Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Zontes panther 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DannyPc
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:23 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Zontes panther 125 Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a 125 soon and I only have a budget of £800 (low I know) but I've seen Zontes bikes for sale and other makes like Sinnis (friend recently paid 1200 pounds for one), Lexmoto ect. Are they any good? What is the Zontes panthers top speed, should i look for a second hand jap bike? Whats your thoughts

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:48 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a used jap bike, ybr, cbf etc
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is £800 purely for the bike? Anyway go used Jap as rhys99 said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to not go chinese, if you find a bike that you like, in your budget range and is in good nick. Also, Zontes seem to get pretty decent reviews, although I can't vouch for them myself, as I haven't owned 1.

rhys99 wrote:

mmm, ybr, built in China, and the cbf, either China or India

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:43 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Zontes panther 125 Reply with quote

At that price level, you can't afford to be choosy. If you can bag a YBR, an unrusted CBF125, or even a low mileage late model Varadero within budget if you're very lucky, great. But you can't afford to turn your nose up at anything that comes up locally.

Buy the best bike with at least a year's MOT that you can find in budget, first checking that you can get insurance and spare parts for it. And I include Japanese bikes in that - there are plenty of Honda XLR125s out there with rusted out exhausts that "will sail through the MOT with a little TLC".

DannyPc wrote:
What is the Zontes panthers top speed

Pretty much the same as any other 10 - 12 hp commuter, i.e. about 10mph less than you'll want and 5mph less than you'll need when you hit any sort of hill or headwind.

I think DottyDuck on here liked to straddle her Panther and said nice enough things about it, but you're always starry eyed over your first bike. No reason to think that it will be any worse than the current crop of Chinese-made bikes. Spoiler: pretty much all commuters are now Chinese-made, regardless of the badge (CBF125 was India, the new CB125F is Chinese - I'd rather have the Chinee one).

I wouldn't be looking to pay £800 for one though. Anything used without a Japanese or Italian badge = £500. Whatever Zontes, Lexmoto, Sinnis or WK you buy will be worth that in short order, regardless of what you pay for it.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:02 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Zontes Monster for a while. Bit taller, bit wider, but the same engine as the Panther. It was pretty good.
I bought mine for £600 on a 13 plate. It had done about 7,000 kilometers.

It went forwards, backwards, left and right well enough.
The handlebars bent where I manhandled it, getting it around a bend in to my backgarden every day. But I called Zontes and bought some new ones for about £30.
The electric start on mine never worked (even when I bought it) so it was kick-started every day. Never had the inclination to fix it.
They were my only two niggles. There's two Zontes dealers in Peterborough where I live, so I knew that there was someplace to take it if I needed to.

In the end, I passed my test and sold it. Sold it for £650 too, so that was a bonus.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:13 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my YBR clone was nabbed, I was bidding on fleabay for a Zonte, which went for £400 ('12 plate in 2013).

They look ok, and I have heard good things from people that own them.

Alternatively, I have a CBF125 (2011) - I like the bike but definitely check out for excess rust. Also, the Varadero is a great shout if you can find one. There is (was?) one for sale near me recently that looked like it had been used for trekking around the world, had scratches, dents, tears in the fabric and was still up at £1200.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:31 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I threw the 'Dearo in there as a fantasy suggestion. If you see one in budget, snap it up. Short of that, it doesn't really matter what you get.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:20 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Varedero near me for £250. I reckon this is an error.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-motorbikes-scooters/125-honda-varadero/1208309167

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-motorbikes-scooters/125-honda-varadero/1208309167

Not starting at mo....

Still, if it's a quick fix then.

Everything about the advert screams chav spaz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:07 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's still for sale, it shouldn't be tomorrow when you turn up with a van.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:

I responded to that add within an hour of it going up - no reply.
suspect its a scam at that price.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a chinese bike if you can find one that's been looked afters, is in good nick, and is cheap.

Quality control is more important than where it's been made, hence the 'Jap' bikes built in China are generally better than the Chinese branded stuff. The exception to this is the CBF125 (not to be confused wiwth CB125F, the newer one). Those seem to rot pretty badly.

4 years ago I bought a 2001 Honda CG125 for £400. Used it every day for 4 months and apart from needing new tires and some very simple maintenance jobs it was solid, if a little rusty looking. I rebuilt it completely last year (including frame power coating and professional painting) at a cost of about £600 and it's great now. Solidly dependable. There's plenty of perfectly serviceable CGs around for about £500 that will never die if looked after.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:19 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

meggark wrote:
Nothing wrong with a chinese bike [...] the exception to this is the CBF125

In what part of China was the CBF125 made?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
meggark wrote:
Nothing wrong with a chinese bike [...] the exception to this is the CBF125

In what part of China was the CBF125 made?

The Honda CBF125.... manufactured by Honda's Indian subsidiary HMSI (Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India) from 2008.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£800 should bag you a decent ish YBR, especially this time of year.

There was a chap in Bristol selling one on FB for £800. Looked clean, 2008-09 I believe it was

However, if all you care about is top speed, I'd suggest taking a test instead

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know what bike the Zontes Panther is based on? I'm assuming CG-125 engine?

I'm helping a friend of a friend get theirs going.

14 plate, clean, tidy on first glance. But with parts of swing arm, and lower frame shocking amount of rust, bike kept in a carport out of the rain, with not many miles on the clock, though bought second hand

Owner did CBT, passed CBT last winter, went out on their Zontes later the same day had a major wobbly, scared themselves , locked it up and left it locked up and never rode it again, now are feeling brave cos sunny.

