Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Commuter tips please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:42 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Commuter tips please Reply with quote

I am about to start commuting and I'm trying to sort out the logistics of gearing/changing/staying warm.

In my office it shouldn't be a problem because I'll have a place to change and lockers to place my things but there are times where I have meetings with clients at their office or I might have to spend a week or so at the client site daily, does anyone have experience of doing this? What do you guys do when it comes to storing your gear when away from your office and of course to avoid walking into your client's office all geared up, not always a very professional impression as I'd be wearing a suit (packed in my bag to change into), I don't have a top box but I have a backpack which my boots and trousers can fit but not my jacket.

I'll appreciate any advice or hearing your experiences

Thanks
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do. i am currently sitting next to a clients rack room having ridden here for a bit of maintenance work. Here are my tips:

1. Get a top box. Ignore the haters. It is fantastic at keeping clothing dry and less likely to get creased in a rucksack.
2. If you need to go to a client and you dont want them to see you all geared up, take the car Laughing joking aside, take gear off in the street. It will probably fit in that top box from tip #1. Wear suit under bike gear
3. Staying warm, IMO and recent experience battling the cold, means layers. Lots of layers means a lot of clothes to pack away in that top box/rucksack. Heated grips coupled with bar muffs and quality gore text boots have saved me from the cold.

unfortunately winter bike commuting is a PITA in the put on/take off gear respect. I'd advise doing it for a month or so and finding out for yourself what works for you Thumbs Up

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:56 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I don't take part in that bullshit anymore, but I sized the client up first. Coutts & Co were a stuffy bunch of fuckers, as were Citibank, but Lombard and Selfridges didn't care as long as you got the work done.

Got the largest top box I could, textile trousers over suit trousers if cold/wet, otherwise just wore suit trousers. Jacket in top box with laptop, always wore plain black bike boots, so never needed to take shoes.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suit trousers worn under waterproofs / textiles / leathers (delete as appropriate)

Shoes left at work in a locker (get a cheap second pair if you only have 1!)

+1 for the topbox - but if thats not an option one of these (I use a 20L, but decide how much stuff you want to store in it):
https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/soft-luggage-kriega-us-5.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5Xq1gZBIJkLla5TTsdEBWgR883WAP3pEM1AHzCqgwJbbRoCm_Pw_wcB

Or one of these in addition the the above or instead of (If you dont have a lot of stuff):
https://www.getgeared.co.uk/oxford-m4r-lifetime-tank-n-tailer-bag-magnetic-4-litres-wp-all-colours?gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5Xq2Qvk1aQ6K_a9MNm6dL8c8MDtzMlbEp0YDxvlOZstMRoCOQvw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping_feed_gg17

I leave shoes and suit jacket at work, so the only things I need are toiletries and phone chargers and the like, so I use the magnetic tank bag only + my top box has breakdown tools and stuff in (Plus extra gloves and full waterproof suit in case of monsoon).

Arrive.
Secure bike.
Grab tank bag.
Helmet off.
Walk in.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't realise you could have business use on a provisional (presuming as 125cc bike in sig)

As said by others if you need to look smart take the car as getting into a suit in the street isn't a good idea

wearing a suit under bike gear will crease it, it wont be as warm as layered casual clothes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might sound really weird, but I've always struggled with the thought of people using a bike to get to work who work 100% of the time in a very smart professional office job, and who need to wear a suit and look smart.

I guess I just don't know many people in that line of work who ride bikes. All the people I know that commute on bikes are either factory or warehouse workers, site managers, engineers or electrical fitters etc.

Im just a fucker I guess, and I never can imagine accountants or solicitors, or office admin staff buzzing to work on the Fireblade or changing the oil and fitting new race can at the weekends.

I imagine office workers generally to like fast new cars on finance schemes, and say know that an Audi RS3 is fast, but not know what TFSI is or how a twin scroll turbocharger works, other than their car is quick and looks good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:35 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it a little to my normal office, and its still a pain but bearable.

Sod doing it to a client office, especially if impressions matter.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:40 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it a little to my normal office, and its still a pain but bearable.

Sod doing it to a client office, especially if impressions matter.
stevo as b4 wrote:
It might sound really weird, but I've always struggled with the thought of people using a bike to get to work who work 100% of the time in a very smart professional office job, and who need to wear a suit and look smart.

