Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Applying for v5

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:50 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Applying for v5 Reply with quote

So there is a scooter with no tax, mot or insurance. The owner gave it to me today with the key but has returned the v5 to the dvla a few weeks ago.

How do I get the v5?

Do I need to apply for one via dvla as an abandoned vehicle?

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

send the new keepers slip off, or if you don't have that then appy for a V5c form (V62)

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:54 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep don't have the slip.

I'll send off the application form thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:04 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Applying for v5 Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
The owner gave it to me today with the key but has returned the v5 to the dvla a few weeks ago.

When you say this, what exactly did the owner do with the V5?

You can register a change of keeper or tell them it's been permanantly dismantled but you can't just "send it back". If you don't tell them who the new keeper is, you're still the keeper. They'd almost certainly send it back to him again if he just sent them the V5.

You can apply for a V5. You will have to pay for it. Chances are they'll then try to penalise the previous keeper for failing to notify them of a change of keeper, or for falsely notifying them it's been scrapped. They generally ask for £200.

Is it really his to give you?

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:07 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Applying for v5 Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
BillyJ wrote:
The owner gave it to me today with the key but has returned the v5 to the dvla a few weeks ago.

When you say this, what exactly did the owner do with the V5?

You can register a change of keeper or tell them it's been permanantly dismantled but you can't just "send it back". If you don't tell them who the new keeper is, you're still the keeper. They'd almost certainly send it back to him again if he just sent them the V5.

You can apply for a V5. You will have to pay for it. Chances are they'll then try to penalise the previous keeper for failing to notify them of a change of keeper, or for falsely notifying them it's been scrapped. They generally ask for £200.

Is it really his to give you?

Good question, I need to find out what he's done with it, I was told he 'sent it back' but it definitely is his to give to me.

Someone tried to steal it and left it in a state, he didn't tell insurance and just left it on the street for a while, it has since ran out of tax and mot and said he'll give it to me as he want nothing to do with it.

I know it sound fishy Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:15 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the previous owner has just lost the V5C. He can't meaningfully have "sent it in" - without new keeper details, DVLA can't and won't do anything with it.

You want the simplest, quickest solution, that won't result in either you or the previous keeper being pumped?

Send a letter to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA

Head it with the name and address of the previous keeper. Say that "you" (i.e. the old keeper) have sold the vehicle to actually-you, but that you've lost the V5C. Include the:

vehicle registration number
make and model
exact date of sale
name and address of the new keeper (i.e. actually-you)

See:
https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle/y/no/sold-it/sold-it-privately-to-a-person-or-business

If you're a-scared of getting 20 years in Strangeways, print out the exact same letter, then just get the old keeper to sign it. That keeps both of you square with The Man.

DVLA don't check signatures though, so you could just scrawl any old squiggle on it - I've done that with V5Cs before, no problems.

If this looks like a quicker, cheaper way than sending in a V62 request form and a £25 bribe for the DVLA to do the job that our taxes already pay for, I believe that it is. Don't let them know that the jig is up. Shhh!

Last edited by Rogerborg on 20:21 - 04 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:21 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have bought a bike and not received a V5 after four weeks or so you can apply using a V62 fill in all the details and as a new keeper you don't need to pay the £25 as I read it.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you have the new keepers slip.

I've just had to do this for the focarse..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:23 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_80 wrote:
If you have bought a bike and not received a V5 after four weeks or so you can apply using a V62 fill in all the details and as a new keeper you don't need to pay the £25 as I read it.

You do, unless you send in the V5C/2 new keeper slip, which OP doesn't have.

I was going to suggest sending in a V62 without any money and damning their eyes, but then I had the epiphany that sending in a letter "from" the previous keeper is more direct, helps them out too, and there's no requirement to pay anything. Heck, Royal Fail might even deliver it without a stamp on it. Wink

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:39 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you're right forgot the bit about new keeper slip.if sending payment definitely send recorded post.
Dvla are great at losing stuff.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:48 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.... So the old owner sent the v5 off changing the keeper to a random address so he would stop getting tickets for the bike since it had been left for a while and the parking tickets were stacking up.

So surely I just pay £25 and get it in my name?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:24 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
Ok.... So the old owner sent the v5 off changing the keeper to a random address so he would stop getting tickets for the bike since it had been left for a while and the parking tickets were stacking up.

Gutsy/pikey move, I hope that doesn't come back to sting him.

BillyJ wrote:
So surely I just pay £25 and get it in my name?

Yup. V62, monies, and wait. DVLA will write to J. Fakename at 69 Fakestreet, and wait for a response. When they don't get it, at some point they'll transfer keepership to you.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:13 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Gutsy/pikey move, I hope that doesn't come back to sting him.

I agree but it still made me laugh when I found out Laughing

Rogerborg wrote:

Yup. V62, monies, and wait. DVLA will write to J. Fakename at 69 Fakestreet, and wait for a response. When they don't get it, at some point they'll transfer keepership to you.

So what do I put? I'm the new keeper with date of change being after the last parking ticket and say the v5 was lost?

I don't want to put a reason that would make either him or me liable for the tickets.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:11 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
So what do I put? I'm the new keeper with date of change being after the last parking ticket and say the v5 was lost?

Sure, "It has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed".

I might give them a contact email address but definitely not a phone number - no need to risk being flustered by an unexpected call.

You can't unscrew the previous owner, but you don't have to do anything to help DVLA bum him either. In the unlikely event that they do get in touch, just stick to your story that you believe that the V5C was lost before you bought the vehicle.

You've done nothing wrong, and the DVLA won't care about you - they'll just be happy to have someone to mug in future.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

how well do you know person getting rid of scooter op

if dvla come back to him with any threats of fines etc whats to stop him saying you bought it before the parking fines but gave a false name and address
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:55 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
how well do you know person getting rid of scooter op

if dvla come back to him with any threats of fines etc whats to stop him saying you bought it before the parking fines but gave a false name and address

Not really well but I can say the same and they can't prove it...

It would just be his word against mine

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:26 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. They can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt which of you had it between the date the previous keeper said he'd passed it on to Mr Fakename, and the date you say you got it, which I would cheerfully put as today (the V5C being a liability, not an asset, as the previous keeper discovered).

No chance of a conviction for anyone, so no chance of a prosecution for anyone.

As the new keeper, you in particular are under no statutory obligation to tell them anything, not from whom or where or when or even that you obtained it. You're doing them a favour.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:31 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Exactly. They can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt which of you had it between the date the previous keeper said he'd passed it on to Mr Fakename, and the date you say you got it, which I would cheerfully put as today (the V5C being a liability, not an asset, as the previous keeper discovered).

No chance of a conviction for anyone, so no chance of a prosecution for anyone.

As the new keeper, you in particular are under no statutory obligation to tell them anything, not from whom or where or when or even that you obtained it. You're doing them a favour.

Thanks for clearing that up Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:54 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the registered keeper is not the same as being the owner. Says so on the document itself.

So he can have been the owner and is perfectly at liberty to sell/give it to you but not be the registered keeper.

If I were you, I would have a bill of sale made up between the two of you and both sign it. Make sure the date is on there. You can download templates.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1