 8 below

Interesting as there is no mention of any ability to cancel by user should bike be stolen and not recovered and your right NOT to pay the rest of the 12 months.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

On top of that you also get the recovery feature thrown in which I consider to be a bonus for when the locks and chains fail.

Perhaps they need to update their t/c then....

Quote:
Recovery of a stolen vehicle (or other asset with BikeTrac fitted) is not currently part of the service provided. No liability will be accepted by BikeTrac Limited to recover a stolen or lost vehicle or asset, nor will BikeTrac Limited be liable to reimburse the owner should their vehicle not be recovered, or if it is damaged.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

Spoke to one of their fellows and it appears it is true, one of the main reasons I opted for this. I'm lead to believe there is a movement sensor similar to alarm systems which triggers the text. When the bike is moved 1m away from (not 5) it's parked location then you get a call.

I'm slightly in doubt now, might give them a call again to verify all of this before installation! Confused

They're generally sketchy with details as they don't want thieves having too much information on how things work exactly....

I've changed my post above as from my experience, with the unit I have, I find if I move the bike around in place, as in tilting it or rolling slightly back or forth there's no alert, the moment it moves more than 1-2m without the key, I get an alert.

I believe GPS only has a stated accuracy of around 5m, however sometimes it can be more accurate, depending on a number of things... I'm not sure if it's the GPS that triggers the movement alert or the other unit sensors Thinking but from my findings removing a cover wouldn't be enough to trigger it.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points of view.. will call them again and confirm some of this. Hopefully they'll be frank about it and not just go for the sell.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Perhaps they need to update their t/c then....

Quote:
Recovery of a stolen vehicle (or other asset with BikeTrac fitted) is not currently part of the service provided. No liability will be accepted by BikeTrac Limited to recover a stolen or lost vehicle or asset, nor will BikeTrac Limited be liable to reimburse the owner should their vehicle not be recovered, or if it is damaged.

they don't recover themselves, they assist the police in recovery... legal nonsense...

apparently 225 motorcycles fitted with biketrac were recovered last year with a recovery rate of 93% - saw a video someone posted on another thread where a similar company helped recover some guys R6 3 times

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so just spoke to them and the facts are as follows...

The bike has to be physically moving for 10-20 seconds within a 1-5m distance of it's parked location for the text alert. The 1-5m distance is dependent on strength of the GPS signal of where the bike is.

After the text there is a 5 minute countdown and if you don't either reset the system or contact them in that time they'll call you to confirm bike is OK. There is a movement sensor but it works in tandem with the GPS.

If then you confirm bike is missing you have to contact police to get a call log reference which you pass to BikeTrac. They then liaise with the police directly to assist in the recovery. Have confirmed Met police use them as "accredited source for vehicle recovery information" so the information they provide is used straight away without need for validating. Can't confirm for any other forces around the country.

The guy mentioned the reason they ask people not to go looking for the bike themselves is to cover their arses in case you get shanked by the local pikeys in the process of saving your pride and joy. Obviously they don't want that liability.

The device is under warranty for a year with BikeTrac and the fitting is covered by the fitters warranty. The shops they use have to provide warranty for the installation as part of the deal. Either way there is some sort of cover for potential bodge jobs.

Not exactly what I hoped it'll be but still better than nothing. I'll be getting one.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

vice wrote:

they don't recover themselves, they assist the police in recovery... legal nonsense...

apparently 225 motorcycles fitted with biketrac were recovered last year with a recovery rate of 93% - saw a video someone posted on another thread where a similar company helped recover some guys R6 3 times

Quote:

TheArchitect wrote:

Which implies that they will recover the bike for you.... I would take that to mean they will get the bike back to you after police have got it back.

Which will not be the case, as it will no doubt go to a pound to incur costs...

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:08 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my v2 speedo project ill be including a tracker built in... no subscription.

Just an accompanying app

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:57 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
should your bike be moved even in the slightest (could just be a nudge or someone lifting your cover off) you'll get a text straight away alerting you. If the movement/tampering continues then you get a call to let you know.

You can get much cheaper solutions that will alert you, but the critical difference is that BikeTrac do seem to liaise with and badger Dibble, and make it easy enough for them to recover it that they might actually bother to do so.

I mention this because knowing that your bike has been nicked and even approximately where it is (or was) does little to help get it back unless you've very lucky and it's left out in the open or in a totally unambiguous location. And even at that, you might have to storm it yourself rather than getting any help from the rozzers, who may even actively refuse to use your tracker to pinpoint it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't stealth without plod involvement be the far preferred option for many people that are highly emotional, angry, over excited and want to take their property back with whatever means.

If you could use own tracker to make the romantic notion of storming a building full of thugs to take your property back and a bit more besides wouldn't some people like this option?

A Range Rover full of pikeys found anoumonously down a dark lane with the insides splattered in blood might be the reasonable and appropriate course of action for some citizens?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: BikeTrac Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You can get much cheaper solutions that will alert you, but the critical difference is that BikeTrac do seem to liaise with and badger Dibble, and make it easy enough for them to recover it that they might actually bother to do so.

I mention this because knowing that your bike has been nicked and even approximately where it is (or was) does little to help get it back unless you've very lucky and it's left out in the open or in a totally unambiguous location. And even at that, you might have to storm it yourself rather than getting any help from the rozzers, who may even actively refuse to use your tracker to pinpoint it.

Exactly, the tracking methods they use are not just gps, they use gsm, rf and possibly a few others... the rf is enough for them to obtain a warrant immediately as the police trust these providers that at least the tracker is in the location they say it is and they can pinpoint this inside buildings and places where gps or gsm signals may not reach... as much as I'd like to think I'm a renegade hero who would be bashing doors down to get my own bike back, I'd prefer not to deal with the lawsuit that followed from the scumbags...

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed this fitting as a clause to my insurance.
Simply brushing past the bike has in the past caused me to get a call. It's a bit of a faff but nothing major, and yes, (if you were to be in the habit of speeding, ahem) the speed feature on the data ride logging could be rather embarrassing...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds really ideal then for a bike like an 1198 Ducati! Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:03 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/cn51sbj.png
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2