Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR 600F Valve clearance help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

CBR600F ABS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: CBR 600F Valve clearance help Reply with quote

Hi, I have a CBR 600F 2013 I have got it booked in for a major service and was going to get the valve clearance done. The bike only has 8,000 on it, but was going to get it done just to keep on top. Is this a good idea or not? I am going to be doing a fair few miles this year so want it to be kept in good nick! Thankyou to everyone in advance, any help is appreciated

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be due at 16,000 in the book.
How many miles are you talking this year?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

CBR600F ABS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:58 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well around the 8k mark, I know this isnt a lot but just thought better to keep on top, plus I have been given a decent price to get it done with the major service. Oil change, filter change, new spark plugs, new K&N air filter, chain service, brake and coolant replacement, lubrication of all pivots etc, nut and bolt torque check, battery check and valve clearance all for the £345.

CBR600F ABS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it is worth doing then if I am going to be getting up to the 16K mark next year anyway? Does seem like a good price

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain they will just clean the cam case and tell you it has been done.
8000 is nothing for bucket and shim if the bike has been maintained.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most older cbr6's are still in spec at 32k if they ever get that far. My 02 was done at 35k and is now 80'ish, I'm not planning to check it. A replacement 20k engine is cheaper and likely in better condition.

IL4 engines are best left alone, most shops do not have time or care to do it properly.

CBR600F ABS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies, I have it booked in for Tuesday so am dropping it off tomorrow morning. I asked if they thought i should get it done and they advised me to get it done. But for the price it sounds good doesn't it? the work is to be carried out by a local independent garage, will it harm the bike to get the valve clearance done before 16K?

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hi guys, is this a good idea, it seems cheap?"

"Nah mate, I wouldn't bother, save your money until its needed"

"Good price thought right so I may as well?"

Face palm

CBR600F ABS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair do's, I suppose I was asking for that. We will see what happens now as it has gone in but in the future i will hold back on getting stuff done that isn't a necessity to early on

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I sounded harsh :p Hondas have a 16k schedule, that's to on the safe side, so at 8k the engine is barely ran in.

On my zx7r I did a valve check around 20k, and it needed 2 shims replacing and I moved a load around. But that bike has an 8k valve service interval, so is to be expected at 2.5x the interval mileage.

CBR600F ABS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you were right mate, I asked the garage and they said servicing goes off time or mileage which ever comes first & with it being four year olds they would advise me to get it done. But I am a little OCD with keeping on top of maintenance, but thought seen as I am probably going to get around 8k done this year I'd get the valve clearance done whilst I have it in for a service. hopefully all will be well but i will keep you informed. Thanks again

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600F ABS wrote:
No you were right mate, I asked the garage and they said servicing goes off time or mileage which ever comes first & with it being four year olds they would advise me to get it done. But I am a little OCD with keeping on top of maintenance, but thought seen as I am probably going to get around 8k done this year I'd get the valve clearance done whilst I have it in for a service. hopefully all will be well but i will keep you informed. Thanks again

Time is relevant for chemical / organic service items that can degrade with age, brake fluid, coolant, oil exposed to the air contaminated with moisture etc.

Mileage is relevant to mechanical wear items, valves, chain and sprockets etc.

MotorcycleMD
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:51 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Even though you probably have already had your bike serviced)
My personal experience with doing shim under valve services, 9 times out of 10 the clearances are within spec and not worth pulling cams to make changes on the first initial clearance inspection. I typically push owners to wait until there second valve inspection service to drop the money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1