I guess I just don't know many people in that line of work who ride bikes. All the people I know that commute on bikes are either factory or warehouse workers, site managers, engineers or electrical fitters etc.

Im just a fucker I guess, and I never can imagine accountants or solicitors, or office admin staff buzzing to work on the Fireblade or changing the oil and fitting new race can at the weekends.

I imagine office workers generally to like fast new cars on finance schemes, and say know that an Audi RS3 is fast, but not know what TFSI is or how a twin scroll turbocharger works, other than their car is quick and looks good.

I:
Work in an office and have done since I finished uni
Have two bikes, both of which I look after myself
Have heavily modified 5-6 cars and not used a garage other than MOTs and tyre fitting.

I declare sweeping generalisations! I know many many people in manual jobs who buy new cars on finance every three years too, but there's no correlation really.

Last edited by B5234FT on 10:51 - 05 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:40 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was doing some work in St James Sq and I was very surprised by the number of bikes being ridden by fully suited blokes.

Water proofs and lids go in the top box / Under seat
Satchel / Brief case comes out and viola they are looking the business.

it didn't appear to be causing them much of an issue at all.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For long trips I've done it by riding 90% of the way in normal gear then stopping at the closest services and changing into suit trousers and shirt under my textiles in the loos. Then finally do dress shoes and suit jacket in the customer car park. Top box and panniers are excellent for this, holding riding boots and trousers in one, bike jacket in the other and lid in the top box.

Alternatively, in many places there is a visitor toilet in reception, and in my experience if you ask nicely most receptionists are happy to let you change before they sign you in and call your host.
<bodyguard>I have had them ask if I need any help changing Smile </bodyguard>
Top tip in life - be very nice to receptionists, admin staff and guards; they can make your life very easy or absolute hell.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

Top tip in life - be very nice to receptionists, admin staff and guards; they can make your life very easy or absolute hell.

Agree.

Thumbs Up

stevo as b4 wrote:

Dont judge a well dressed suited book by its cover. Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:26 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
didn't realise you could have business use on a provisional (presuming as 125cc bike in sig)

Insightful. OP, even if you've declared that you'll be "commuting", that generally means to a fixed place of work or study.

Probably won't be an issue, just if you do have an off or get tugged, be careful about where you say you were going. Folk have been done for no business use by Cu​nstable McJobsworth.

Oh, and +infinity to the biggest top box you can find. Forget how it looks. Even on a 125, you want something like this.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

All top executives, self included ride bicycles to work and change at work. My motorcycle is parked with pride next to the company cars in the basement car park.

I walk across the office floor looking like the Stig/bike courier until I can de-gear in my office.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:53 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
andyscooter wrote:

Insightful. OP, even if you've declared that you'll be "commuting", that generally means to a fixed place of work or study.

Correct, it is including commuting to a "normal" place of work as per the wording of my policy, my clients are "normal" I guess, but in any case, I wasn't going to a client site if I have an off Wink

Thanks everyone for the response, the general idea is that it's a PITA which I'm quite glad to hear because I was thinking the same thing. I did order a "universal" topbox (£25) a couple of months ago but it was such a faff to put on given the shape of the rack on my bike that I couldn't get it on and the build was so sh*t that I returned it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not judging on if you should ride to the office, or if it looks out of place or wrong, hell no! I personally would find it a pain to suit and de-suit every day at work, and I imagine summer is worse than winter if you insist on wearing protective gear, of which I would myself if I was commuting into and out of cities every day mixed with busy A-roads and motorways etc.

As you said plenty of cyclists do it every day too, and seem happy enough with the situation. You office people though in your big corporate towers probably have a big advantage though, as you often have showers, nice clean washrooms and secure storage/cloakrooms, not to mention often posh kitchen and dining areas/canteens or staff rooms to make changing and warming yourself up with a hot drink much easier. Laughing

It wouldn't be quite as much fun changing in the back of a cold filthy transit on a muddy building site. And sitting on a generator splashed in petrol to get changed and having all your kit bag and bike gear bashed around and covered in dirt.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:12 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I never can imagine accountants or solicitors, or office admin staff buzzing to work on the Fireblade or changing the oil and fitting new race can at the weekends...