"Wheels seized, and won't start". I was told

Well, I put it on a centre stand, and rotated the wheels by hand, a little bit of resistance I think from rust/pads, but now spin freely. Tried to kick start it, but couldn't, I think cos alarm/immoblizer Rolling Eyes which started to make feeble beeping noises as I kicked the bike over.

I now have their battery charging, and will try again tomorrow for them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:05 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
does anyone know what bike the Zontes Panther is based on? I'm assuming CG-125 engine?

Looks like a CB125 OHC.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any mechanic type skills? Are you handy with DIY. If no to these questions then steer clear of Chinese Chinese made bikes.

It's not just about where they are made, it's quality control. A Chinese YBR is quality controlled by Yamaha, has a dealer network of support and a wealth of spares available.

The Chinese aficionados will say 'So do Zontes, WK, Lexmoto etc. have the support. I don't agree.

IMO the worst thing you can have as your first bike is something that keeps breaking, is stuck in the shed awaiting parts and to be honest could be downright dangerous.

My hat goes in the corner of the Japanese badged 2nd hand bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:33 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexmoto in particular seem to have been dropping parts support for their own bikes. Very disappointing, considering they started out as parts suppliers for other marques. I used to cautiously recommend them because of their parts support - not any more.

Westbeef
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:06 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
No reason to not go chinese, if you find a bike that you like, in your budget range and is in good nick. Also, Zontes seem to get pretty decent reviews, although I can't vouch for them myself, as I haven't owned 1.

rhys99 wrote:

mmm, ybr, built in China, and the cbf, either China or India

Except they're built in China under the QA of Honda and Yamaha to the Honda/Yamaha specs. It's totally different, and there's plenty of reasons to not go Chinese.

Sinnis/Zontes/Lexmoto Chinese companies using very low budget processes and materials. Buy a brand new chinese bike for £1500 and you'll be fixing it a lot more than a £1500 used CBF/YBR.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:15 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westbeef wrote:
Except they're built in China under the QA of Honda and Yamaha to the Honda/Yamaha specs.

How do those specifications differ?

Westbeef wrote:
Buy a brand new chinese bike for £1500 and you'll be fixing it a lot more than a £1500 used CBF/YBR.

A Jianshe Yamaha JS125 YBR?

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:28 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked a Sinnis Trackstar up last year for my Mrs for 600 quid, 3 years old and lived outside under a cover for all of that yet apart from the slightest rust staining on the rims (which you don't really notice after a clean over with an oily rag) it's in very straight condition.

I can't comment on reliability as she's not used it much due to buying it towards the end of summer and it just being a summer toy but fit and finish looks at least as good as any of the branded 125's we looked around.

Westbeef
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:42 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Westbeef wrote:
Except they're built in China under the QA of Honda and Yamaha to the Honda/Yamaha specs.

How do those specifications differ?

Than the Chinese specifications? I don't know the exact details, but Honda or Yamaha aren't going to let their bikes be thrown together to an unsatisfactory standard. How many new Jap 125s fall apart within 6 months? There must be a difference between the Japs specification to the Chinese ones, or there wouldn't be a such a gulf between the quality of the bikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:06 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westbeef wrote:
I don't know the exact details, but [I won't let that stop me making assumptions]

How many new Jap 125s fall apart within 6 months?

Let's have a look at these "Japanese" CBF125s built with Honda processes and materials to Honda QC standards.

wots wrote:
Mine had started to rust after 6 months, admittedly over the winter months but it had been treated with the scottoiler equivalent of ACF 50, supplied by the dealer and advised to use.

Finally took it in last week and the warranty guy advised the following needed replacing, but needed the authorisation from Honda, understandably.

Swing arm
Both Shock Absorbers
Hangers
Gear Shift Linkage
Brake pedal
Engine Covers (peeling apparently).
Exhaust

https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CBF125-Rusty/IMG_5697_zpseb0f9a4f.jpg~original
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CBF125-Rusty/IMG_5696_zpsbb352cd0.jpg~original
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CBF125-Rusty/IMG_5695_zpsc8e79671.jpg~original
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CBF125-Rusty/IMG_5694_zpsf50207f0.jpg~original
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CBF125-Rusty/IMG_5693_zpsaaee9d36.jpg~original
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CBF125-Rusty/IMG_5692_zps559114fc.jpg~original
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CBF125-Rusty/IMG_5690_zpsdf76bb66.jpg~original

Maybe that's a one off though.

Oh, wait.

Mark65 wrote:
As the title says, here is my brothers 12 plate cbf125, 724 miles as of sunday and hes only had it a few months. He garages the bike at night and keeps it under cover at work, he used acf 50 on it when he got it and this is now its condition.
His local Honda dealer tried to palm him of with the lack of mantainance routine, they refuse him a refund and he had to get trading standards in on it, the dealership told him they would replace it with another after first saying they would replace the parts, which he refused as the bike should not need new parts at this age really.
Now he tells me they are giving him the runaround on the replacement bike, so make up your own mind on honda build quality and customer service, and the worst part is his daughters new cbf is also heading this way, 5 grand spent on two bikes.

Mark

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86297
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86296
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86295
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86294
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86293
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86292
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86291
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86290
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=86289
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2