I imagine office workers generally to like fast new cars on finance schemes, and say know that an Audi RS3 is fast, but not know what TFSI is or how a twin scroll turbocharger works, other than their car is quick and looks good

I guess I like having that part of my life where I actually have a life outside of work. I'm quite urban so I do like to do physical work and have that side to me, and I know of many people who are similar. Some people I've noticed don't like to do much away from work apart from going to theatres/musicals so I can see why you probably think the way you do. But instead of generalising, I think it just comes down to
stevo as b4 wrote:
I guess I just don't know many people in that line of work who ride bikes.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:14 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You office people though in your big corporate towers probably have a big advantage though, as you often have showers, nice clean washrooms and secure storage/cloakrooms, not to mention often posh kitchen and dining areas/canteens or staff rooms to make changing and warming yourself up with a hot drink much easier. Laughing

It wouldn't be quite as much fun changing in the back of a cold filthy transit on a muddy building site. And sitting on a generator splashed in petrol to get changed and having all your kit bag and bike gear bashed around and covered in dirt.

Lol I think that's it, both have their pros/cons, whilst I do dread commuting in the summer wearing protective gear over my shirt, hopefully I don't come in with grand canyon sized sweat patches

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:

Lol I think that's it, both have their pros/cons, whilst I do dread commuting in the summer wearing protective gear over my shirt, hopefully I don't come in with grand canyon sized sweat patches

I've done it up to 26 degrees ish. Textile jacket with air conditioning zips for the win.

But its mostly motorway speeds - so not much chance to slow down and overheat. I imagine city driving / stop-start would be hotter and result in severe sweatage!

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat is a pain if you can't shower. This summer my son was on a placement at my work, so I ended up using the Pan to pillion him in rather than coming on the naked bandit. Minimal air flow due to the fairings and an engine that cooks you isn't great in the high-20s we had this year Sad

For more extreme two wheeled commuting I used to go to Sweden most weeks. I sometimes cycled 25 miles to Heathrow, took the pannier off my push bike as my carry on and wheeled the bike into left luggage inside terminal 3 (secure bike storage indoors for £8/day). Walked through security still wearing lycra (no need for a pat down as it was obvious I wasn't carrying anything!) then showered and changed in the business lounge. Fly to Denmark, train to Sweden, jump on the bike I left at that end and cycle 30km to the office. I preferred that to taking the chauffeured Merc service that people at my grade were supposed to use for travel within the UK.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
I preferred that to taking the chauffeured Merc service that people at my grade were supposed to use for travel within the UK.

For real? Shocked

I commuted to Paris daily for a few months and used every ounce of the free car either end benefit.
Worst was daily commute to Dusseldorf but was made bearable by the 7 series waiting for me on the other end Very Happy

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:

Correct, it is including commuting to a "normal" place of work as per the wording of my policy, my clients are "normal" I guess, but in any case, I wasn't going to a client site if I have an off Wink

You may think clients are the normal place insurance company probably
wont
And how would you explain an off somewhere not on route to work when asked under meds for pain

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:24 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been to customer meetings before on my bike if I have to navigate the M25 in rush hour times to get there. It is a pain, and I've got a top box and panniers to store all my shit in.

I commute in to the City every day on it though and just leave work clothes in the office.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Hmm.

I have a wardrobe of sorts at work and I change out of my leathers as soon as I arrive. I often pass at the weekends whilst in the car and drop off shirts. Sometimes the wife will be in the area and bring them.

I keep a pair of shoes at work.

I have visited remote offices on bike but not often, not for 10 years and that was an emergency.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Probably won't be an issue, just if you do have an off or get tugged, be careful about where you say you were going. Folk have been done for no business use by Cu​nstable McJobsworth.

Yep a couple of years back they were setting up stops on the Old Kent Road specifically to check for business use entitlement, as a traffic cop told me.

Just be very careful what you say if you're going to different sites. A copper asks you what your job is and if it's one associated with different sites like mine they'll keep digging until they have reasonable cause to believe.

onlyJaz wrote:

The one-line wording isn't what you should read - it's the definition in the multi-page booklet.
I had a insurer flatly refuse to offer me SDP&commuting because I work on building sites. She explained that normal place of business means the same place every single day. Only loaded my premium about 20-odd quid for business use 1 so not really worth the ag of going under-insured.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Last edited by Pete. on 01:00 - 06 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2